Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 156 Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

No, the contents of the USB drive (or NAS, if they support it later) will only be readable by Simple.tv. This is from one of their reps in their forums. If they allow you to archive the recordings as original TS or even re-encoded MP4 for playback anywhere, then I at least would be interested in buying in as a cheaper TiVo alternative.

I din't know that. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 156 Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Liked: 11
Brajesh,

You are correct. SimpleTV DRM the files I just checked on their site. Not what I want so I will stay with my HDHomerun/SageTV setup. One of the things I was looking forward too was streaming TV to the Ipad. Hitting the SiloconDust website today I see where an app is available now for IOS called InstaTV that allows streaming to IOS with any HDHomerune tuner. Elgato was the only thing available before but now this IntaTV I'm going to try out.
post #93 of 156 Old 10-19-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm with you. Simple.tv had promise, but the recordings not being archive-able sucks. Same goes for Boxee TV and uploading recordings only to the cloud. Sticking with WMC and HDHomeRun.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #94 of 156 Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
But use just use the app on the Roku and you an view the SimpleTV recordings. Even if you can't off load them, it's still a better solution than Boxee TV. Except for the fact the SimpleTV only has one tuner. Which pretty much makes it worthless as a dvr. Even back in the late 80's I used multiple tuners for my recordings.(multiple VCRs for time shifting everything I watched)

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #95 of 156 Old 10-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Anyone here receive a free Boxee?
post #96 of 156 Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
not yet why?
post #97 of 156 Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Anyone here receive a free Boxee?

I did today and the early results are not good.
post #98 of 156 Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 AM

Wal-Mart to start selling Boxee TV set-top box

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57542857-93/wal-mart-to-start-selling-boxee-tv-set-top-box/
Quote:
Wal-Mart tomorrow will start carrying the $99 Boxee TV set-top box at 3,000 locations nationwide.
November 1, 2012
post #99 of 156 Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Let the games begin !

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #100 of 156 Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcello696 View Post

I did today and the early results are not good.

Please elaborate.
post #101 of 156 Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat 23 View Post

Please elaborate.

I've had the Boxee TV since last week, Im in the LA market and while it does indeed record OTA content and upload to the cloud the play back has been a stuttering mess. Not impressed at all and really makes me wonder what in the heck is Boxee doing
post #102 of 156 Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcello696 View Post

. . . upload to the cloud the play back has been a stuttering mess.
Could you please cite your Internet service speed?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #103 of 156 Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Could you please cite your Internet service speed?

Verizon Fios 75 down and 35 up if that's not enough bandwidth, I have no idea what is wink.gif
post #104 of 156 Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Have you run PIng or tracert to the boxee servers to see where the lag is happening???? just a thought......
post #105 of 156 Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
When I read about this a while ago, I got excited and thought "oooh, where do I sign up"", since I've been considering cutting the cord. Then I got to the part about $15/month to record OTA free TV. No thanks.
post #106 of 156 Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Personally I'm just glad there is finally a stand alone HDMI tuner with an easy interface for cheap available. The HTPC has been such a headache over the past year. All of its duties except for TV has been relegated to streamers. As soon as I get the Boxee, I can retire it and solely rely on appliance-like devices.
iatacs19 likes this.
post #107 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Personally I'm just glad there is finally a stand alone HDMI tuner with an easy interface for cheap available. The HTPC has been such a headache over the past year. All of its duties except for TV has been relegated to streamers. As soon as I get the Boxee, I can retire it and solely rely on appliance-like devices.

As a BoxeeBox pre-orderer, beta testor (officially, not just one that got the normal half-baked releases) & daily user:
BWAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH
The chances of this thing working out of the box are about as good as my chances of winning the lottery (haven't bought a ticket in years).

If you only need a tuner, your TV should be fine. if you need a DVR, look elsewhere. cloud-DVR isn't going to happen yet.
post #108 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidera View Post

As a BoxeeBox pre-orderer, beta testor (officially, not just one that got the normal half-baked releases) & daily user:
BWAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH
The chances of this thing working out of the box are about as good as my chances of winning the lottery (haven't bought a ticket in years).
If you only need a tuner, your TV should be fine. if you need a DVR, look elsewhere. cloud-DVR isn't going to happen yet.

