Kaleidescape Alternative ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gaspower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I was wondering if there is anyone with suggestions on an alternative to the Kaleidescape? A more economical system. I know that Kaleidescape is probably the best out there, but was looking for something more affordable.

Thanks JR
gaspower is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
gaspower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bend Oregon
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I did forget to ask, if possible also able to store Blu Ray.

JR
gaspower is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspower View Post

Sorry, I did forget to ask, if possible also able to store Blu Ray.
JR

Check out the Dune Smart Players and the PopcornHour C-200 for a similar product. A little step up in ease of admin might be the Vidabox Liiv
mlknez is offline  
post #4 of 36 Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
bluewhale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why not make your own? Get some Dune media players and a nas, something like a synology. I have 4 Dune media players in my house and a Synology ds1812.
bluewhale1 is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 10-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Member
 
mjt5282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Old Greenwich, CT, USA
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree, I love the idea of K. but it is too expensive for me right now, I have 2 Dunes and a NAS and use Zappiti jukebox software to browse and choose the movie to watch. The part that takes time is ripping and getting the metadata right - which K takes care of automatically.
mjt5282 is online now  
post #6 of 36 Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Tony Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm definitely interested in this thread but I've yet to be impressed with anything else out there. Their asking price is ridiculous. I wish they would open up their architecture to allow for 3rd party players and NAS devices.
Tony Vega is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What is impressive to you about K* but not about Dune with jukebox or Vidabox Liiv?
mlknez is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrfattbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

What is impressive to you about K* but not about Dune with jukebox or Vidabox Liiv?

2nd.

The only thing I could guess would be the ease of use and thus the WAF. I told my wife we could buy a system to replace what we I have built, then I told her the cost and that was the end of the conversation, lol.

Bill
mrfattbill is online now  
post #9 of 36 Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
LVS
Advanced Member
 
LVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

What is impressive to you about K* but not about Dune with jukebox or Vidabox Liiv?

Can you expand a bit on Vidabox? Cost, functionality. It appears to be dealer based only solution, no DIY?
LVS is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

2nd.
The only thing I could guess would be the ease of use and thus the WAF. I told my wife we could buy a system to replace what we I have built, then I told her the cost and that was the end of the conversation, lol.
Bill

I have 4 kids that have been using my Dune Player since the youngest was 5. She is now 9. I also have a wife that is tech averse. If it has been stable for 4 years and my little kids can use it, anybody can!

Remember, the Kaleidescape is not a media streamer, it is a DVD or Blu-ray jukebox. It will not do music/audio/other video formats/etc.
mlknez is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Member
 
Tony Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I have 4 kids that have been using my Dune Player since the youngest was 5. She is now 9. I also have a wife that is tech averse. If it has been stable for 4 years and my little kids can use it, anybody can!
Remember, the Kaleidescape is not a media streamer, it is a DVD or Blu-ray jukebox. It will not do music/audio/other video formats/etc.

Where is the content stored? I think the selling point of some of the options listed above is that they provide an almost turn-key system. Please detail your software package to rip/decode or whatever, your storage device, and your interface software package to navigate thru all the films.

thanks in advance.
Tony Vega is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
bluewhale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post

Where is the content stored? I think the selling point of some of the options listed above is that they provide an almost turn-key system. Please detail your software package to rip/decode or whatever, your storage device, and your interface software package to navigate thru all the films.
thanks in advance.

For me

Media stored on Synology ds1812+ I have 8 3tb hard drives
4 Dune media players(1 base 3.0 and 3 Smart d1 players)

I use anydvdhd to rip my blu ray and dvds to my computer. For dvds i use dvd shrink and make an iso of just the main movie. For blu rays i use clown bd and make an iso of just the main movie as well. I have nfs links set up so the dunes can access the movies on my server. As far as graphical interface i use Yadis

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25899
bluewhale1 is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 10-19-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,268
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Yes create your own storage. I intially used an HP MSS WHS system. I have 56TB of storage in it and with the My Movies add in(in conjunction with Any DVD HD) I connected three BD USB drives to it and it would automatcially rip the discs and automatically add coverart, NFOs etc. All I needed to do was insert the disc and remove it when finished. Everything else was automatic. Since my WHS is full now I use a couple of UnRAID boxes, one with 32TB and one with 11TB of storage. Since I've ripped all my discs I don't need to automatically rip them any more since it's only one or two discs at a time now. But with my WHS and two unRAID boxes I have access to all my full BD ISOs from all my media players for quick playback.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #14 of 36 Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrfattbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Yes create your own storage. I intially used an HP MSS WHS system. I have 56TB of storage in it and with the My Movies add in(in conjunction with Any DVD HD) I connected three BD USB drives to it and it would automatcially rip the discs and automatically add coverart, NFOs etc. All I needed to do was insert the disc and remove it when finished. Everything else was automatic. Since my WHS is full now I use a couple of UnRAID boxes, one with 32TB and one with 11TB of storage. Since I've ripped all my discs I don't need to automatically rip them any more since it's only one or two discs at a time now. But with my WHS and two unRAID boxes I have access to all my full BD ISOs from all my media players for quick playback.

I am always amazed at the amount of space you have, makes the ~18TB I run seem like a swap disk, lol.

Amazon also has the 3TB WD Red drives back instock smile.gif

Bill
mrfattbill is online now  
post #15 of 36 Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post

Where is the content stored? I think the selling point of some of the options listed above is that they provide an almost turn-key system. Please detail your software package to rip/decode or whatever, your storage device, and your interface software package to navigate thru all the films.
thanks in advance.

I have a 2 tiered system

3 Dune Players - Provides user interface, connects between media server and display/audio devices, streams content from the media server

1 Media Server - A windows 8 pc that provides the following functions:
Storage of all media and metadata files
Ripper
DVDFab for DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, DVD-Audio
Foobar2000 for SACD
Exact Audio Copy for CD
Scanner interface for photos
Home Video capture interface
MyMovies interface to create video metadata/jukebox
Musicnizer interface to create music metadata/jukebox
Windows media center interface to record broadcast and satellite TV
VideoRedo interface to edit commercials out of recordings
Home Automation Hub - z-wave
Security camera control and recording
Backup interface to backup data files to local storage, offsite storage and cloud storage


I generally control my systems with a Logitech Harmony One remote control, but I am also able to control via ipad or android phone
mlknez is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrfattbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I have a 2 tiered system
3 Dune Players - Provides user interface, connects between media server and display/audio devices, streams content from the media server
1 Media Server - A windows 8 pc that provides the following functions:

How do you like Windows 8 and the "Storage Spaces" feature if you are using it at all?

Bill
mrfattbill is online now  
post #17 of 36 Old 10-19-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

How do you like Windows 8 and the "Storage Spaces" feature if you are using it at all?
Bill

I am using it in a limited sense. My large array is a hardware raid array that was migrated from a windows 7 environment and thus does not use storage spaces, but I have a couple of smaller arrays that do. If I need to expand my large array, I will do so by adding it to the storage pools. There is no advantage at this point to breaking it up and allowing windows storage spaces to manage the drives individually... yet.
mlknez is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrfattbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I am using it in a limited sense. My large array is a hardware raid array that was migrated from a windows 7 environment and thus does not use storage spaces, but I have a couple of smaller arrays that do. If I need to expand my large array, I will do so by adding it to the storage pools. There is no advantage at this point to breaking it up and allowing windows storage spaces to manage the drives individually... yet.

Why couldn't windows allow you to add drive to the pool WITHOUT the need to format them mad.gif I have been looking for a way to aggregate 10 physical drives into one logical share but not using any type of RAID, just JBOD. That is how I ended up running TVersity to share my media but that created it's own set of issues, lol.

Bill
mrfattbill is online now  
post #19 of 36 Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Member
 
Tony Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I have a 2 tiered system
3 Dune Players - Provides user interface, connects between media server and display/audio devices, streams content from the media server
1 Media Server - A windows 8 pc that provides the following functions:
Storage of all media and metadata files
Ripper
DVDFab for DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, DVD-Audio
Foobar2000 for SACD
Exact Audio Copy for CD
Scanner interface for photos
Home Video capture interface
MyMovies interface to create video metadata/jukebox
Musicnizer interface to create music metadata/jukebox
Windows media center interface to record broadcast and satellite TV
VideoRedo interface to edit commercials out of recordings
Home Automation Hub - z-wave
Security camera control and recording
Backup interface to backup data files to local storage, offsite storage and cloud storage

I generally control my systems with a Logitech Harmony One remote control, but I am also able to control via ipad or android phone

Thank you for the system layout. What do you output or setting do you use on DVDFab?

It looks like this route with MyMovies and a Dune or a Vidabox is a much more affordable option. May I ask any of the MyMovies folks if this is Mac compatible? Being right next to Apple headquarters in Cupertino kinda rubbed off on me. cool.gif
Looks like shopping list comprises of the following...

