Cheap streaming solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a debian server running pytivo that I use to store recorded shows. However, we only have Tivo's in two rooms so none of the other sets can benefit from the server. I have minidlna loaded on the server and use VLC to watch movies on my laptop via DLNA but I was looking for a cheap solution to stream movies to our two rooms that don't have Tivo's.

We are still in the caveman days and have all CRT's and no HD capabilities so that's not important to me. Probably SVideo would be best but one set does have composite available. I do prefer my war movies with 5.1 audio if that's possible and I have a stereo with optical input in one of the rooms that is surround sound capable.

I'm not trying to spend a lot on this solution (I was hoping maybe $40 per room even if I have to build a client PC with old parts), any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
A WDTV Live would do the job for around $99 though the price can vary, on Amazon you can get them as low as $64.

S-video is pretty rare these days, if you can find the old Popcornhour A-110 those have s-video outputs on them.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 02:51 PM

Liked: 11
Depending on the horsepower of your server, a Roku works great for streaming from a Plex server. I recently set this up and love it. The WAF is off the charts great.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarland View Post

Depending on the horsepower of your server, a Roku works great for streaming from a Plex server. I recently set this up and love it. The WAF is off the charts great.

I'm kind of confused on this, Plex server would run on my linux box and I can then use Roku on the sets or we can watch movies on computers with corresponding software. I see there are also a lot of plug ins but I'm not sure what those are about.

I should have said this from the start, my server is headless. Would that make a difference here? It appears Plex is like a player but you can view the output remotely???
post #5 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

A WDTV Live would do the job for around $99 though the price can vary, on Amazon you can get them as low as $64.
S-video is pretty rare these days, if you can find the old Popcornhour A-110 those have s-video outputs on them.

This looks like more of what I was thinking and it comes with N wireless which is an added plus. I can probably make the composite work.

Any other devices like this you can recommend? I have a WII and been trying to make that work but I can't seem to get the magic formula working...
post #6 of 12 Old 09-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Roku only support H.264/MKV/MP4 video and the Plex server must transcode anything else to make it work which needs a good PC class CPU on the server so if you don't meet those criteria then Plex/Roku is a bad option.

I think the WDTV Live should be good enough for the task, for better image quality you could try a player with component video output like the Pivos Aios for $89 and use a component to s-video cable but those will bump your costs.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all...
post #8 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post

I'm kind of confused on this, Plex server would run on my linux box and I can then use Roku on the sets or we can watch movies on computers with corresponding software. I see there are also a lot of plug ins but I'm not sure what those are about.

I should have said this from the start, my server is headless. Would that make a difference here? It appears Plex is like a player but you can view the output remotely???

You run the Linux version of the Plex Media Server on your Linux box. It takes care of the metadata and transcoding, if needed, to any device running a Plex client (including many DLNA devices). The Roku has an excellent Plex client and if the video is h.264 then you probably won't need to transcode it ( you will either Direct Stream or Direct Play it as though it were playing off directly attached storage). Older video using SD xvid or mpeg 2 is easily transcoded by even minimally powered servers. If you have an iDevice or an Android device there are Plex clients. The same for Sony's Google TV box which plays virtually everything without the need to transcode.

So, Plex Media Server running on your server (headless is fine) and Plex client running on whatever. In a way Plex Media Server+Plex Client = XBMC except that the clients can run on very low powered devices.

Philip
post #9 of 12 Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Liked: 11
To expand on pmcd's excellent answer, the Plex client can be a Roku, a mobile device, or a Windows computer. It is pretty close to universal. And the Plex server software is managed by a web page, so headless is actually preferred.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-14-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

You run the Linux version of the Plex Media Server on your Linux box. It takes care of the metadata and transcoding, if needed, to any device running a Plex client (including many DLNA devices). The Roku has an excellent Plex client and if the video is h.264 then you probably won't need to transcode it ( you will either Direct Stream or Direct Play it as though it were playing off directly attached storage). Older video using SD xvid or mpeg 2 is easily transcoded by even minimally powered servers. If you have an iDevice or an Android device there are Plex clients. The same for Sony's Google TV box which plays virtually everything without the need to transcode.
So, Plex Media Server running on your server (headless is fine) and Plex client running on whatever. In a way Plex Media Server+Plex Client = XBMC except that the clients can run on very low powered devices.
Philip
I've been trying for a few days with no luck, can someone point me to a step by step how to get this running on a debian box? I installed avahi and media plex but I can't figure out how to get it sttarted or how to make it run as a damean.

ps... I should have mentioned I found this http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/32852-plex-media-server-debian-repository/

but it doesn't work for me. I get this when I try to update the defaults
Code:
root@lenny:sbin# update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: script 'plexmediaserver' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for script `plexmediaserver'
insserv: Default-Stop  undefined, assuming empty stop  runlevel(s) for script `plexmediaserver'
Code:
root@lenny:sbin# update-rc.d plexmediaserver enable
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
update-rc.d: error: no runlevel symlinks to modify, aborting!
post #11 of 12 Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Nevermind, all you have to do is ask for help and it starts working...
post #12 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Just came back to say thanks, this Roku with plex media server is exactly what I was looking for and more. The wife and daughter really love the Roku and we might see the day when we get rid of cable.

THANKS!!!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming