noob help plz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a wdtv live smp which i have connected to a panasonic 42e5 tv. now i want to setup a speaker system and i am tight on a cash. now i know wdtv passes dolb and dts only via hdmi. my question is, if i purchase a dvd home theatre system supporting dolby dts, and connected my tv to this via hdmi [arc], will wdtv pass dolby/dts signals through these speakers?
plz help. i cannot purchase a av reciever right now? or is there any other low cost solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 11
@suheiluneen:

This works for me with my TH42PZ80:

Feed the HDMI output from the WDTV SMP to one HDMI input on the Panny.

Feed the Optical Audio output from the Panny to the Optical Audio input on the DVD player/Home Theatre (mine is a Panasonic SC-PT760, which cost $500 three years ago).

Feed the HDMI Audio/Video output from the Home Theatre to a second HDMI input on the Panny.

Now, you can select between the WDTV input, the DVD input, and any other set-top box if you have one, and the audio from each will be fed to the Home Theatre speakers.

I hope that works for you.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Code:
thanks for the reply. I know that will work, but do u get dolby/dts connected that way?
post #4 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 PM

Sorry, I have no idea.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The ONLY way you will get Dolby or DTS is to feed the WD directly to the receiver - what ever that turns out to be. If you feed the WD to the TV then to the receiver you will only get 2 channel audio. No matter what you feed the TV it will only output 2 channels because that is the way Hollywood wrote the rules for HDMI. Only if the signal ORIGINATES in the TV, --think OTA TV-- will the TV output more than 2 channels via optical/coax or HDMI.

HDMI was only created for copy protection, in no way was it developed for customer convenience.

I have no idea what if any budget you have but there are deals on good equipment out there is you search. I just added a Roku XS to my bedroom system, it too only outputs DD via HDMI and my bedroom receiver only had optical or coax inputs, and I was able to find a nice HDMI equipped receiver on ebay delivered for $40. It took me a fw weeks to find the right deal but if you are diligent they can be found.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Use an optical / toslink cable from your TV to your Receiver, and connect the WDTV to your TV via HDMI. My parents have a 5.1 surround sound, and their receiver doesn't have HDMI. So, I hooked up their receiver to only handle sound. All their devices, cable, blu-ray player and WDTV2 are connected to their LCD HDTV via HDMI, and one optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

Optical cable (toslink) are capable of 125 Megabits per second. So, bandwith is not a limiting factor for optical cables. However, both optical and coax cable adhere to the Sony Philips digital interconnect format, or S/PDIF. The S/PDIF spec was made to standardize consumer electronics, but now acts as a bottleneck for new formats.

The S/PDIF spec is limited to around 1.5 Mbit and can transfer 5.1 channel Dolby Digital, 6.1 channel Dolby Digital EX, 5.1 channel DTS, 6.1 channel DTS-ES (matrixed or discrete), and 2 channel uncompressed PCM.

Optical / coaxial cords will not give you 7.1 channel audio or any of the high definition audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD, DTS HD MA, Multi-Channel PCM.

Hope that helps.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, so I need to get a reciever.
Which would be a better solution, a htpc or using a dedicated reciever
post #8 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 AM

@suheilunneen:
In your OP you said you wanted to connect your WDTV to speakers, and you are short of cash, and you want to listen to files with Dolby and DTS audio.

You got two conflicting answers above - connect WDTV HDMI out to HDMI TV IN, and connect WDTV HDMI OUT to receiver HDMI IN.

Now you are talking about an HTPC, which is more expensive than a receiver and probably would not deliver the sound tracks you want.

I think you should stick to a receiver.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Where I live I can build a htpc for around 1000 bucks. A reciever from onkyo or Yamaha is more than 2k.
Anyway thanks for the input
post #10 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The technology of Toslink or Coax has nothing to do with what you TV will output. Yes, they can output DD 5.1 and DTS but the issue is that your TV will not send that signal out as it was not generated in the TV. There are a handful of items that are not in compliance with the HDMI standards, I have an old Directv HD Tivo that does not comply and will allow DD over optical out of the TV but that is the only unit I have that does that.

I have spoken with a number of manufactures over the years and they indicate that there is a flag on the HDMI signal that triggers the equipment receiving the signal, in your case the TV, if it can pass the DD signal out via optical, in all modern cases it is no. This is there simply for copy protection nothing else.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page