New Home Streaming Question from New Member - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum as a member (as you can tell by post #1). I have stalked these forums for a long time for info on projectors, theater builds, etc. I'm currently in the processing of buying my first home (down to three and all have a basement - a must!). All of the basements have room for the following - pool table, bar, projector / seating area.

I want to start planning out a home media server / streaming solution and figured I'd start with this forum. I have read sooooooooooo many different threads and there are just too many options. I'm hoping some can help narrow down what I would need vs. what I already have.

Currently Own:
  • Xbox 360
  • PS3
  • Apple TV 2 (2x)
  • Apple Time Capsule - w/ 2 TB external drive for wireless file sharing
  • Apple MBPro

Here is what I would like to have setup...
  • Central Home Server to stream all audio / video to any TV (basement / living room)
  • Ability to record TV and save to Home Server
  • Access to Netflix, Hulu, etc.
  • Stream audio throughout basement speakers (ability to stream to other speakers eventually - thinking backyard, living room - would like them to be able to play independent of each other or play the same thing)
  • Touchscreen in the wall to control the music (just for coolness factor)
  • MegaTouch-esque touchscreen to play games on (MegaTouch's are too expensive for my new house budget)
  • Hard Drive solution that can be expanded

These are just things I have thought through, but would be open to any cool, interesting extras to add. Thanks in advance and look forward to finally interacting with this community, not just reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

So after doing some more researching, I think I have come up with an easier solution. I'm not sure if it's the best, but I would like the most bang for my buck. I'm not a big audiophile, nor does everything I watch HAVE to be in 1080P. I was curious if the below solution could potentially work and what other pieces of equipment I may need.

Currently Own
  • Xbox 360
  • PS3
  • iPad 1
  • Apple TV2 (2x - 1 of which was just recently jailbroken to run XBMC)
  • Apple Time Capsule - w/ 2 TB external drive for wireless file sharing
  • Apple MBPro

What I'd Like To Do
  • Central Home Server to stream all audio / video to any TV (basement / living room)
  • Ability to record TV and save to Home Server - Would be cool, but the more I thought about it, I don't think this is essential
  • Access to Netflix, Hulu, etc. - Covered with 360 / PS3
  • Stream audio throughout basement speakers (ability to stream to other speakers eventually - thinking backyard, living room - would like them to be able to play independent of each other or play the same thing)
  • Touchscreen in the wall to control the music (just for coolness factor) - Found a cool wall mount for the iPad
  • MegaTouch-esque touchscreen to play games on (MegaTouch's are too expensive for my new house budget) - Potentially could just get another iPad and do something with that
  • Hard Drive solution that can be expanded - Looking into Drobo / Synology

Potential Solution?
Again, I'm not a big audiophile / 1080P is necessary for everything type of guy, so if my video is 720P, 1080i, 1080P, that is perfectly fine by me.
  • Need to buy Receiver capable of handling: XBOX 360, PS3, Apple TV, Cable Box, other?
  • Setup NAS connected to Apple Time Capsule to allow anyone on network to retrieve files - necessary since my office is upstairs and NAS (photography collection) will be downstairs
  • Use jailbroken Apple TV with XBMC to use in basement (where projector, speakers, bar, pool table, fun smile.gif ) is located
  • To stream music, use iPad / iTunes library to AirPlay to AppleTV connected to receiver?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yeah that will work.

The only fly in the ointment is;
1) AppleTV's are not very good media streamers, XBMC really only works well with H.264 media on them as thats all the AppleTV supports in hardware, the CPU has to handle any other media type.
2) iTunes media library only works with media on the iPad or if iTunes is running on a Mac/PC somewhere on the network.

A possible solution is to use XBMC instead for media library as only XBMC needs to be running somewhere on a device nothing else, that way the media on the Timecapsule can be scanned by XBMC and you can use XBMC remotes like XBMC Commander or the official iOS XBMC remote to select and play media (it's quite similar to Apples media library).
post #4 of 10 Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, @Alx330. Just so I'm clear, you are suggesting to setup XBMC to retrieve all data from NAS (movies, TV shows, music, etc.) and then just use a remote to control XBMC? Other than AppleTV to stream the XBMC data, would you suggest an HTPC? I'd rather keep the cost low and it seems like I'd rather have a NAS over a HTPC, but I guess I am open to more suggestions. Thanks again!
post #5 of 10 Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowman View Post

Thanks, @Alx330. Just so I'm clear, you are suggesting to setup XBMC to retrieve all data from NAS (movies, TV shows, music, etc.) and then just use a remote to control XBMC? Other than AppleTV to stream the XBMC data, would you suggest an HTPC? I'd rather keep the cost low and it seems like I'd rather have a NAS over a HTPC, but I guess I am open to more suggestions. Thanks again!
Just use AppleTV, not sure where people get it's not very good, I stream 1080P movies music flawlessly everywhere.........I also just use Airport expresses alone for audio, to whole house audio, Apple TV for video.. If you get iRule you can run everything from your iPhone or Android including Amps, receivers, TVs projectors, lights, pretty much everything
post #6 of 10 Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes thats what I'm saying, XBMC can scan a NAS and operate independently with no Mac/PC required.

AppleTV on it's own and iPad require iTunes Homesharing which needs your Mac on all the time as Apple do not provide a Homsharing server on the Timecapsule.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info @Mark P and @Alx330. I have setup XBMC, but am having troubles accessing my External HDD that is connected to my Time Capsule, any thoughts if either of you have done the same?

Also, I'm looking to get a NAS as ripping my home DVD library is crushing my 2TB external drive very quickly. Thanks again!
post #8 of 10 Old 11-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Try browsing via AFP* in XBMC to get to the Timecapsule instead of SMB (windows networking). Timecapsules samba/smb is not very good, it's best to add the address as an IP address not the network SMB name, remove any username/password requirements on the disk share too if present.

* If not called that it might be called apple networking or be under zeroconf.

Timecapsules are not great NAS in general, you should consider anything from Synology or QNAP as a replacement.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-10-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Thanks for all the info @Mark P and @Alx330. I have setup XBMC, but am having troubles accessing my External HDD that is connected to my Time Capsule, any thoughts if either of you have done the same?
Also, I'm looking to get a NAS as ripping my home DVD library is crushing my 2TB external drive very quickly. Thanks again!
Don't thank me, I gave up on trying to build huge media (video) libraries long ago. Truthfully, I mainly just use DirecTv and its On Demand via Genie/HD clients these days and only load the really, really good movies on my iMac and MacBooks that will be viewed over and over ( mainly grandchildren Pixar/Disney stuff)

On the Audio side I'm also trimming the fat considerably these days. The days of needing terabyte after terabyte which add up to thousands of hours I don't have left on this earth have left the building wink.gif

Have you looked into iRule to run all your stuff off your iPhone/iPad/Android?
post #10 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks @Alx330 - I just went and purchased a Drobo. I know I have read some bad things by some people, but some of my friends have them and they have worked out well (and also the cost was a little much for me to handle right now).

@Mark P - No, I haven't looked into iRule. I just checked it out and it looks pretty great. Something I'll definitely have to look into in the future.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page