Best stand alone video player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 175
What is the best (but not a HTPC) stand alone media player device? For videos only. Must have internal HD bay. Do they have CPU speed for 1920x1080p H264 high bitrate and lossless audio?

I know of the Popcorn hour line, but else is there? How do they compare against a HTPC?

ie Popcorn Hour A-400.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I think a HTPC is more flexible, but requires a little more work to make it work correctly. That's why I switched to stand alone media players. I've owned and tested the following media players.

1st place Dune D1
2nd place PCH-A210
3rd place Mede8er MED500X2 (this media player would of been tied with PCH, but the hybrid jukebox at the time didn't support TV Shows)
4th place WDTV2 (I like this media player because it can play Netflix, Hulu, Pandora ect., but it jukebox is just a let down)
5th place Pivos AIOS (1185 realtek chip just like the Mede8er, but remote is unresponsive and jukebox takes too much work to set up)

The Dune is an excellent media player, but due to its price increase it isn't really worth buying unless you don't mine paying over $300 dollars for old hardware that "JUST WORKS". It has issues recognizing forced subs, which aren't burned in. It has several jukeboxes to choose from. I really like Zappiti, which is simple and easy to use and edit. It plays all my M2TS, MKV and ISO files without any issues.

The PCH-A200/210 series are excellent as well, but firmware updates are a PIA to do. Lately, the UI has become very slow (at least for me) since the last 2 updates. It has an pretty good looking jukebox with many different skins to choose from. I like YAMJ/Eversion and YAMJ/AEON the best. You can either use NFO files to try to fix the wrongly scraped files, or you can use YAYMAN to edit the movies (this is what I use). It plays all of my M2TS, MKV and ISO files without any issues.

The Mede8er MED500X2 is the best 1185 realtek chip media player. The UI was responsive, the remove was responsive, it was easy to set up. The jukebox was pretty easy to set up, but at the time I owned it, it did not have a TV Show jukebox. Another issues, I had with it was that it cannot play BD ISO. However, it played all of my M2TS, MKV and DVD ISO's files without any issues.

The WDTV2 is a pretty nice inexpensive media player. I liked it a lot due to being able to playe Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, etc. I gave it to my parents and they love it. They specially love using Pandora with their pretty expensive and awesome 5.1 surround sound. It played all my M2TS, MKV and DVD ISO files without any issues. You can have a jukebox by using ThumbGen, but it is pretty slow.

The PIVOS AIOS is probably the best and most inexpensive 1185 chip media player you can buy. It played all of my M2TS, MKV and DVD ISO files without any issues. However, the remove control pretty much sucks. It is slow and unresponsive. Trying to set up the jukebox requires a lot of work, and I just got tired of messing around with it since I was spoiled with the Dune D1.

I also used to own a PCH-A300, which was probably one the worse media player I've owned. It was almost impossible to connect to my shares. The internal jukebox was good looking, but impossible to edit. The worse part was it kept losing sound with every movie that had HD sound tracks. Therefore, I would not recommend the PCH-A300 to anyone. Also since the new PCH-A400 is coming out, I don't think the PCH-A300 bugs will be fix at all now.

Hope that helps.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 29 Old 10-06-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Cheers. Are there any with allows you to have slimserver? That way will be the squeezebox host machine. It's not for me.

But on my side I just use very quiet tower PC for HTPC, not as plug in and go as media side on my divx players but if I have a codec problem usually sorted with a update. Having a small unit like sumvision cycle that points to networked storage would be nice. Have to switch on computer, switch off LCD monitor, windows + P then set secondary output as primary (Plasma TV) then open up explorer locate to dir.

