What is the most efficient way to get my content in this scenario - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Home Theater downstairs in the living room.
TV in my bedroom, upstairs.
Office room upstairs - will house my main pc.

Right now, all I have is the pc. I am buying my own house so this is the first time this is an issue, in the past I have used a dedicated htpc in the living room and my own computer and tv in my bedroom. Now that this will be my own place, my main pc will go in the office, but I will still want to access the content downstairs and in my bedroom. The only other device I currently have is a ps3, which will go downstairs.

I am very skeptical about wireless streaming as the few times I tinkered with it using my ps3, I had difficulty even with SD content.

I realize this is a very generic question; right now I am leaning toward 2 additional, independent HTPC's - one in the bedroom and one downstairs, though I'm sure there is a better solution. Would also be nice if I could store all content on just one PC (the main one in the office).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

This may have been more appropriate to post in the Home A/V Distribution section, on second thought.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 PM
FX4

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Does the house have coax run throughout? If it does and the install is with good coax you can use MoCA adapters. I use these in a few rooms and they work well: http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Over-Coax-Adapter/dp/B0022NHMZY
post #4 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post

Does the house have coax run throughout? If it does and the install is with good coax you can use MoCA adapters. I use these in a few rooms and they work well: http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Over-Coax-Adapter/dp/B0022NHMZY

I'm not sure, I would assume it has it thoughout since it's fairly new but can't confirm until I close escrow. Great tip, I'll look into it once I see if it has coax in all rooms.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'd just use powerline adapters, they should be good enough for the task and your house definitely has power cables : )

Also a WDTV Live in each room might be good enough, I suppose it depends on what you use the HTPC for.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page