That's disappointing to hear. What issues have you had? I need it to connect to a projector because it has no built in tuner.
post #109 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Not surprising. The cloud as a DVR was a dumb idea to begin with. They should've allowed local and/or home server storage.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #110 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can't believe it but they are like so many other idiots.
THE CLOUD wooooo that will boost sales.
I know a LOT of (almost all) that think the cloud is the greatest thing...ok what is it.you know that place you store all your stuff.
1/2 of them worry about will it work if it rains LOL

sales gimic that is pure trash.
Just a way to track your doings and nothing more.
post #111 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

I can't believe it but they are like so many other idiots.
THE CLOUD wooooo that will boost sales.
I know a LOT of (almost all) that think the cloud is the greatest thing...ok what is it.you know that place you store all your stuff.
1/2 of them worry about will it work if it rains LOL
sales gimic that is pure trash.
Just a way to track your doings and nothing more.

Not to mention blow through your data caps in no time!
post #112 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wouldn't trust these guys with another dime of my money. More promises they won't keep and the whole thing is a lousy idea to begin with. Walmart will be flooded with
returns once people get this home and it doesn't work. If there's one thing we've learned about Boxee, they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. The original box was
plagued with bugs they could never fix and I not talking about the audio drop outs. SMB got broken and they couldn't fix it. It won't shut down half the time. It has to be rebooted
every day or it will lock up. DVD menus don't even work half the time. The cheapest piece of junk DVD player can at least handle basic functions. They will never be able to
deal with all the issues involved in streaming from the cloud and all the variables involved with so many combinations of equipment and service providers. This new box is
going to stink worse than a Cleveland steamer. I'll pass.
post #113 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

I know a LOT of (almost all) that think the cloud is the greatest thing...ok what is it.
It is an invented term for both the great unwashed and the apple addicts.
The great unwashed just can't get their heads around the concept of "a server on the Internet" -- it's too nebulous for them to grasp -- wait, nebulous? -- you mean, like, like a -- cloud? -- bazinga

As far as the apple addicts, they pick up on anything that looks like or sounds like the next cool thing -- clouds are cool -- yay cloud

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #114 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

It seems like I'm the only one on the internet that wants to go out and buy this. I agree, it's not a great product from a company with a bad reputation. But I think if the bugs are sorted out, this will take off with the "general population". The general population refers to pretty much everyone not on AVS spending their time thinking and drooling over AV products. Right now for TV, your options are your cable provider + DVR or an HTPC (with cable card/tuner). Comcast + DVR is too expensive for the amount of content most people need. And an HTPC with local storage is another device that needs user intervention every time a program comes out of full screen.

When something in the theater goes wrong, my family's phone call to me runs something like this:

Them: The theater won't show my show.
Me: What is it showing?
Them: It says it doesn't exist.
Me: Is the server up?
Them: Where is the server?
Me: The computer on the floor next to the rack...is it powered on?
Them: How do you know if it's on?
Me: The light. Is there a glowing light on the front?
Them: Yes
Me: Ok, can the HTPC see the server share?
Them: Where is the HTPC?
Me: The computer in the rack. But you can check from the screen.,,

This would go on for upwards of 30 minutes. I don't mind explaining to them how to do things, I just feel terrible about. I set something up for their entertainment and my interests and they can't even use it while I'm not there.

With the Boxee, I expect the conversation to go like:

Me: Is the Boxee on and connected to the internet?
Them: Yes, it says it's connected.
Me: Reboot it.

And that would be the end of it.

*This is coming from a family that rarely uses the DVR so I can forgo the DVR bandwidth issues.

