itunes streaming with wireless - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello - I am moving to a new place and will need to setup my system differently there. I'm looking at how to get my itunes libary playing through my receiver.

Right now, I have a my desktop computer with my itunes library on it. It is a pretty slow desktop and only used for playing music b/c I also have a laptop which is faster. The desktop is attached with a coaxial cable from my soundlbaster card to the coax digital input of my yamaha receiver. This receiver (HTR-6063 same as rx-V667) is not network compatible. This works perfectly as far as sound quality. However, as mentioned, I also have a laptop (Gateway windows 7) and this has the same Itunes library. Try as I might (explained in the next paragraph), I can't get the laptop to play music through the receiver without making it difficult in other ways. So, what I've had to do, to listen to my Itunes library, is have my desktop on, which is a bit of a waste of electricity. In my new place, this will most likely not be as likely a scenario.

What I've tried to do in the past is to connect my laptop, wirelessly, to my yamaha receiver and have not had success. I've done this by trying to stream it to attached devices to the receiver. It's important to note that I'm trying to control the music from my computer, not simply have it controlled with the device attached to the receiver. The reason being is that the receiver is connected to a projector as the TV source, and I don't want to have to simply turn on my projector in order to control what I'm listening to. Again, this would be a waste of electricity (and bulb life). As an example, I do have a PS3 connected to this receiver which will pick up most of my itunes library, but I would have to have the projector on so I can see what is playing and to be able to change the song. Also, i've tried connecting the laptop directly to the receiver but I don't use my laptop in the same area as the receiver (and won't in the new place) and the only connection available is a toslink cable and those are limited in length.

So, what i'm trying to figure out is the best way to do this (stream music from my laptop to my receiver with control from the computer). I'm wondering if the airport express of apple tv would help here. I'm thinking I could connect the apple tv, for example, through HDMI to my yamaha receiver. I would stream the music from my laptop to the apple tv and that would then play through the receiver. I would be able to control it through my laptop.

Would this work?
Would this work with HDMI or would I need to use some other connection from the Apple TV to my receiver?
If this does work, would I also be able to control/stream it with other devices? I have an older IPOD touch (8GB) Version 4.2.1
Also, and this isn't as important right now, but I'll ask anyway: My receiver (HTR-6063 same as rx-v667) has multi-room capabilities. It I don't attach another amplifier to it (wouldn't in this case), I can attach two extra speakers for another room. But this only supports analog connections to the Yamaha. Would any of the apple (or other products) work in this case?

Thanks!

Pulper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Would this work?

Yes
Quote:
Would this work with HDMI or would I need to use some other connection from the Apple TV to my receiver?

Will work with HDMI if the receiver has a HDMI pass-through on it, for the Airport Express it uses a multi-output which handles analogue and optical output, the optical cable is not supplied and must be bought separately and you'd have to get an optical to coax adapter if you only have coax SPDIF on your reciever..
Quote:
If this does work, would I also be able to control/stream it with other devices? I have an older IPOD touch (8GB) Version 4.2.1

Control yes, stream no.

Use Homesharing on iTunes and install the "Apple remote" app on iOS. Apple iOS devices cannot act as Airplay devices they can only push media to Airplay devices.
Quote:
Also, and this isn't as important right now, but I'll ask anyway: My receiver (HTR-6063 same as rx-v667) has multi-room capabilities. It I don't attach another amplifier to it (wouldn't in this case), I can attach two extra speakers for another room. But this only supports analog connections to the Yamaha. Would any of the apple (or other products) work in this case?

Yes use the Airport Express standard audio output. iTunes can stream to multiple Airplay speakers but only when using iTunes on the desktop.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply! This really helps. It sounds like if I need to go with the multi-room, then I would need the airport express. Otherwise, either will do. I think what I'll do is go for the Apple TV and see how that works.

Thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It sounds like if I need to go with the multi-room, then I would need the airport express.

Remember the Express can't do optical and analog out at the same time, it's either/or, depending on whether you stick an optical mini-jack or analog mini-jack into its port.
Quote:
My receiver (HTR-6063 same as rx-v667) has multi-room capabilities...I can attach two extra speakers for another room. But this only supports analog connections to the Yamaha. Would any of the apple (or other products) work in this case?

A nice feature of the Apple TV is that both its HDMI and optical out are active at the same time, which means you could use an inexpensive digital to analog audio converter like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

to feed analog to your AVR Zone 2 inputs and still benefit from the digital connection over HDMI when you want to. I don't personally do this, everything is digital in our house, but lots of Apple TV users report success feeding their Zone 2 analog input with these things, the advantage mainly being for not that much more expense you get a much more useful device (video + Netflix in addition to music.)
Quote:
I have an older IPOD touch (8GB) Version 4.2.1

iOS 4.2 added AirPlay, so you could stream any music that was stored on your touch directly to an Express or aTV, bypassing the need for any of your computers to be on.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well I have the apple tv setup and it streams from my PC. both are on the same wireless and home sharing is setup on both. however, i do not know how to control it from my computer, like a remote. if anyone can provide some assistance on this, that would be great. i thought about using apple remote on the pc but that seems to just be for ipod/ipad/iphone.

also, my ipod touch seems to be "up to date" with version 4.2.1 and apple remote indicates that it requires 4.3. any suggestions? (updating on itunes indicates that 4.2.1 is the latest version).

Thank you.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

I figured it out (the computer part). bottom right of itunes it indicates which speakers you want to use. I selected apple TV and it worked well. Still don't know about the ipod touch though. If anyone can suggest something, that would be great. Perhaps an older version of apple remote? thank you.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page