Media Player with USB 3.0 host - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am new to actually posting on this forum but have read many many posts in search of answers. I hope this hasnt been discussed before (I have searched and came up empty).

I am looking for a media player that I can simply plug in my USB 3.0 external harddrive and can watch my movies/series etc. One would think this is a simple request however seems not.
Based on things I have read on the forum I figured out I need to find a player that has USB 3.0 Host and not only support.
I have found the following:

Himedia HD910A 3D Full HD 1080p HDMI 1.4 Blu-Ray ISO Media Player Realtek 1186
and
FANTEC 3DS4600 Media Player

Both claim to play 3D - although this doesnt really interest me at this point - may be useful in the future.

Can anyone tell me whether either of these will truly serve my purpose? Or are you aware of any other players that will work for me?

I am based in South Africa so will have to order in from the States or UK so want to be sure before I order anything.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 02:46 PM

Liked: 15
There's another problem with USB3, the host controller device itself has to be capable of handling the increased throughput. This means the CPU/SoC and I/O interface (SATA controller) of the media box has to be able to handle over 35MByte/s to see any benefit from USB3. On low end devices, this is not the case. Not sure about the two devices you describe, but for playback, USB2 should be fine since there is no media type you will be playing at >35MByte/s (only raw video would be there).

Your USB3 drives are backwards compatible with USB2.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks Grambo - it will just entail me moving all my media from my USB 3.0 drive to a USB 2.0 one - because despite my drive being backwards compatible like you said - the media box cant handle it... sigh...
post #4 of 5 Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Dragonsnapper,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsnapper View Post

. . . because despite my drive being backwards compatible like you said - the media box cant handle it... sigh...
Welcome to the forum.

Might your USB harddrive be a 3TB drive? Many media players don't support 3TB drives, but I haven't heard of one that didn't accept a USB-3 drive.

A USB-3 drive should look just like a USB-2 drive to the host when plugged into a USB-2 host-port. If there is truly a problem with your USB-3 drive, then it is the fault of the drive, not the media player. It would mean that the drive is non-compliant with USB-3 requirements. Does it actually have a USB-3 logo?

But I suspect the problem may be the size of the drive, and not USB.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Dragonsnapper,
Welcome to the forum.
Might your USB harddrive be a 3TB drive? Many media players don't support 3TB drives, but I haven't heard of one that didn't accept a USB-3 drive.
A USB-3 drive should look just like a USB-2 drive to the host when plugged into a USB-2 host-port. If there is truly a problem with your USB-3 drive, then it is the fault of the drive, not the media player. It would mean that the drive is non-compliant with USB-3 requirements. Does it actually have a USB-3 logo?
But I suspect the problem may be the size of the drive, and not USB.

Yep, I'm guessing >2TB drives might not be supported by the box (look for firmware updates), or maybe it's the format of the drive? Is it NTFS? Maybe the box only supports FAT32 (which would be odd).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming