Roku 2 XS stream bluray rips with Plex on server. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the Roku 2 XS stream (movie only) non compressed full HD bluray rips WITH lossless audio?

I currently use a TIVX box with the firmware patch to stream full 1080P 24fps with lossless audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
No way. It can only play H.264/mp4 or H.264/mkv videos.

Plex on the 2nd gen Sony GoogleTV might (cant say for certain) play uncompressed bluray rips with regular audio (ac3/dts) ripped via makemkv. Maybe someone here has tried it but for Plex that would be the closest option.

If not get a Dune or Popcornhour.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

No way. It can only play H.264/mp4 or H.264/mkv videos.

Plex on the 2nd gen Sony GoogleTV might (cant say for certain) play uncompressed bluray rips with regular audio (ac3/dts) ripped via makemkv. Maybe someone here has tried it but for Plex that would be the closest option.

If not get a Dune or Popcornhour.

I have two Roku2 players and a 2nd generation Sony GTV. The Roku2 players are very nice for what they do, but they are very underpowered compared to the Sony player which handles very high bitrate 1080p test streams such as the birds test files. The Plex client on the Sony will Direct play pretty well anything. It seems to me to be the best Plex client out there. Of course there is still the DTS issue, which is not supported with Direct Play/Direct Stream on the Sony and certainly not on the Roku2.

Philip
post #4 of 4 Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Liked: 10
I can play some decent bitrate BD rips on the Roku 2 via plex as long as I'm using Ethernet, but the audio is transcoded to Dolby Digital. I've been having fun with openELEC XBMC on the Raspberry Pi, which runs on the same Broadcom SOC as the Roku 2, but without the restrictions of the Roku OS. You can connect to a Plex server if you like with PlexBMC, but it also streams well via SMB and NFS. You can do passthrough of DTS-MA and DD-HD core audio with fiddling, but you won't get HD audio out of the Pi due to lack of codec licenses. If you need to play BD ISO's, then the Dune, Popcorn Hour, or any number of cheap Realtek 1185/86 boxes will do just that.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page