What I'm getting at is, the general consumer wants a product that allows them drop their cable provider and cable box...but they want the flashy menus and extra content it offers. As for as I'm aware, this the only product out there that can deliver that experience for someone that doesn't want to invest time in setting something up and then having to maintain it.
post #115 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 01:56 PM

Have you thought about an HTPC then using an extender instead like the 360 or Ceton Echo?
Quote:

It seems like I'm the only one on the internet that wants to go out and buy this. I agree, it's not a great product from a company with a bad reputation. But I think if the bugs are sorted out, this will take off with the "general population". The general population refers to pretty much everyone not on AVS spending their time thinking and drooling over AV products. Right now for TV, your options are your cable provider + DVR or an HTPC (with cable card/tuner). Comcast + DVR is too expensive for the amount of content most people need. And an HTPC with local storage is another device that needs user intervention every time a program comes out of full screen.
When something in the theater goes wrong, my family's phone call to me runs something like this:
Me: What is it showing?
Them: It says it doesn't exist.
Me: Is the server up?
Them: Where is the server?
Me: The computer on the floor next to the rack...is it powered on?
Them: How do you know if it's on?
Me: The light. Is there a glowing light on the front?
Them: Yes
Me: Ok, can the HTPC see the server share?
Them: Where is the HTPC?
Me: The computer in the rack. But you can check from the screen.,,
This would go on for upwards of 30 minutes. I don't mind explaining to them how to do things, I just feel terrible about. I set something up for their entertainment and my interests and they can't even use it while I'm not there.
With the Boxee, I expect the conversation to go like:
Me: Is the Boxee on and connected to the internet?
Them: Yes, it says it's connected.
Me: Reboot it.
And that would be the end of it.
*This is coming from a family that rarely uses the DVR so I can forgo the DVR bandwidth issues.
What I'm getting at is, the general consumer wants a product that allows them drop their cable provider and cable box...but they want the flashy menus and extra content it offers. As for as I'm aware, this the only product out there that can deliver that experience for someone that doesn't want to invest time in setting something up and then having to maintain it.
post #116 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

C-Net is reporting:

While CNET's New York office waits for power to come back after the storm, we're bringing you the Update show from our San Francisco office. Wednesday's top tech stories include:
- Boxee TV arrives at Walmart for $99 and offers perks for early adopters, including three months of free service and a discounted DVR subscription afterward.

post #117 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

Have you thought about an HTPC then using an extender instead like the 360 or Ceton Echo?

Not the Ceton Echo, but I did purchase a 360 to use as a dedicated extender. I gave up on it just before the Echo release date. The 360 did work, but not as well once I modified the user interface and used Media Browser. 1:1 Blu-ray rips weren't that consistent either. Another issue with the 360 was the interface was slow compared to the HTPC. I cut that project short and transitioned to XBMC. But the XBMC PVR setup was a nightmare I didn't even want to spend time getting involved with (that might have changed now, I haven't been following). XBMC is what I'm currently running without the PVR.
post #118 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Engadget reports that the discounted for life monthly Cloud cost will be $9.99

I wonder how low they can go until the yearly cost and potential Data Caps costs are overcome in the minds of potential customers ?

About $ 120.00 a year still seems expensive for the supposed Cable Cutter culture.

post #119 of 156 Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

Engadget reports that the discounted for life monthly Cloud cost will be $9.99
I wonder how low they can go until the yearly cost and potential Data Caps costs are overcome in the minds of potential customers ?
About $ 120.00 a year still seems expensive for the supposed Cable Cutter culture.

They also reported that existing Boxee Box users can get a free year of the "no limit" DVR service. Plus you get 3 months of Netflix streaming for new and exiting customers( $23.97), and a $5.99 VUDU credit too. All that makes it a very good deal for existing Boxee Box users. I'm hoping to be able to try one out within the next week or so.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #120 of 156 Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:

That's disappointing to hear. What issues have you had? I need it to connect to a projector because it has no built in tuner.

I don't have the Boxeebox tuner, but if the new box is anything like the last box, 'half-baked' will be the most accurate description. The original PC-coded Boxee software was great, had bugs, but amazing potential. I think having to switch hardware 8mos before release doomed the boxeebox. (that and their ridiculous revenue model of only getting paid for users using premium content & not having 2 of the big-hitters of 'premium' content).
If the local media features of the boxee box worked as advertised & expected, I'd pay 2x what they go for. The UI is that good. Problem is, the 'finishing touches' are that bad - the fan, the audio dropouts. the SMB problems, lack of IR codes, etc.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page