Tried Media Portal but it doesn't seem to use the same media player as MPC HC? So had problems with MP as a front end.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 29 Old 07-15-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bump.. What is the best Media player, which has .iso, dvd menu and bd menu capabilities?
Something in the $100 to $200 range?
I see bad reviews to most of the units mentioned above, including popcorn hour.
dune seems to be the best? But its expensive..
Already, I have purchased four mediaplayers, which are excellent door stops.
Bought an xtreamer.. it kept losing audio sync.
Felt lazy to reprogram my universal remote - so I bought another extremer - a newer model - it keeps forgetting the output settings.
Bought a western digital - didn't play .iso file. I gifted it to a friend who didn't need .iso support.
bought an asus oplay.. still works but it does not have dvd/bd menu feature.. Such stupidity! Otherwise, it actually works very well - quite fast.. no trouble..
Then got micca 600.. worked fine but it won't always recognize my media bay (with 5 hard drives)..
Checked amazon.. I prefer to read the 1 star reviews.. and try to be fair to the product.. can't seem to find a good media player..
Why are so many people making media players but none seem to be any good? The asus was probably the best.. but I can't believe they ignored menu support! What are these people thinking?
post #5 of 29 Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

Bump.. What is the best Media player, which has .iso, dvd menu and bd menu capabilities?
Something in the $100 to $200 range?
I see bad reviews to most of the units mentioned above, including popcorn hour.
dune seems to be the best? But its expensive..
Already, I have purchased four mediaplayers, which are excellent door stops.
Bought an xtreamer.. it kept losing audio sync.
Felt lazy to reprogram my universal remote - so I bought another extremer - a newer model - it keeps forgetting the output settings.
Bought a western digital - didn't play .iso file. I gifted it to a friend who didn't need .iso support.
bought an asus oplay.. still works but it does not have dvd/bd menu feature.. Such stupidity! Otherwise, it actually works very well - quite fast.. no trouble..
Then got micca 600.. worked fine but it won't always recognize my media bay (with 5 hard drives)..
Checked amazon.. I prefer to read the 1 star reviews.. and try to be fair to the product.. can't seem to find a good media player..
Why are so many people making media players but none seem to be any good? The asus was probably the best.. but I can't believe they ignored menu support! What are these people thinking?
What you want does not exist for $100-$200. Didn't I just razz you on slick deals for that mica purchase? biggrin.gif
post #6 of 29 Old 07-16-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

What you want does not exist for $100-$200. Didn't I just razz you on slick deals for that mica purchase? biggrin.gif
You can razz me here, for that micca purchase, if you wish.. but no, I don't know what you mean by "slick deals". biggrin.gif
It must be your fault that I got stuck with this micca? No one told me about it..
Actually, it works almost fine - except that it does not, some times, recognize all of my usb drives. When it does not recognize, I have to go into each drive and delete a couple of files it places like a file called .part.. Once I do that, it recognizes them all and actually works just fine. It is quite convenient to use - except it does not display the volume name of the drive..
post #7 of 29 Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:

You can razz me here, for that micca purchase, if you wish.. but no, I don't know what you mean by "slick deals". biggrin.gif
It must be your fault that I got stuck with this micca? No one told me about it..
Actually, it works almost fine - except that it does not, some times, recognize all of my usb drives. When it does not recognize, I have to go into each drive and delete a couple of files it places like a file called .part.. Once I do that, it recognizes them all and actually works just fine. It is quite convenient to use - except it does not display the volume name of the drive..
That's the issue with most of the media players. There is not a "one size fits all" Each has it's quirks and issues. The key to finding one that works best for YOU is to know exactly what is important to YOU, and find one that does it. The new pocorn hour series is total crap IN MY MIND because it won't do what I WANT it to do, so I would never own one. The older C200 is BETTER for ME because it does what I want.
By far the best media player (not streamer) I have EVER owned is my Oppo 93 with the much coveted "ISO" software. I can attach any hard drive (or a bunch of them if I wish) and it plays every single ISO file I feed it flawlessly. This INCLUDES 3D ISO files to which all other media players are still having issues with. I can not stream from a server with the Oppo so that is a deal killer for some, but I have been enjoying 3D ISO's for years with no issues in playback while current media players ares still struggling to make it work. Of course then there are people who care less about 3D. I happen to like it as does my son and have about 12TB's of 3D files to watch..
The key to being happy with a media player is figuring out what is most important to you and then go from there. If your Micca is working and doing everything you need it to do, then THAT is the player for you.
I have no agenda here just an avid enthusiast..
post #8 of 29 Old 07-16-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
The best 3D media player up to date is the Mede8er. The best ISO / 2D player is the Dune smart series (older dunes not the new one).

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #9 of 29 Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

The best 3D media player up to date is the Mede8er. The best ISO / 2D player is the Dune smart series (older dunes not the new one).

Unless, IF... Dune comes out with XBMC, for the new ones. (big "IF")

cross-fingers.gif
post #10 of 29 Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Agreed if you are having to stream your content from a server. If you are content with attached usb storage then the oppo beats EVERY player out there, bar none...
post #11 of 29 Old 07-17-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

I do have the oppo 93 but I find it inconvenient. It does not have "resume" function for example. Its video and audio might well be excellent but I don't use it because I don't find it user friendly for every day use.
post #12 of 29 Old 07-17-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:

I do have the oppo 93 but I find it inconvenient. It does not have "resume" function for example. Its video and audio might well be excellent but I don't use it because I don't find it user friendly for every day use.
Well, as you have/will find out, there is not a single media player that makes everyone happy. I am more than happy with my Dune smart series and Oppo. Do I wish I could stream from the oppo from a server? Sure, but I will trade that inconvenience for flawless 3D blu ray playback... I pretty much use my Dune for everything OTHER than 3D...
What you want for $100-$200 does not exist at $1000! :-)

And if you ever get tired of that 93, let me know, I will take it off your hands! Hell I would trade you a region free 103 for it! biggrin.gif
post #13 of 29 Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, as you have/will find out, there is not a single media player that makes everyone happy. I am more than happy with my Dune smart series and Oppo. Do I wish I could stream from the oppo from a server? Sure, but I will trade that inconvenience for flawless 3D blu ray playback... I pretty much use my Dune for everything OTHER than 3D...
What you want for $100-$200 does not exist at $1000! :-)

And if you ever get tired of that 93, let me know, I will take it off your hands! Hell I would trade you a region free 103 for it! biggrin.gif
You are correct.. there does not seem to be a single media player which works properly. We are not really asking for much, are we? Just play all the .iso files with full menu functionality - just as a $70 BD player does.. I bought a roku and a boxee. The boxee is an interesting device.. but it fails to play many .iso files.. Asus oplay does everything I want but the dummies at Asus did not include a button for DVd/BD menu selection.. What are these guys thinking?

Thank you for your kind offer for the Oppo 93. BTW, does the oppo 93 play DTS HD MA? If it does, I would probably not sell it. If it does not, I might sell it at a future date. While it does play the .iso files flawlessly, as a media player, its not the most convenient to use.
post #14 of 29 Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Dune Smart serie plays ISO with full menu and all HD audio, from local drives or network streaming. BUT it doesn't do 3D.

Oppo 93 is the only one to play 3D with menus, but not out of the box (i think you need a precise firmware), not streaming and don't expect any user friendly interface like the jukeboxes you can see on dune players. it's a high end BR player, but IMO it doesn't worth the price if you plan on watching exclusively HD on a <60" screen.

Up to you to know what you want.
post #15 of 29 Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

eric, already I have an oppo 93 which plays .iso files. as you wrote, it is just not as user friendly as the media players, for convenience of use.
I never watch 3D anyway.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:

You are correct.. there does not seem to be a single media player which works properly. We are not really asking for much, are we? Just play all the .iso files with full menu functionality - just as a $70 BD player does.. I bought a roku and a boxee. The boxee is an interesting device.. but it fails to play many .iso files.. Asus oplay does everything I want but the dummies at Asus did not include a button for DVd/BD menu selection.. What are these guys thinking?

Thank you for your kind offer for the Oppo 93. BTW, does the oppo 93 play DTS HD MA? If it does, I would probably not sell it. If it does not, I might sell it at a future date. While it does play the .iso files flawlessly, as a media player, its not the most convenient to use.
Agreed that the user interface on the Oppo sucks but hell, it plays EVERYTHING! :-)
I had the asus for awhile and OMG, what a POS...You are the first person I know that says they liked it..
post #17 of 29 Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Hmmmm, I am 99% sure I have started watching a blu ray from my oppo and when I went back to it days later, I had the option to resume from where I left off...
post #18 of 29 Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Hmmmm, I am 99% sure I have started watching a blu ray from my oppo and when I went back to it days later, I had the option to resume from where I left off...

Its most likely per disc specific. There are just some blurays that the bd java does not allow resume, its why some players came out with "bookmarks" as a way around it. Some movies the bd-j control the playback and once you hit stop or power off the player, the bd-j is rebooted one disc boot and starts all over
post #19 of 29 Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Has anyone heard of "Android 4.0 Smart TV Box Media Player "? I found it on ebay.
Its inexpensive.
It says that it splays BD-ISO. Would this mean that it "might" play DVD-ISO also? It is from hong kong. There would be no return on this, I would assume.

Android 4.0 media smart player with 1080p full HD, WiFi and an embedded Mali-400 3D graphics processor has plenty of great features to boost your TV experience.

Brand new Android 4.0 media smart player with compatibility to most video formats has the options to download even more codecs to allow you to view more media types. The ARM CORTEX A9 processor provides unprecedented level of performance and power efficiency giving the Android 4.0 media smart player that extra boost. Included with the Android 4.0 media smart player is the capability to watch and play 3D games with anti-aliasing thanks to the embedded high performance Open GL 3D graphics processor Mali-400.

Additionally, the Android 4.0 media smart player supports massive application and game installation, and with 4GB of internal memory that you can expand up to 32GB more via SD card, feel free up download your media files or games from the internet without worrying about space limitations. Another feature of the Android 4.0 media smart player is the ability to allow you to watch and listen to unlimited internet contents on your TV such as radio, online videos, e-books and Gmail.

This Android 4.0 media smart player with 1080p full HD, WiFi and an embedded 3D graphics processor has the capabilities needed for you to get the most out of your TV.

At a Glance...

1080p full HD playback
Open GL 3D graphics processor Mali-400
Built-in WiFi b/g/n
SD card slot supports up to 32GB

Manufacturer Specifications

General

OS version: 4.0
CPU: Amlogic 8726 ARM CORTEX A9
Processor Speed (max): 800Mhz
RAM: 1GB
WiFi: 802.11 b/g/n
Google play
Adobe Flash
Languages: Czech, Cestina, Dansk, German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Turkish, Russian, Arab, Thai, Korea, Chinese (Simple), Japanese

Memory

Internal: 4GB
SD card supports up to 32GB

Media Formats:

Video: MKV, TS, TP, M2TS, RM.RMVB, BD-ISO, AVI, MPG, VOB, DAT, ASF, TRP, FLV1080p
Audio: MP3, OCG, WMA, WMAPRO
Picture: JPG/GIF
E-book: PDF/TXT

Ports

2 x USB 2.0
SDHC Slot
HDMI 1.4 output
CVBS ouput
Audio out (L)
Audio out (R)
Coaxial output
100/100M Ethernet
WiFi Antenna Port
IR remote control receiver
DC in

Dimensions

Main product dimensions: 150x150x30mm (L x W x D)
Main product weight: 342g

Product Notes

Android device can download various media players and codec’s for supported format options
The Android OS version on this device cannot be upgraded or flashed and any attempts to modify the default OS will void the warranty. As a wholesaler, we provide no software support, advice, or training regarding the Android operating system and software.

Package Contents for AGHQ-E236

TV box
Power adapter
USB cable
Remote control
AV cable
HDMI cable
WiFi Antenna
post #20 of 29 Old 01-07-2014, 04:04 AM

Liked: 10

this player seems support 3D iso file

Anyone tested it before?

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

post #21 of 29 Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

q10II looks interesting but I am so tired of trying out media players. I tossed out a couple.

I just bought a popcornhour c-200 on ebay. I didn't care for its interface and didn't realize that it doesn't have Netflix etc. I am going to sell it, at a loss. It seems powerful but not what I need.

Re-iterating my request for help on this subject. I am seeking a media player with the following criteria.
Can some one make a suggestion?

I liked Western digital media player. It has "almost" what I need.

It includes what I need:
a. plays BD and DVD .iso files.
b. has netflix, vudu, hulu.
c. Very fast and convenient user interface.
d. Has subtitles.

But it does not have and I would like to have
1. audio output via both HDMI and toslink or spdif, simultanously
+2. Blu ray skip button to work or at least a X64 or X128 fast forward.
+ 3. Not sure about its Blu ray and DVD menu support.

I don't need 3D or UHD.

I bought a "supposedly" UHD AV200 from vidon.me. It has many issues. planning to return it. Not sure I want to go through the hassle of their learning curve as they "fix it".

Some one.. please help.. Any good media players out there, which would fulfil my criteria above?

Thanks
post #22 of 29 Old 01-07-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

q10II looks interesting but I am so tired of trying out media players. I tossed out a couple.

I just bought a popcornhour c-200 on ebay. I didn't care for its interface and didn't realize that it doesn't have Netflix etc. I am going to sell it, at a loss. It seems powerful but not what I need.

Re-iterating my request for help on this subject. I am seeking a media player with the following criteria.
Can some one make a suggestion?

I liked Western digital media player. It has "almost" what I need.

It includes what I need:
a. plays BD and DVD .iso files.
b. has netflix, vudu, hulu.
c. Very fast and convenient user interface.
d. Has subtitles.

But it does not have and I would like to have
1. audio output via both HDMI and toslink or spdif, simultanously
+2. Blu ray skip button to work or at least a X64 or X128 fast forward.
+ 3. Not sure about its Blu ray and DVD menu support.

I don't need 3D or UHD.

I bought a "supposedly" UHD AV200 from vidon.me. It has many issues. planning to return it. Not sure I want to go through the hassle of their learning curve as they "fix it".

Some one.. please help.. Any good media players out there, which would fulfil my criteria above?

Thanks

Nothing you need multiple devices. your closest match would be something from western digital. After that you are better off getting a roku or something for the online content and another stand alone player for your dvd/bd iso files
post #23 of 29 Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Nothing you need multiple devices. your closest match would be something from western digital. After that you are better off getting a roku or something for the online content and another stand alone player for your dvd/bd iso files
I do have the Roku but it doesn't work with my HDMI matrix switch. I didn't even include amazon prime on my want list, because that would probably be too much to ask..
checkout vidon.me and av200.. it seems to have a lot of features - if only it would actually work! I bought it and it doesn't work properly - not yet, anyway!

I saw Samsung GX-SM530CF and got excited.. until I found out that it would not play .iso files.
post #24 of 29 Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

To get around the Matrix problem pick up something like this http://eu-shop.elbox.com/en_US/p/nSPLITTER-Pro-1x2-MK-II-DEQS/50

A lot of the streaming/local playback device relies on edid information and most of that is never sent through the matrix switch so you can use this device to fake the information so it always outputs how you want.

and the android boxes have always been a miss none of them have ever showed solid performance yet.
post #25 of 29 Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

To get around the Matrix problem pick up something like this http://eu-shop.elbox.com/en_US/p/nSPLITTER-Pro-1x2-MK-II-DEQS/50

A lot of the streaming/local playback device relies on edid information and most of that is never sent through the matrix switch so you can use this device to fake the information so it always outputs how you want.

and the android boxes have always been a miss none of them have ever showed solid performance yet.
They don't ship nSPLITTER Pro 1x2 MK-II DE/QS to USA.. Not sure why not. I have ordered a new hdmi matrix switch.. hopefully, that might work.

What's with many of the boxes not having .iso file playback capability? Is it a legality issue? WD is offering it.. and they are a large company. I can't understand why others (especially the newer units) are not offering .iso play back of dvd and bd
post #26 of 29 Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Has Anyone tried this?

