Alternative to Slingbox? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all,

I have a slingbox and it is simple and easy but it became to simple and easy and my wife routinely connects to it now. Is there a product on the market that would allow to users to connect to the same device and watch two different live channels or am I wanting to much?
MacTruck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbarker View Post

Hey all,
I have a slingbox and it is simple and easy but it became to simple and easy and my wife routinely connects to it now. Is there a product on the market that would allow to users to connect to the same device and watch two different live channels or am I wanting to much?

Get a second cable/satellite box just for the sling. It does not need to be hooked up to any display device to work.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I have that, but now that my wife is using it as well we find that we both want to use it to often, or it could be that are breaks just happen to fall at the same time. Only one of us can be connected at a time so I was hoping to find a competing product with dual tuners possibly but that may be asking to much.. I was just curious if anyone knew a definitive answer..
post #4 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Get a second Slingbox.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #5 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There is no 2 tuner version of a slingbox, AFAIK. 2 slingboxes is the simplest solution. If you are both trying to access your slingbox from a remote location via the internet at the same time, you may find that two users at the same time results in a drop in quality, assuming there is some limit on your upload bandwidth.

There are tuner products like the HDHomerun with multiple TV tuners that allow multiple connections on your home LAN, but there is no easy way to connect over the internet...it would require a PC with Windows Media Center running and software called "Remote Potato". Time and $$. You would still have the same quality limitations of your upload bandwidth.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

So the competing products from Vulkano, Belkin, Hava, etc.. all also only allow one connection at a time?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbarker View Post

So the competing products from Vulkano, Belkin, Hava, etc.. all also only allow one connection at a time?
Hava is the forerunner to Vulkano and the Belkin is an off shoot of the Vulkano. They are all made by Monsoon. They can have mulitple LAN connections but only one WAN connection. They only have one input so you would all have to watch the same content anyway.

Currently 2 separate boxes is the way to go. The Vulkanos will stream quite comfortably with about 1-2Mb so if your upload is 5MB or less you would be better with the Vulkanos.

If upload speed is not a problem then the Slingboxes have HD.

Monsoon are currently working on a HD version of their Vulkano is it is supposed to be ready some time next year.

I personally dont like the way Slingbox collect stats on you - they monitor everything you watch. The Vulkano does not do this.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.. I'll just go pick up another sling box and hook up to the receiver in my home office
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming