DIY Personal Cloud/Home Media Server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there! So far i have one main PC that i share out it's single hdd to other machines in my home via LAN but i am now keen on a bigger/modular solution. What i am wondering about is a solution whereby

1. My files available both in a LAN network and any machine with internet access anywhere in the world
2. Some sort of login for internet access of files so relatives/friends could be the "trusted clients" that gain access
3. A cheap (hopefully free) software prolly linux based that allows files to be accessed by any machine regardless of OS
4. Nothing too big/grand a project - i am thinking just say 4-5 hdds each of 2-3TB capacity?
5. Possibly an option for clients to download content to machine

Has anyone have a solution that best fits the above? Thanks in advance to anyone who could help tongue.gif I am also hoping to run this on non server cheap hardware which i can scavenge or buy in the used market wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Will be curious to see what you find. I think PLEX will do the sharing portion, I'm in the process of setting that up now. Have a relative that moved across the state into a dish free apartment and has no access to live TV other than the much hated Comcast. Neither one of us will ever let them into our homes. Anyway back on topic, I'm recording some OTA stuff and hope to allow her to stream it via her Roku box. Just got her Roku set up today, will have to wait a bit to work on the PLEX sharing, but it looks promising.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whentrumpetsfade View Post

Hi there! So far i have one main PC that i share out it's single hdd to other machines in my home via LAN but i am now keen on a bigger/modular solution. What i am wondering about is a solution whereby
1. My files available both in a LAN network and any machine with internet access anywhere in the world
2. Some sort of login for internet access of files so relatives/friends could be the "trusted clients" that gain access
3. A cheap (hopefully free) software prolly linux based that allows files to be accessed by any machine regardless of OS
4. Nothing too big/grand a project - i am thinking just say 4-5 hdds each of 2-3TB capacity?
5. Possibly an option for clients to download content to machine
Has anyone have a solution that best fits the above? Thanks in advance to anyone who could help tongue.gif I am also hoping to run this on non server cheap hardware which i can scavenge or buy in the used market wink.gif

Most small NAS's will do this.
Something as small as a Shuttle KD20 OMNINAS would work fine and are under $200 (HDDs extra).
http://global.shuttle.com/news/productsDetail?productId=1629
http://www.slashgear.com/shuttle-omninas-kd20-2-bay-nas-starts-the-product-line-13247511/
http://www.slashgear.com/shuttle-omninas-kd20-nas-hands-on-06232407/

A Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo would do the same but does not have hot swappable HDDs.
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/home-and-small-office/linkstation-pro-duo-1

Edit
I got a 4 bay Bufflalo shell (no HDD) the other day for under $200 - it works fine for what it is.
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/home-and-small-office-nas/linkstation-pro-quad
Old 09-29-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Will be curious to see what you find. I think PLEX will do the sharing portion, I'm in the process of setting that up now. Have a relative that moved across the state into a dish free apartment and has no access to live TV other than the much hated Comcast. Neither one of us will ever let them into our homes. Anyway back on topic, I'm recording some OTA stuff and hope to allow her to stream it via her Roku box. Just got her Roku set up today, will have to wait a bit to work on the PLEX sharing, but it looks promising.

PLEX will be an excellent solution. You can easily share your server with another user via the myplex.com website that you log into with your user id once you make the server available online thru the preferences in the media manager. You'll have access with all the clients offered, Windows, Android, iOS and all that. Soon there will be a browser based media manager and content access as well. Good luck to you and the op.