KDLINKS HD720 Extreme FULL HD 1080P 3D Media Player with Internal HDD Bay, Gigabit Network, Built-In Wifi

How is its interface?

Would it output Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, simultaneously through HDMI and Toslink/SPDIF?
post #27 of 29 Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Has Anyone tried this?

KDLINKS HD720 Extreme FULL HD 1080P 3D Media Player with Internal HDD Bay, Gigabit Network, Built-In Wifi

How is its interface?

Would it output Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, simultaneously through HDMI and Toslink/SPDIF?

I've owned it for about a month, new product, growing pains, has potential. The first FW update is supposed to be out soon, their tech support guy is very good in responding to questions and suggestions, problem reports, etc. Compared to the Popcorn Hour I came from which was SO buggy this thing is a big improvement. I used to get freezing on the Popcorn Hour but rare with this unit. I've mainly been playing MKV, M2TS and ISOs including HD audio mainly from SlySoft AnyDVD ripping and MakeMkv. I have an internal hard drive in the unit and copy files to it over the network.

I don't have the toslink/SPDIF hooked up, just use it with HDMI with HD audio. You could e-mail their tech support and ask your question there.

I am curious anyone who has tried media servers being discussed here try the HD720 and comment/compare.
post #28 of 29 Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 PM

Liked: 10

im gonna add myself to this question..

I have just got a 3d DLP benq fullhd projector th680 and

i have a Laptop wich at the moment runs xbmc openelec,

The problem is the 3D..

If i set the resolution at 1920/1080 at xbmc i only get two identical SBS screens NeXT to eachother..

The 3d settings meny is GREYED OUT in the projector expept for the top/bottom meny wich only screw up the Picture.

The paradoks is that if i set the resolution at 1280/768 the 3d settings in the projector is functional again and then i can choose SBS and get a 3d Picture..

But, since i spent this extra Money on a FULLHD etc etc, i then wanna get the full capasity possible, and i am now looking at different media players, liek popcornhour, egreat mede8er himedia etc etcc..

i do have 1.4 hdmi cables..

I AM LOST!!!!!!!!

I wanna be able to play blueray 3D iso from my NAS and also i would like a media player that will convert 2d into 3d and also give me the highest possible resolution.

What do i buy??????

I like to not spend more than 200 but if i must spend more i am willing, but then it gotta be something that will last a few years as well..

PLESE ADVISE!!

also- when i play 3d content is the projector transmitting some signals to the active sainsonic glasses i have bought but havent recieved yet? how does that work?

pardon my English its self taught by playing Xbox live.

post #29 of 29 Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

My 2 cents worth, after buying a couple of media players: For my application, it became a Tie between Boxee (you can still find it) and WD Media player ($85).

Boxee would have been my over all winner because of its interface and its superior remote (even though it unfortunately cannot be integrated into a URC), but on occasion, it does not play a few of my .iso files. Boxee is an excellent NAS device - no login required. It is found easily. I could get bit rates of up to 38 mbps Vs only 20s from Synology and WD NAS devices. Boxee puts my mediasonic hard drive unit to sleep and wakes it up even by other media players on the network. Boxee is a great unit, just to be an NAS device!

WD seems to play the .iso files that boxee could not play.

WD's interface is very nice and quick. Setup is easy. It cannot output 5.1 audio simultaneously through hdmi and toslink but it is every inexpensive - it is cheaper to just buy two WD media players, one for each audio need.

I have heard good things about HDlinks from other forum members. It might well be a good unit - I have not tried it.

I tried one Android based media player - from vidon.me. Supposedly 4k capable unit, which would play all types of files.. It just didn't work.. I am skeptical of current Android media players - it seems that they seem to be overpromising and under delivering and most of them don't play .iso files (why not, I wonder).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Mede8er Med500x2 High Definition Multimedia Player , Popcorn Hour A 300 Networked Media Jukebox , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - Med500x2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page