New to Network Media Streamers...coming from HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two HTPCs in my house and a server from which I stream everything. The majority of my content is either HD-MKV or BluRay folder structure. I use MetaBrowser for metadata. I am looking for a media stream that will provide an UI similar that of MediaBrowser and use my existing Metadata. I have tried a PCH-A300 and while it plays everything fine, I am not a fan it using its own metadata as opposed to mine. Will any streamers out there use my existing Metadata and folder structures for displaying content as well as handle MKV and M2TS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Never heard of Metabrowser before, appears to be some sort of media manager and custom front end to windows media center but it looks like it's output compatible with XBMC and claims Boxee/Netgear too.

XBMC would probably be the best option as it's supported plus XBMC displays more fanart/coverart than Boxee does, (no idea on the NeoTV550) & lastly XBMC has skins so it can be made to look like other platforms. MediaBrowser seems like a xbox/metro clone and there are a few of those for XBMC already like Xperience and this mod of it to make it look exactly like the Xbox or another Metro style like this.

The current well only XBMC box on the market from Pivos the XIOS DS does not support, BDMV structure*, 24p or HD audio pass-through so that probably rules that out. If you rip the BDMV folder with MakeMKV to extract the main movie and can live with 1080p@60Hz with AC3/DTS pass-through then it might be an option.

* In the context of supporting BD Lite menus or simply playing the BDMV folder, you can go into the folder and play the m2ts files.

There are more XBMC boxes in development, Sigma Designs probably the sole remaining dedicated media player chipset provider demoed XBMC on one of their chips in September but when they will hit the market is unknown. They are the ones most likely to have 24p, HD audio pass-through, BDMV. Most Sigma players support that stuff though the ones currently available don't run XBMC so they wont be able to look like MediaBrowser, whether they can use the data generated by MetaBrowser is also up in the air. I'd look into the Syabas Popcornhour A400 as one candidate.

As to Boxee Box
* Boxee UI only no skins.
* No fanart only custom coverart and nfo data.
* 1080p@24Hz supported
* HD audio not supported (despite what you might read it's broken)
* BDMV will play but Boxee doesnt always guess the right video track.
* Boxee haven't updated the Boxee Box in months, they've abandoned it to work on something else.

As to Netgear NeoTV, these are also abandoned I believe.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

For the displays I will use this/these on 1080p60 and AC3/DTS are fine. However the Pivos Aios claims to support the following output:

Stereo
Dolby Digital AC3 .1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 (passthrough)
Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
DTS Digital Surround 5.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
DTS-HD MA (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
AAC 7.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo)
FLAC

But does it have XBMC support?

Also the Xios did not list DTS as a supported output.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Aios does not support XBMC, only the Xios.

DTS passthrough support was added later for the Xios...from the Xios thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

DTS/DD/DTS-MA Core passthrough is supported by the latest GB firmware.
Just go to Settings -> Display -> Audio -> RAW.

I assume it still applies to the newer ICS firmware.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yeah it's the XIOS you'd be looking at not the AIOS and you install the linux XBMC firmware on it, the Android side is way too slow especially if you want to use skins. The linux XBMC firmware is still in beta development, Pivos are saying DTS is pencilled in, I haven't tested to see if it's working yet on the latest linux firmware.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM

can anyone confirm if the XIOS can now play HD DTS 7.1 with this new firmware update, just like the AIOS does?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page