MakeMKv - Anydvd - ClownBd = Confused - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need some help, getting more confused the more I read. eek.gif

I really like being able to view and manage my library via Media Browser, much easier than flipping disc etc.

I've been using MakeMKV and just picking a single audio track, highest quality, and the subtitles it suggests. But As I read more I'm wondering if I should change this process and start over, I've ripped 75 of my discs. Should I be using a different program? Should I be adding other audio tracks for compatibility if decided to stream to other TVs?

I want:
highest quality video and Audio
Ability to turn sub-titles on or off during play back
Future proof - I don't want to have to re-do it a year or two because something changed. IE: Oppo pulled the ability to play ISO rips.

Quality of the rip and ease of picking the movie, audio tracks and subs, is much more important than cost of the software to do it.

So what is the best software to use and what is the best output format with the easiest work flow? I'm probably asking the impossible.

Secondary question If decided to stream to TV other than the one with HTPC does this affect the choices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
No you don't need to use anything else.

Makemkv is the same content thats on the disc and the mkv container is the best option for this.
Quote:
Secondary question If decided to stream to TV other than the one with HTPC does this affect the choices?

Yes to a degree, most TV media players are not as robust as PC media players like XBMC for instance or dedicated set top box ones like HDI Dune players. The TV media player may not be able to handle the high bitrates from the Blu-ray spec MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264 video in the mkv container, they also may not support the Blu-ray subtitle format. TV media players are slowly improving but it's hard to say which could do this, Samsung's TV media player tends to be the leader of the pack but even the newest one may still fall short.

I think a dedicated player like a HDI Dune or even something cheaper like a WDTV Live may be necessary for those TV's.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Include other audio streams for compatibility if you want. Its a personal choice.

After ripping with MakeMKV, you can use the header editor in MKVMergeGUI to organize the MKV. You can put names on the various streams, change the 'default' stream, set subtitle streams to forced etc.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-30-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I believe it is a matter of preference and what works for your current set up. I used MakeMKV for my DVD movies only due to being easy to use. However, I've had a few issues ripping BD movies withe MakeMKV. Some movies had lip sync issues. So, I started using ClownBD and ripping main movie, HD and AC3 sound track, and subs. Recently, I started using ClownBD to rip and BR folder structure to keep chapters, which so far has worked pretty well, with the exception of forced subs not working. I usually have to turn the forced subs if they are not burned in, which isn't an issue for me since all I've got to do is press a "subtitle" button.

All of my TV Shows are DVD only. I don't really care about picture quality and sound for this since DVD quality is good enough for me. I use AnyDVD HD to rip them as main TV Show show ISO file.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #5 of 5 Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been using AnyDVD HD with ClownBD to rip the main movie to Blu-ray folder structure and retaining both the chapters, main English subtitle (preferably the non-SDH if it is available), and forced subtitle (if any). I prefer Blu-ray folder structure because every device I have tried can handle it with no problems since it is the native Blu-ray disc format without all the buggy BD or Java coding that can cause problems.

ClownBD can detect forced subtitles if they are marked as forced in the main subtitle track. If this is the case, then it will extract the forced subtitles and automatically mux (via tsmuxer) them as a separate subtitle track and automatically set it to play by default. If ClownBD does not detect the forced subtitle track because the forced subtitles are in a separate track, then I will use CorrectBD to set it to play by default. I also use CorrectBD to automatically play the main English subtitle track on foreign movies.

Still Learning
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page