-Dune B1 or the new Dune HD 3D Max
-MyMovies interface (if Mac compatible)
-Storage with hardware based raid
DVDFab Blu-Ray Ripper for Mac (already own)

Plan is to return the Oppo BDP-103 since I thought this player was going to provide the same interface as the Dune but with better video performance.
Tony Vega is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post

Thank you for the system layout. What do you output or setting do you use on DVDFab?
It looks like this route with MyMovies and a Dune or a Vidabox is a much more affordable option. May I ask any of the MyMovies folks if this is Mac compatible? Being right next to Apple headquarters in Cupertino kinda rubbed off on me. cool.gif
Looks like shopping list comprises of the following...
-Dune B1 or the new Dune HD 3D Max
-MyMovies interface (if Mac compatible)
-Storage with hardware based raid
DVDFab Blu-Ray Ripper for Mac (already own)
Plan is to return the Oppo BDP-103 since I thought this player was going to provide the same interface as the Dune but with better video performance.

I just do the blu-ray or dvd copy function. I like to keep the full disc as an .iso file. That way, I can always use the ripper option to recode for a different device like an ipad or android phone. I stay away from the apple world as much as I can, so I am the wrong one to ask about apple issues.
mlknez is offline  
post #21 of 36 Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Member
 
aphanson17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,

I am currently making a clone of Kaleidescape for my HTPC. I have posted a video of it here . Please let me know what you guys think. Remember though, I've only been working on it for a couple days so it's still in the very very early stages. There is still a lot to do.

Andrew
aphanson17 is offline  
post #22 of 36 Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Member
 
BlacMagik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm a little late to the party but I didn't see a mention of Plex, http://www.plexapp.com! If you have a NAS or a spare PC you can run the PMS, Plex Media server on it and use client devices, such a Roku, Apple TV, etc. This may be a much more cost effective solution for you. Check out Plex, I find it a more than suitable Kaleidescape alternative....even if I had the money for the system.
BlacMagik is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
To compare dune or any budget system to a K* system is crazy and the user has no IDEA, What the K* system gives you, You load your discs, it rips them for you using there own database of movie info that they pay good money for, they dont use moviedb or tvdb, Everything goes off disc ID there is never having to correct anything, let alone the system does all of this automatically for you, Next it offers plug and play systems you get the main unit to hold the movies, Anytime you plug in an extended player no setup is needed by the user the system sees it and everything works out of the box. Third you get what they call a kid remote, When a kid touches the kid remote the system knows its the kid remote only shows the content you have allowed for kid viewing and that is all the kids will ever see no input needed from the outside world.

Now Lets compare it to the DUNE. Does the DUNE rip and catalog movies, NO you would have to then use mymovies, Does the dune have its own self running jukebox again no you will have to use something like yadis, zappitti, Does any of the systems offer any jukebox switching based off what remote is used on what player NO. So again you cant compare any of the low budget systems to what they high end offers you. Can you achieve the same goal in the end sure any player will let you run a jukebox from a PC some will do it self contained on the box, Will any of them rip and catalog movies no, do any of them have any sort of kid modes not really nor the ease of use.

Plex while a good solution still does not fill the bill as much, If you are looking close to the K* System you would have to go xbmc htpc, they have plugins to autorip and catalog movies, they have options for parental controls although not as slick, but its one downfall is its not plug and play.
halfelite is online now  
post #24 of 36 Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr Eric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris/France
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
the only true alternative to Kaleidescape would be MyMovies for WHS : rips and catalogs everything (through DiscID, I'm pretty sure that the K. database is coming from MyMovies...). Then you are able to use it on a client HTPC running WMC (but not only as MM is able to export to various media players including Dune, PCH, Mede8er or even XBMC and more). It won't have the kids remote function, but includes the usual parental control. The final result is of course different from a real K. solution, but the price would be 1000 times cheaper, and you won't need to have the physical disc inserted in the carousel to be able to play the ripped file...
Mr Eric is online now  
post #25 of 36 Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Member
 
BlacMagik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

To compare dune or any budget system to a K* system is crazy and the user has no IDEA, What the K* system gives you, You load your discs, it rips them for you using there own database of movie info that they pay good money for, they dont use moviedb or tvdb, Everything goes off disc ID there is never having to correct anything, let alone the system does all of this automatically for you, Next it offers plug and play systems you get the main unit to hold the movies, Anytime you plug in an extended player no setup is needed by the user the system sees it and everything works out of the box. Third you get what they call a kid remote, When a kid touches the kid remote the system knows its the kid remote only shows the content you have allowed for kid viewing and that is all the kids will ever see no input needed from the outside world.

