Accessing Google Music - streaming to receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Setup:
Onkyo 515 receiver. Have zone 2 speakers set up for listening to music around the house. Music is stored both on Google Music and server on home network. Control zone 2 playback/volume/etc via the android remote control app for Onkyo.

Want:
I can play music from the server via the onkyo app. But the interface sucks and there's no way to use the playlists and such from my Google music account (GM is our main music source - the files on the server are mostly for local backup and storage). Is there any streaming device that can access google music? Ideally something that I could remote control via android phone, since there's no tv in the zone 2 areas of the house.

My current plan is to get a bluetooth audio receiver, hook that to analog inputs on the onkyo, and just use google music app on the phone to play music. That would work, but it'd also require the phone to stay within BT range and drain the battery. Something like the Nexus Q sounds close to what I want, but that's $200 used now (and people say the interface isn't great since google dropped production of the device).

So, back to the question. Do any streaming devices access GM? Or is there a better way than my BT plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like you're basically looking at the Nexus Q or a Google TV device (Logitech Revue, Vizio, etc.) if Google Music is the preferred streaming method. It's interesting we kind of have the opposite situation. I use Google Music for backup and my server as the primary source. I have Squeezebox devices in my house that access the music on my server which is also an option for you if you don't absolutely need to access GM
post #3 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Can you control any google tv devices from a phone? I don't want a tv in the bedroom where the speakers are just to be able to use the device.
post #4 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM

Yes, there are a few Google TV remote apps on both Android and iOS. I would just read the release notes on the Play Store for the app you pick because you may have to follow additional steps for certain Google TV devices like the Vizio Co-star
post #5 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Took a look at some googletv devices and some of the remote apps. Can't find a solid answer for this. Can any of them (any device/remote combo) let you browse google music on your phone and have the googletv device play it? The remote apps looked like they're just touch screen remotes, not a display for what the googletv device is doing. I want to browse and play music without needing a tv in the room.

I do have an ouya preordered, but that won't be coming till at least march.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-17-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I'm reviving this old thread. I've been using Google All Access for awhile now and am leaning toward this usurping my premium Spotify account. That one missing piece though is getting this to all of my sound systems. Two of them are directly connected to computers, but nothing is more friendly than Spotify plugin on Squeezebox for remote control. I have high hopes now that Google All Access has been publicly launched there will be some development for a squeezebox plugin.

post #7 of 25 Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I also have high hopes more companies will include Google Music streaming in their devices. With the upcoming rumored Google Media Device coming things may get a little easier then having to plug my phone into the receiver to use the service.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #8 of 25 Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM

Is it ok to revive this thread? Still don't see a good way to get GPMAA in to my receiver.
I currently run an hdmi to my tv, and put a wireless mouse in the living room, but this is not idea.
The iTunes app on android works sooooo good.

Also, I use g-ear on my iMac, an apple app that can play all your music (purchased or not) from GPMAA. I am hoping they come out with an android app to control their pc app.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have been using bubbleUPnP to stream anything on Google play all access. Only thing is it Reyes it to have been added to your library, thumbed up, and synced. I have a pioneer SC 1222 and it seems to send it via dlna. But through the receiver I cannot see what sing is next etc. But I do get meta minutes album art on the receiver.

I am going fit a better solution but this bought me some time. Also the free version of the app will only play for 30 minutes and week control the receiver (turn it on, change source, control volume).

If any one find anything better please let me know.
post #10 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a solution that works for me, although rudimentary. Since my PC is directly connected to a 2 zone receiver I have a bit of flexibility in using the Google Music web page, and from my Android phone or tablet I use a PC remote app called Universal Remote (also available for iOS).

