Replacing PCH-C200 w/either C-300 or Dune Smart H1 or B1, Recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,
I'm considering selling my PCH-C200 and getting either a C-300 or a Dune Smart, either H1 or B1. I use the C-200 for both music (lots of .flac files spread across an internal drive as well as several USB drives) as well as movies (.iso's,.avi's,.mkv's etc. on same drives). I play a lot more music than I do movies and therein lies one of the issues I have with the C-200, it's random play function doesn't work very well, I'll often hear pretty much the same tracks played from day to day even though I've got approximately 890 tracks in the playlist I usually listen to.

I'm wondering if the Dune Smart or PCH C-300 have the same problem? One other thing I'm looking to do is to add a BD ROM drive to the player I purchase in order to rip Blu-ray (no 3-D) discs into.MKV files. Can I do that with the Dune SMART B1 or does Cinavia get in the way? The Dune website only lists Blu-ray playback as a function of the Smart B1, nothing about a standalone BD ROM drive. Also, does the new display on the C-300 show album art? I like my C-200 because it will play just about any file format I feed it, can I expect the same performance from a Dune Smart?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Dan G in CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post

Hello Everyone,
I'm considering selling my PCH-C200 and getting either a C-300 or a Dune Smart, either H1 or B1. I use the C-200 for both music (lots of .flac files spread across an internal drive as well as several USB drives) as well as movies (.iso's,.avi's,.mkv's etc. on same drives). I play a lot more music than I do movies and therein lies one of the issues I have with the C-200, it's random play function doesn't work very well, I'll often hear pretty much the same tracks played from day to day even though I've got approximately 890 tracks in the playlist I usually listen to.
I'm wondering if the Dune Smart or PCH C-300 have the same problem? One other thing I'm looking to do is to add a BD ROM drive to the player I purchase in order to rip Blu-ray (no 3-D) discs into.MKV files. Can I do that with the Dune SMART B1 or does Cinavia get in the way? The Dune website only lists Blu-ray playback as a function of the Smart B1, nothing about a standalone BD ROM drive. Also, does the new display on the C-300 show album art? I like my C-200 because it will play just about any file format I feed it, can I expect the same performance from a Dune Smart?
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

You cannot use these players to rip Blu rays, you need to do that on a PC

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3 of 3 Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Not to mention you are not gaining to much by moving one player up, If you can resale the 200 series for a decent chunk of change then go for it but if not I would stick with the 200 series does not sound like its really worth it for you to update.

And as you have noticed with random it actually happens on a lot of products, The sonos controller used to pick its random number by how long it takes the controller to start up which if your library never changed was pretty much the same number almost every time. so you would hear the same songs over and over, A lot of car stereos function the same way.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page