Squeezebox Touch Alternative - or grab one before they're gone! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the price of a Squeezebox Touch creeping up to (and over) MSRP, I need to commit to it or some other system.

I need a wireless audio renderer (internet and local) and the Touch seemed to be the best option until it was cancelled. Now I'm hesitating and may have missed my opportunity.

Suggestions? Opinions? Alternatives?

Thank you.

-Gak Toid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Consider a cheap laptop. Bigger screen, excellent networking, and bit-perfect audio output (if using HDMI). One advantage of a laptop is that you can run any audio software you want, instead of being limited to the firmware Logitech provided with the Touch (which is fine, but choice is always good). If you get a Windows 8 laptop (or tablet) you'll even have the touchscreen.

And, you can always use it as a computer as well.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I've been wondering about using a tablet (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434316/anyone-use-a-tablet-as-an-audio-extender), but was concerned about ease of use (for the wife) and sound quality. I have a limited choice of amplifiers (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434776/form-over-function-13-wide-receiver-amp) due to space limitations so if I do pick up a tablet or laptop, I'll probably end up using the headphone jack as the audio output.

-Gak Toid
post #4 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Liked: 11
I got all of my squeeze boxes on craigslist. I expect to see more of them now that logitech has discontinued them.

While the touch is nice, I think even the Squeezebox classic would do just fine. You really start to appreciate the system when you install and use an iPad app to control your squeezebox systems. I recently tried both the SqueezePad and iPeng (after holding out for a long time). While both are nice, I have a slight preference over SqueezePad. It really makes using the system enjoyable.

The point is, when you are able to control it from the ipad, whether the device itself have a color display or not becomes less relevant, so you could save yourself some money and get some of the older units as well (and IMHO the classic is more bug free than the touch...)

But if you don't have anything and are starting out fresh, I am hesitant to recommend the squeezebox now that Logitech has discontinued it, especially buying new. A lot of what it does can be found on other devices (I use Pandora and it's available on receivers directly now..)

You can try the system cheaply without an actual SB if you have some ipad/iphone/touch around:

1) the server is free, download it and install it
2) install iPeng with player capability on your iphone/ipod touch, and use it as a player. ($10?)
3) install SqueezePad on your iPad to control it [optional, $10].

If you already have iPad/iPhone, this is the cheapest way to try the system to see how you like it.

SqueezePad can also act as a player, but I assume it'll be easier to find a ipod touch/phone not being used fully and use it as a player rather than an ipad... And if you are using apple products as a player for squeezebox system, you might begin to wonder why not just use airplay..

I recently tried a Sonos Player 5. It's a decent system. Pricy, but sound quality is pretty damn good. But even my wife complained because it lacks a simple on/off button, and no display. On the plus side, they will likely be around seeing it's the only thing they do, unlike Logitech.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

wildgoose,

You're not the first person to assume I owned an iDevice. I do not.

I'm negotiating with my wife to get more shelf space for a normal sized receiver. Maybe I'll try one that supports Pandora before investing in a tablet.

-Gak Toid
post #6 of 11 Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM

There are new SB Touch available from J&R for a decent price compared to Ebay where the prices have gone above $300 ! . I called JR and they told me that they will have stock around now. Most of the electronics mail order places that we usually buy from dont have inventory

For me the Touch is ideal because I only stream from the flac files I have in my desktop to the Hi Fi system. I seldom use services like Pandora etc
post #7 of 11 Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM

I use the Squeezebox Touch for a variety of reasons; ability to serve FLAC files, ability to handle large libraries, and I have a NAS coupled with the Touch so I don't have to boot up a computer to listen to the stereo. The Touch has an excellent DAC built-in, and in my opinion it's the best of the Squeezebox products. I use the Orange Squeeze app loaded on a Nexus 7 tablet to easily control the music from anywhere in my home.

There are plenty of excellent apps for phones and tablets regardless of which platform you use.