There's no word when Google will be releasing APIs for access. I'm thinking it will be awhile before a full featured solution exists.

post #11 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 03:26 PM

Chromecast is now the main option for getting Google Music to your receiver. Hooks up via HDMI but you have to use a smartphone as the remote.
post #12 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 PM

I was hoping for an option that did not require turning on the TV. Also while I do have the chromecast set as the default device on the receiver it does not seem to auto switch input but will turn the TV on. We are getting there.....slowly
post #13 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I use the iControlAV 2012 app for my SC 1522, and I can access my music in my PC via network shares. It works okay. It doesn't have any other options such as "random play". It will only play which ever song is next. I can use by iPhones or iPads to control it.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #14 of 25 Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

I was hoping for an option that did not require turning on the TV. Also while I do have the chromecast set as the default device on the receiver it does not seem to auto switch input but will turn the TV on. We are getting there.....slowly

Interesting. I was at a music festival all weekend and unable to play with the Chromecast, but I look forward to working out a solution for Google Play this week. Hopefully others will share their experience.

post #15 of 25 Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 19
I don't need my TV turned on to listen to music with the chromecast through my receiver. Right now I'm streaming Sirius to it right now from my browser and the TV is not turned on.
post #16 of 25 Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I might be interested in the Chromecast mainly for listening music. I understand that you can stream music from your tablet or phone to it. So, if you are sending flac or 192 kbps source of music does the Chromecast play it or does it downmix? It appears that streaming music only works from PC / Laptop and not mobile devices.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #17 of 25 Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
post #18 of 25 Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Supported Media Types

https://developers.google.com/cast/supported_media_types

Thanks for that link. I Googled and found little information, and that helped make my decision to not buy this unit.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #19 of 25 Old 07-30-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have made the decision to upload your collection to Google Play, you can combine their library with your own for playback via their app or website. The caveat is that any content uploaded in FLAC or ALAC are transcoded and played back at 320kbps MP3. Based on what I've understood so far any local MP3 files on tablet or phone can be cast, for lossless formats we're out of luck.

I keep my personal collection local, so I must resort to using different apps and devices for in-home distribution. I'm sticking with Squeezebox or my directly-connected computer, but will explore existing and upcoming options (there should be a deluge) with Chromecast just for fun.

post #20 of 25 Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 AM

Liked: 31
You can't "Cast" a local MP3/music file (or a video file) from a device. On a device, you are limited to Google Play using Cloud storage. (However, as most of you know, you can upload an unlimited amount of your personal collection to GP). There will almost certainly be apps released, likely soon, to allow casting of local (read, device) files from a device to Chromecast.
Nethawk likes this.
post #21 of 25 Old 08-02-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

I don't need my TV turned on to listen to music with the chromecast through my receiver. Right now I'm streaming Sirius to it right now from my browser and the TV is not turned on.

Fits your CC turn your TV on at all? I can turn the TV off and listen to music through the chromecast, but still that unital command of turning it on is annoying at best. Plus the music interface is kind of Meh. That being said bubble still sends to work best for me for music as I get the sing name in the display and no command to turn on the TV. One day it will ask just work.
post #22 of 25 Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Alright guys, looks like we are getting closer. I am not home right now so cannot try this, but this is done by the same guys that did bubble upnp

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.upnpcast

Please let me (as a user)/them(as a developer) know how it works.

Here is there google plus page
https://plus.google.com/u/0/115387584836830082266/posts
CarlesSR likes this.
post #23 of 25 Old 09-14-2013, 06:01 AM

Did you manage to test it? I just downloaded it but I'm getting an error. Now investigating the issue...
post #24 of 25 Old 09-14-2013, 06:06 AM

Yeah. It has been working good. My only complaint is you cannot pause music. And selecting a point in the sing gives an error 500. Bit other than that it will play music and move to the next track.

The developer just released another update yesterday. Well try pause when I get a chance.

What error are you getting? Hit up the developer as he is really responsive. But the way I use the app is close everything on my phone, open the cast app, then hit the short cut in the app to open up play. Select renderer and push play.

Hope that helps.
CarlesSR likes this.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-15-2013, 11:52 AM

FInally getting it working. It seems the error might be cause of the receiver not being in the "desired" state (namely, in NET mode and with DLNA selected). It's an Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver.

It seems to be playing ok now, but I experience a lot of delay loading a song (resulting in an excessive pause between tracks). I think my LAN's performance might be to blame, but I have to dig further into it; the tablet is wireless, but the receiver is wired to the router.

Thanks for the reply!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page