mp4 m2ts blu ray rips from hard drive HDD through USB or other media device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an external HD with some mp4 files from my camera as well as a few blu ray rips. I currently have this hooked to a Samsung bd-C5500 blu ray play via the USB port and it plays everything perfectly except the mp4 files which have the HD audio intact either dts master HD or DD HD. with these files I get no sound at all just the picture and a message "codec not supported".

1) Why would it say codec un-supported as it obviously supports these from a blu ray disc?
2) Am I doing something wrong?
3) If this is a fault of the blu ray player are there any inexpensive media players that will play these formats from an external HDD?

I downloaded the dts master HD test file as a test from the below link and once again get no sound. These are m2st files with the extension changed to mp4 (this is how I typically play all m2st files).

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
1) The mp4 container does not support HD audio.
2) Renaming the m2ts files to mp4 does not make them mp4, your merely tricking the player into seeing the files as from the sounds of it filters out m2ts.
3) Samsung and other BD vendors often intentionally cripple the USB/DLNA player, either through incompetence or political reasons wanting to keep you using your discs.

Use MakeMKV on the BD disc to extract the movie to a .mkv container with AC3 or DTS audio and those may play on the Samsung, the Samsung is unlikely to support HD audio. You could use a feature of MakeMKV where it can transcode the audio stream into lossless Flac, there would be no quality loss if used on HD audio tracks however I'm not sure if Samsung supports Flac in mkv.

As for other devices to play it, try the Pivos AIOS media player.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
m2ts is in fact an mp4 file just different container same as mkv all are H.264. also mp4 does in fact support HD audio. As a side note these files play perfectly on my computer with VLC.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page