Streaming Quality to Marantz receiver using JRiver and JRemote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. Hope someone can help with this.
I am currently using JRiver in server mode on Win7 OS to stream WAV files to my Marantz SR6006 reciever. I am controlling with JRemote. The files play ok but show up on the receiver as MP3. I cannot figure out how to get them to play as a WAV file and of course I want the best possible quality. I do note on JRemote there is a streaming quality option in settings but it is limited to 64, 128 or 320 kbps and no other options are offered but I would think that setting is for files streamed to my iPhone and the receiver. Last evening I tried some files directly from PC to Marantz (no JRiver or JRemote involved) and still shows MP3.
Does anyone have any suggestions on appropriate settings?
Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Bsistrunk,

This is the normal operation in DLNA when the client does not support the native format: Have the server transcode to a common format, typically MP3 for music. I would be surprised if the Marantz supported WAV over DLNA. I have never seen WAV supported over DLNA.

Check with Marantz to determine what formats your receiver supports over DLNA. If it supports FLAC, then you're in luck. If it doesn't, then you are stuck with MP3. The best solution then would be for you to make high bit-rate MP3s from your WAVs. Otherwise, JRiver will have to transcode on the fly, which could either limit the bit-rate or cause stutter. You should try it: If JRiver can successfully transcode to 320bps MP3 on the fly, the simplest solution would be to stick with it.

Out of curiosity, why do you use WAV instead of FLAC?
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Bsistrunk,
This is the normal operation in DLNA when the client does not support the native format: Have the server transcode to a common format, typically MP3 for music. I would be surprised if the Marantz supported WAV over DLNA. I have never seen WAV supported over DLNA.
Check with Marantz to determine what formats your receiver supports over DLNA. If it supports FLAC, then you're in luck. If it doesn't, then you are stuck with MP3. The best solution then would be for you to make high bit-rate MP3s from your WAVs. Otherwise, JRiver will have to transcode on the fly, which could either limit the bit-rate or cause stutter. You should try it: If JRiver can successfully transcode to 320bps MP3 on the fly, the simplest solution would be to stick with it.
Out of curiosity, why do you use WAV instead of FLAC?

Mark, thank you for the input. Following is an excerpt from a review of the 6006 on digitaltrends.com: "Next we dug into the SR6006’s new network media offerings. We started out by streaming some music from a network attached media center PC....Navigating to files is a matter of wading through folders and still a bit sluggish for our liking. That’s DLNA for you. With that said, the WAV files and high-bitrate MP3 songs we streamed sounded excellent. We never did manage to stream any FLAC content, though. Marantz says nothing about FLAC compatibility on its website, but considering the Denon AVR-3312ci does it, we’d hoped the SR6006 would too."
I checked the manual and it states that the unit is compatible with both WAV and FLAC when playing network audio. But it also says "...when using ...Windows Media Network Sharing Service - Windows Media DRM10" I'm using JRiver so I'm wondering if that's the problem though I can't imagine why. I am using WAV because most of my collection is already ripped in that format. With storage being so reasonably priced I don't mind the large file size, though my understanding is that FLAC is essentially the same quality.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Bsistrunk,

Note what the reviewer said:
Quote:
. . . With that said, the WAV files and high-bitrate MP3 songs we streamed sounded excellent.

and what the manual said:
Quote:
. . . the unit is compatible with both WAV and FLAC when playing network audio.
(emphasis added)

Neither statement indicate that the WAVs were not transcoded to MP3. One of the original design goals of DLNA was to hide the transcoding from the customer. With that in mind, many DLNA clients will support MP3 only, and will depend on the server to provide compatibility with other formats by transcoding to MP3. With this regard, JRiver is one of the best. I suspect the reviewer could not get FLAC to work because he was using his existing Microsoft software as a server, which is not nearly as good as JRiver.

If JRiver can transcode to 320 kbs MP3 without problems, that may be all you need. However, if you want to explore further, then you could try to get a copy of SR6006's DLNA certificate, which will tell you exactly what 'profiles' it supports. Also, the JRiver software should be able to supply you with logs specifying the results of the DLNA negotiations.

BTW: The main reason I prefer FLAC over WAV, even though the quality is equal, is that WAV has poor support for metadata, whereas FLAC has excellent metadata support. But it's only an issue if you actually make use of the data.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mark, I believe you are probably correct. Though for the life of me I can't understand why they can't just make that clear (in the review or in the manual for that matter...). Probably assumed I should know...and maybe I should. But I'm learning fast. Crutchfield support did not know and neither did first level support at Marantz but my ticket has been escalated and hopefully I will have the "final answer" soon. Will post it when received. At this point I'm thinking of just putting a mini pc in my cabinet with a direct connection to the amp through a decent dac. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 PM

the sr-6006 streams WAV over DNLA is shows the format in the bottom right corner of the info page on your tv display. also FLAC, MP3. set JRiver to always convert to Wav and you play everything no issues and great quality.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page