Bathroom-Friendly Project: Waterproof Tablet > Bluetooth A2DP > Bluetooth Speaker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a crazy scenario that I want to explore: mounting a waterproof tablet in the shower stall and streaming music from the tablet to a Bluetooth speaker that will sit on top of a vanity/toiletry cabinet. The bathroom is really small, so I don't distance shouldn't be a problem (aside from a potential line of sight issue with the tub door).

Am I crazy or is this plan do-able?

Mounting System: PadTab (Amazon $25.00)
It says that the mouting adhesive should work in a bathroom-setting. PadTab also claims that the adhesive should NOT ruin the surface (I currently have a plastic bath fitter "wall" that is covering the old bath tiles).

Also, the PadTab system seems really easy for someone to mount and de-mount the tablet. This is crucial since I will need to charge the tablet at a nearby AC whenever the tablet runs out of juice.

Tablet: Pantech Element (about $200-$250 used on ebay)
The Pantech Element is an 8" Android tablet (ICS 4.0) that is waterproof and supports Bluetooth A2DP. To be quite honest, I'd be content with a cheaper tablet and/or ones that are aesthetically better looking and/or a better brand name like Samsung. However, none of them are waterproof.

Goals I'd like to accomplish:
  • Access Netflix and/or Live TV (using a WMC HTPC plugin or our cable provider's proprietary app)
  • Stream Radio or Music (using Pandora, Tune-In Radio, etc.)
  • See the Weather, Temperature & Traffic in the Morning
  • Access stored music on Home Wi-Fi Network (using DLNA or something along those lines)
  • Viewing adult content (JUST KIDDING biggrin.gif)

Bluetooth Speaker: Spracht WS-4010 ($49.99 on Amazon of $35 used on Amazon)
This speaker takes 4 AA batteries as it's source for power, which is critical since it's too costly to run GFCI approved wires in the bathroom. I also didn't want to invest a few hundred dollars into a nice Jambox since it's in an environment where the steam can destroy the electronic components of the speaker.

I'm also NOT looking for audiophile-like quality for this bathroom environment, but wanted the audio quality to be a bit better than one of the tiny cylindrical-shaped speakers. I'm also not looking for thumping bass. Mid's and volume are most important since the speaker has to battle the loud bath fan.

Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated! cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
What you spec'd would do want you want, but I do question the waterproofness of the tablet. From watching some of the bath renovation shows like Bathcrashers I know they do make waterproof displays for use in the shower, but odds are they are more pricey that the setup you described.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

What you spec'd would do want you want, but I do question the waterproofness of the tablet. From watching some of the bath renovation shows like Bathcrashers I know they do make waterproof displays for use in the shower, but odds are they are more pricey that the setup you described.

Good point - I've thought about a truly integrated setup into the bath itself. I'm certainly concerned of cost and also the feasibility of doing so due to wacky dimensions and old home construction.

Plus, I like the idea of being able to use the tablet for purposes outside of the bathroom (e.g. travel), as well as flexibility in future upgrades (since we all know these tablets get outdated very quickly).

The Pantech Element supposedly can sit in 1 meter of water up to 30 minutes without being destroyed. The capacitive screen can't be used while under water, but I'm only looking for conservative uses.

Also, wouldn't the steam from the shower render the screen foggy anyways (even with the bath fan on)? I didn't think about that until now. confused.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The steam issue is valid, and from experience I'd have to toss out soap issues. My clear glass shower door quickly get a film from soap and shampoo --all over -- so you would be dealing with that too.

if you try it post and tell us the results, I'm curious...
post #5 of 10 Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Comp625,

Funny - I want to do exactly what you described. I had even identified the Pantech Element and the PadTab. I want to attach the PadTab to a glass surface in the shower - hope it stays on...

Let me know if you go ahead with this how it goes. I'll do the same.

Cheers,
Ed
post #6 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Quick update: I went ahead and did this and it works great! I used the PadTab on the shower glass, and put on it the Pantech Element. Works awesome! It's been a month and no sign of the PadTab becoming detached or anything like that - it's working great. Before I installed it, I prototyped it by hanging it in the place I was planning, and after that decided to raise it a bit higher so it gets a little wet (which makes the screen harder to see/read). I also installed the PadTab right before I went for a 10 day trip, so it got plenty of time to attach to the glass well.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool! Picts?
post #8 of 10 Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Informative thread. For anyone worried about the steam issue, I would recommend showering with the bathroom door open, if possible. This limits privacy but, in some situations, that's not really an issue.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I am the OP of this thread. Although thread is one year old, I am re-exploring the potential to use this tablet in the shower stall.

The Pantech Element is still the only waterproof tablet out there that is reasonably priced. It also looks like the going-price hasn't shifted much since last October. The tablet still sells second-hand for about $150-$200 on eBay.

As you guys pointed out, the downside to the Pantech Element is that, although waterproof, it is not steam-proof nor is it soap-proof. Also, the Element's software support is poor (it is running on an older "Ice Cream Sandwich" version of Android that is already outdated, and the mod-community is non-existent).

Am I better off buying a more modern tablet (for less money), such as the Google Nexus 7, and throwing it into one of these waterproof tablet pouch cases? Here's an example of the waterproof pouch -- it is essentially a glorified Ziplock-bag. It's not as classy or clean-looking compared to the standalone Pantech Element, AND the bag is "universal" so it wouldn't look fully snug.

On a related note, I previously thought about using Padtab but I don't think it is water resistent. So the tablet would be mounted onto the shower stall using the Dockem system for $10 --it's water-resistent and it's basically a glorified 3M adhesive system.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 PM

Looking to do something similar.  Good post.  I did come across the new Sony Xperia Z is fully Waterproof.  A bit pricy though.   Thinking of mounting a cheaper tablet outside the shower somewhere for music, etc. 

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Bestdealusa Compact Bluetooth A2dp Audio Music Headset Earphone Wireless Receiver Adapter