Ripped Blu-rays: play movie only, vs play full disc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I want to rip full Blu-rays and have the option during playback to play movie-only or play full-disc with menus etc.

One way this could work: when I rip the disc, I tell my catalog software (e.g. MyMovies) which playlist, audio track, and forced sub track belongs to the main movie. Much like I do with ClownBD today. But rather than ripping this playlist into a new file, it simply records it in the database.

Later, when I browse through my movie collection, I select a movie, and the UI offers me a choice: play the previously chosen playlist ("Play Movie"), or launch the entire disc ("Play Disc").

This way, I get most of the benefits of ClownBD (no waiting for disc loading, obnoxious ads and trailers, etc), without losing the special features and other extras that I occasionally want to see.

One could even crowd-source the movie-only playlist info from other users who have ripped this same disc.

Is there such a system out there today? What would it take to create something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Scott,
I am confused or not understanding you here. Does your Dune player not give you the option to play the full disc or choose "bd-lite" (which would play the movie only when you select an iso?
When I choose an iso with my Dune I get a pop up that gives me the option of choosing "lite" or the full disc structure..
Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Scott,
I am confused or not understanding you here. Does your Dune player not give you the option to play the full disc or choose "bd-lite" (which would play the movie only when you select an iso?
When I choose an iso with my Dune I get a pop up that gives me the option of choosing "lite" or the full disc structure..

Yes, it does support BD-lite, which I confess I've never tried. But I'm pretty sure that won't handle forced subtitles properly. And can it always figure out which playlist is the right one, even in the face of copy protection nonsense like Screenpass?

I'd be very surprised if an automated method like BD-lite was reliable enough.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well, pretty much no players will give you full disc support with the exception being the current Dune players and PCH 200/300 series. Given that full br disc support will pretty much die with the next generation of players coming out, I doubt you will see much support given towards what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Well, pretty much no players will give you full disc support with the exception being the current Dune players and PCH 200/300 series. Given that full br disc support will pretty much die with the next generation of players coming out, I doubt you will see much support given towards what you are looking for.
I can only assume your statement implies that a BDA license would be required of new players for menu support which would carry Cinavia compliance with it. I was never under the impression that you needed a BDA license in order to support BD menus -- only to play commercial disks. You certainly don't need a BDA license to author a BD-R with menus -- i.e. MultiAVCHD.

Are you referring to something else that would end support for BD menus?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I can only assume your statement implies that a BDA license would be required of new players for menu support which would carry Cinavia compliance with it. I was never under the impression that you needed a BDA license in order to support BD menus -- only to play commercial disks. You certainly don't need a BDA license to author a BD-R with menus -- i.e. MultiAVCHD.
Are you referring to something else that would end support for BD menus?

I'm very interested in that statement as well. I'm kind of out of the loop on this stuff but I really want to be able to rip my blu-ray's (and DVD's) and get full menus, etc. I want it to be just like I popped the disc in.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

I want to rip full Blu-rays and have the option during playback to play movie-only or play full-disc with menus etc.

This is exactly what I want as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ 
Is there such a system out there today? What would it take to create something like this?

Unfortunately, no. Which is very frustrating, because the players are obviously capable of accessing a title/playlist directly (through BD-lite/DVD-lite functionality), and they're (at least some) also capable of playing full isos with full menu support. But, I haven't seen any player that lets you bypass BD-lite and access a playlist directly.

Boxee Box is extremely frustrating in this regard. In the file browser, you can browse a BD iso image and access a playlist directly, but in the movie library, if you have a BD iso image as the file for a movie, Boxee will only play the longest playlist, without giving you the option of browsing the image. Why couldn't they let you browse the image when identifying the movie, and select which playlist to use?

At the moment, I think the best option is to use XBMC, and add the functionality yourself (which may involve paying a programmer to do it), and donate the changes to XBMC. Once it's possible in one player, other players usually follows. Especially if people like the idea.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondmm View Post

This is exactly what I want as well.
Unfortunately, no. Which is very frustrating, because the players are obviously capable of accessing a title/playlist directly (through BD-lite/DVD-lite functionality), and they're (at least some) also capable of playing full isos with full menu support. But, I haven't seen any player that lets you bypass BD-lite and access a playlist directly.
Boxee Box is extremely frustrating in this regard. In the file browser, you can browse a BD iso image and access a playlist directly, but in the movie library, if you have a BD iso image as the file for a movie, Boxee will only play the longest playlist, without giving you the option of browsing the image. Why couldn't they let you browse the image when identifying the movie, and select which playlist to use?
At the moment, I think the best option is to use XBMC, and add the functionality yourself (which may involve paying a programmer to do it), and donate the changes to XBMC. Once it's possible in one player, other players usually follows. Especially if people like the idea.

Dune does it!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Dune does it!

How? It plays menus for BD iso. That's fine. You can also manually select the playlist you want with BD-lite. This also works fine.

