Transfer audio via network cable (does this device exist?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I basically want to transmit audio from one room where I have my NAS PC, to my living room. The NAS would play the audio and is connected to the router by cable and the router is right next to the amplifier in the living room.

I am aware that there are wireless audio transmission systems. I am looking for something exactly like that, apart from that I'd like the audio to be transmitted over the network, since I already have the cable in place. Does this sort of device exist? I know there are professional grade devices around that do this sort of thing, but my needs (and budget) are much more modest.

Many thanks for any suggestions or other ways on how to best go about this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
On second (and third) thought, I suppose this sort of thing could be doable by streaming mp3 from the NAS and having a cheap media player with cinch outputs attached at the router end.

Edit: what i'm practically trying to accomplish is have the NAS PC in one room play music through the amplifier in a different room. And I do not want to have to pull another cable from the room where the NAS is located. I have subsonic installed on the NAS, if that's any help.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Trkac,

Welcome to the forum.

If all of your music is MP3, and you don't want to pay much, you may want to try an Audiotron. It connects to your Ethernet, and also connects to your stereo with either two standard RCA audio cables or an optical TosLink cable. You need to add nothing to your NAS, as the Audiotron, on power-up, will search your network for MP3s and catalog them. You then access them with the Audiotron's remote-control or front panel.

I have four of these, pulling music from a Synology NAS. It also has a web interface, so I control them from my laptop. I bought them for around $30 each from eBay so it's perfect if you don't want to pay much.

Some caveats:

It will not play music from iTunes. It was designed before iTunes existed. It does not play FLAC either. Only MP3 files and WAV files.

It works well only if the metadata is correct for the audio files. If there is no metadata, it will only show filenames. You can not browse your collection by artist, album, genre etc without metadata. I use a free program called MP3tag to maintain my metadata.

The Internet-radio is limited to stations using older codecs.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkac View Post

Hi all,
I basically want to transmit audio from one room where I have my NAS PC, to my living room. The NAS would play the audio and is connected to the router by cable and the router is right next to the amplifier in the living room.
I am aware that there are wireless audio transmission systems. I am looking for something exactly like that, apart from that I'd like the audio to be transmitted over the network, since I already have the cable in place. Does this sort of device exist? I know there are professional grade devices around that do this sort of thing, but my needs (and budget) are much more modest.
Many thanks for any suggestions or other ways on how to best go about this!

For $99 its tough to beat the AppleTV Generation 3. Uses ethernet cable you already have to access music on your NAS PC. Doesn't play FLAC files. File conversions from format to format are simple with dBpoweramp music converter.

If you can spend $150 check out the Micca EP600 G2 Digital Media Player. Uses ethernet cable same as AppleTV but handles FLAC files and most other video formats as well. I was using AppleTV G3 but upgraded to the Micca. Very satisfied.

Both AppleTV and Micca have HDMI output, Coaxial output, Optical output, analog audio outputs.

Good luck

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page