Now Lets compare it to the DUNE. Does the DUNE rip and catalog movies, NO you would have to then use mymovies, Does the dune have its own self running jukebox again no you will have to use something like yadis, zappitti, Does any of the systems offer any jukebox switching based off what remote is used on what player NO. So again you cant compare any of the low budget systems to what they high end offers you. Can you achieve the same goal in the end sure any player will let you run a jukebox from a PC some will do it self contained on the box, Will any of them rip and catalog movies no, do any of them have any sort of kid modes not really nor the ease of use.

Plex while a good solution still does not fill the bill as much, If you are looking close to the K* System you would have to go xbmc htpc, they have plugins to autorip and catalog movies, they have options for parental controls although not as slick, but its one downfall is its not plug and play.

I do agree that Kaleidescape is a more polished system, but for what you pay for it it should be. Plex is lacking a few features that I'd like to have, but I'd choose Plex over XBMC simply due to the support it has from some key manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Roku, just to name a few). I can install Plex on my Samsung TV in the Family Room, on my Samsung BD-Player in the bedroom, and the DLNA that they've incorporated is very nicely done...which allows the XBoxes and PS3's in my kids room to access the content. I've played with XBMC and although it is nice, I need to have a HTPC as a client in order to take full advantage of it. Plex is coming along nicely, adding feature after feature....besides, Plex is a fork of XBMC, so those features that XBMC has will eventually make their way to Plex. My current Plex setup includes a Mac Mini running PMS; content is stored on the NAS (Synology DS1812+), and I have the following clients....Samsung TV, Samsung BD-Player, Vizio Co-Star (Google TV), Roku, 2 XBox 360s, 2 PS3's, 2 iPads, 2 Kindles, 2 Nexus 7's.....in addition my Mom and my Sister have a Roku at their homes where they can access my content through Plex. I like XBMC, I'm the tech in the family and I feel that Plex is just easier for others to use without a lot of input from me; I could be wrong though, I've been happy with Plex and I haven't really taken a hard look at XBMC in about a year, maybe I'll take another look.
BlacMagik is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,562
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Kaleidescape now has its own more affordable alternative, the Cinema One.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #27 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr Eric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris/France
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
4k$ for a BR player ? biggrin.gif (yep, because if you need the disc in the tray to play the rip, i would call that a player...).

Once again, MyMovies is doing almost everything that kaleidescape is doing, but for a tiny fraction of the price. K is certainly very nice for people with 0 knowledge and rich enough to spend such an amount of $ without even caring about it...(what's 4 or 20k$ when you pay someone to build a 300k$ home theater in your mansion ?).
Mr Eric is online now  
post #28 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,562
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

4k$ for a BR player ? biggrin.gif (yep, because if you need the disc in the tray to play the rip, i would call that a player...).

Once again, MyMovies is doing almost everything that kaleidescape is doing, but for a tiny fraction of the price. K is certainly very nice for people with 0 knowledge and rich enough to spend such an amount of $ without even caring about it...(what's 4 or 20k$ when you pay someone to build a 300k$ home theater in your mansion ?).

Except that if you buy and download the Blu-ray data from the K store, you don't need a disc at all, and you do get the entire BR package, uncompressed audio, extra features, etc. So no, you don't always have to put a disc in.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #29 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr Eric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris/France
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
yes, but is it legal ? I don't know any kind of legal download offering a 1:1 rip (certainly ISO). this part seems extremely strange to me...TBH i don't see any Major setting up an agreement with K to authorize digital 1:1 rips while they are suiting them.

And what about the discs you already have ? For those you will always need to put it in the tray to play it, or buy again something you already own if you don't want to use the disc.
Mr Eric is online now  
post #30 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,562
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

yes, but is it legal ? I don't know any kind of legal download offering a 1:1 rip (certainly ISO). this part seems extremely strange to me...

And what about the discs you already have ? For those you will always need to put it in the tray to play it, or buy again something you already own if you don't want to use the disc.

The Blu-ray download is legal, and getting that licensing (probably) offers a partial explanation for the cost of the system. You are correct though, existing discs still have to go into the player. In all likelihood, someone who can afford a Kaleidescape would probably not flinch at re-purchasing a few titles, if the goal is to go disc-free. Of course, not all titles that are out on Blu-ray are available in the Kaleidescape online store.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off