But how can you get Dune to start playing a particular playlist from a BD iso, without opening the BD-lite menu? I've looked over the dune_folder.txt instructions many times without finding anything about this. AFAICT, there's nothing in the http interface that does it either.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
why would you want to do that ? I don't understand the point confused.gif Wouldn't it be easier (but time consuming I guess) to remux the ISO to movie only if you don't want the menu anymore and don't want to go through the playlist manually ?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:

But how can you get Dune to start playing a particular playlist from a BD iso, without opening the BD-lite menu? I've looked over the dune_folder.txt instructions many times without finding anything about this. AFAICT, there's nothing in the http interface that does it either.
How can any player do that if there is no information on the disk to provide such navigation. It sounds like you want something like an initial screen to come up that has two buttons -- one to launch the menu system and one to play the main title. Well a player can't come up with that functionality -- it has to be authored as part of the disk's menu system. Being able to browse the folder structure and manually select a playlist would seem to be about the best you could do with the a player -- knowing which playlist to select will be on you.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

How can any player do that if there is no information on the disk to provide such navigation. It sounds like you want something like an initial screen to come up that has two buttons -- one to launch the menu system and one to play the main title. Well a player can't come up with that functionality -- it has to be authored as part of the disk's menu system. Being able to browse the folder structure and manually select a playlist would seem to be about the best you could do with the a player -- knowing which playlist to select will be on you.

It's really not that difficult. It'll simply play the longest playlist, just like many players do today. If you see that it picks the wrong playlist, you manually select the right one, and then the player remembers your choice.

However, what I really had in mind, was when you're using zappity or other library builders, that you get the option of storing the playlist in the library as well, so that the player will play the right playlist directly when you select a movie or TV episode from the library.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

why would you want to do that ? I don't understand the point confused.gif Wouldn't it be easier (but time consuming I guess) to remux the ISO to movie only if you don't want the menu anymore and don't want to go through the playlist manually ?

Simple. I want it both ways.

In most cases, I just want to start the movie/episode directly, but I don't want to give up the option of playing the entire disc with full menus. So, if a player could jump directly to a specified playlist in an iso, it would be perfect. The frustrating part is that most players are actually capable of doing this, but not without navigating through the player's BD-lite menu first.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Why not just rip movie only and then put in the disk when you want to watch the extras?

Bill
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Why not just rip movie only and then put in the disk when you want to watch the extras?
Bill

Because the discs are packed in boxes stored in the attic. That way they don't take up so much space in my living room (or any other room, for that matter)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 870
I rip all my BDs to a full ISO. I have plenty of storage so this is not an issue. If I didn't have the storage then I would probably have considered ripping the movie only. But I never know if I want to watch the movie in full menu mode so I really prefer to always have a full BD ISO.

For the vast majority of titles there are no problems playing them in BD lite mode. I mainly use my Boxee Boxes for that. And when I want/need full BD menus I use my C200. Or I can use my C200 in BD lite mode as well.

I'm still debating on whether to pickup an A400 since it won't support full BD menus. If Boxee doesn't come out with a new Boxee Box then I'll most likely pickup the A400.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, what I really had in mind, was when you're using zappity or other library builders, that you get the option of storing the playlist in the library as well, so that the player will play the right playlist directly when you select a movie or TV episode from the library.

Exactly.

I think there are two things missing from today's systems: (1) a way to specify this info, and save it in the library; and (2) a way to tell the player to play a particular playlist, with a particular audio track, with a particular (forced) subtitle.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Because the discs are packed in boxes stored in the attic. That way they don't take up so much space in my living room (or any other room, for that matter)

Fair enough. I have over 500 BR's and never thought they took up all that much space but if that was the case why not just put the cases away and put the discs into CD books?

Bill
Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fair enough. I have over 500 BR's and never thought they took up all that much space but if that was the case why not just put the cases away and put the discs into CD books?
Bill

I want my system to work this way for the same reason that a dog licks his balls. (Because he can.) biggrin.gif
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

I want my system to work this way for the same reason that a dog licks his balls. (Because he can.) biggrin.gif

That pretty much covers it smile.gif
Quote:

Bill

Well, one of the reasons for that is that I've always wanted to have my entire library available at a touch of a button. I bought a 200 disc CD jukebox in 1998, and a 200 disc DVD jukebox a couple of years later. If it had been easier to expand jukeboxes (i.e. daisy chain multiple boxes) I'd probably never bothered with ripping in the first place.

Now, if I have to choose between movie only or full-disc, I'll always take the full disc. But, as I said, I want it both ways, preferably without using (almost) twice the disc space (but if that's what it takes, I'm willing to do that too)
Old 10-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, one of the reasons for that is that I've always wanted to have my entire library available at a touch of a button. I bought a 200 disc CD jukebox in 1998, and a 200 disc DVD jukebox a couple of years later. If it had been easier to expand jukeboxes (i.e. daisy chain multiple boxes) I'd probably never bothered with ripping in the first place.
Now, if I have to choose between movie only or full-disc, I'll always take the full disc. But, as I said, I want it both ways, preferably without using (almost) twice the disc space (but if that's what it takes, I'm willing to do that too)

Ripping both ways was going to be my other suggestion. You could have always done a few of the Sony changers before they got REAL hard to find.

Bill
Old 10-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I rip all my BDs to a full ISO. I have plenty of storage so this is not an issue. If I didn't have the storage then I would probably have considered ripping the movie only. But I never know if I want to watch the movie in full menu mode so I really prefer to always have a full BD ISO.
For the vast majority of titles there are no problems playing them in BD lite mode. I mainly use my Boxee Boxes for that. And when I want/need full BD menus I use my C200. Or I can use my C200 in BD lite mode as well.
I'm still debating on whether to pickup an A400 since it won't support full BD menus. If Boxee doesn't come out with a new Boxee Box then I'll most likely pickup the A400.

I can't believe you guys are considering the a400 when it has been 9 months and we still have HD audio dropouts with the 300 series...