AVS Forum banner

streaming media wireless connection question

373 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GusGus748s 
#1 ·
This may be a dumb question, but would be dumb if didn't ask before upgrading.

I have internet connection and paying for speed at 10mbps (standard speed). This modem is then connected to my wireless router (broadcasts 108mbps, 802.11g). Why would I upgrade to N Router with 300mbps speed? when actual speed is still determined by the speed coming into my house at 10mbps? What am I missing? I do have weak areas at 2nd floor of house that I can maybe get a wireless signal extender instead?

#2 ·
For just internet streaming? You wouldn't.

But you do need to understand that "108 mb" number is BS. So is the 300mb on the newer routers. Real-life sustained throughput on a G router for example in the 15-25 mb range. Real-life for most n routers is in the 25-40 mb range.

Both remain plenty fast enough for internet streaming (assuming nobody else is doing anything on your network of course- if your kid is wirelessly streaming something to his ipad while you try and stream too, plus your wife is streaming pandora in another room wirelessly, your G router might be sweating a bit).

But neither G nor N is adequate for local network streaming of high bitrate blurays for example.... which is why wireless kinda sucks for that.... (wired being best, something like powerline or MOCA being next)

#3 ·
One other consideration is range (signal strength - not signal speed). I can't count the number of "G" router I've replaced because of ability-to-connect problems caused by walls, appliances, interference from other devices, etc. You in fact may need a range extender but a simple change to a quality "N" router may also solve your problem.

#4 ·
I hate using wireless connection. The only devices at my house that use wireless are my wife's laptop, cell phone and iPads. I broke down and wired my house with Cat6. However, since you want to use wireless, I would get a good wireless router, change the channel that supports best range/connectivity. Make sure all of your devices support N signal. If you do not want to get a new router, I would suggest a range extender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.