When it was announced that the Squeezebox line was canceled and there were no replacements planned, I bought a backup Touch from Amazon. At the time they were going for $240, but the price has creeped up as supply has diminished. If it were me, I would buy the Touch, even at today's price. Logitech has stated that they will continue to support the platform (although they have not stated for how long), and if your needs are similar to mine there is no current solution that matches the price and quality.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GakToid View Post

wildgoose,
You're not the first person to assume I owned an iDevice. I do not.
I'm negotiating with my wife to get more shelf space for a normal sized receiver. Maybe I'll try one that supports Pandora before investing in a tablet.
-Gak Toid

Sonos.com

Jgiddyup
post #9 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgoose View Post

I got all of my squeeze boxes on craigslist. I expect to see more of them now that logitech has discontinued them.
While the touch is nice, I think even the Squeezebox classic would do just fine. You really start to appreciate the system when you install and use an iPad app to control your squeezebox systems. I recently tried both the SqueezePad and iPeng (after holding out for a long time). While both are nice, I have a slight preference over SqueezePad. It really makes using the system enjoyable.
The point is, when you are able to control it from the ipad, whether the device itself have a color display or not becomes less relevant, so you could save yourself some money and get some of the older units as well (and IMHO the classic is more bug free than the touch...)
But if you don't have anything and are starting out fresh, I am hesitant to recommend the squeezebox now that Logitech has discontinued it, especially buying new. A lot of what it does can be found on other devices (I use Pandora and it's available on receivers directly now..)
You can try the system cheaply without an actual SB if you have some ipad/iphone/touch around:
1) the server is free, download it and install it
2) install iPeng with player capability on your iphone/ipod touch, and use it as a player. ($10?)
3) install SqueezePad on your iPad to control it [optional, $10].
If you already have iPad/iPhone, this is the cheapest way to try the system to see how you like it.
SqueezePad can also act as a player, but I assume it'll be easier to find a ipod touch/phone not being used fully and use it as a player rather than an ipad... And if you are using apple products as a player for squeezebox system, you might begin to wonder why not just use airplay..
I recently tried a Sonos Player 5. It's a decent system. Pricy, but sound quality is pretty damn good. But even my wife complained because it lacks a simple on/off button, and no display. On the plus side, they will likely be around seeing it's the only thing they do, unlike Logitech.

Was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on the Ipeng app. From my search I am still not sure if a SB device is needed or not (I don't have a SB device). From the developers site (http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/08/playback-comes-to-ipeng/) it would appear if by installing this app ($6) on an iTouch with Sqeezecenter running (on a NAS in my case), one should be able to connect to to the library over the network and push music to your AVR with its "AirPlay" version so to speak?

My goal is to stream ALAC from my NAS to my AVR (Marantz 6006). My NAS has Twonky media server as well as Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.1 running.

If an Apple TV or Airport would get me to this point, I'm ready to do that.

Thanks
post #10 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Liked: 12
I think I have already answered your question via mail, just in case somebody else is curious:
This works, you do NOT need a Squeezebox, iPeng itself can act as a player, too, but you will have to purchase that functionality separately (another $5) as an In-App-Purchase (you can unlock it from within the App).

ALAC is fully supported by iPeng and iPeng also has an "AirPlay" control (or you can use the system default one in the iOS task bar).
post #11 of 11 Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Sorry to re open the question here;

I am considering to run a SBT in my car with NAS ;
Goal is to run FLAC through optical out

HAve so many questions , I am pretty good in car sound system but not with network systems;

What do I need ? ( SBT+HDD with NAS + small wireless router ( number of ports ?) + LAN cables ;
Do I need anything more ? Do I have to connect to internet all the time to stream FLAC from the NAS ?
have an iphone is it ok for SBT to connect internet through shared connection.
I dont want to involve any notebook after first installation ,
As it will be a discontinued product will it fail to run in future regarding the apps , internet radio etc ?

Thanks alot
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page