Give a noob a helping hand with a simple media network... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have honestly been up and down the line on how to accomplish the things I am looking to do with my home media network, and I am still confused as to what would be the best, most efficient way for me.

My main goals are:

- I want to have a networked storage drive so i can create and access downloads from my laptops or android phones.

- To be able to control my audio media (through a nice functional interface, so it's not clunky to navigate) via phones and laptops, and have full functionality over my stereo receiver ON TWO DIFFERENT FLOORS OF MY APPT. Mostly just will need to control volume and which speakers are actively playing, but turning the device off/on, and choosing what to play is also essential.

- Stream video media from my network drive to my TV (which is a smart TV with DLNA and network jack - TV is Samsung LN46C650L1F). NOTE - I do not want to deal with constantly converting files, if i can avoid it. So I suppose a good front end is worth the money to me.

- Use third party apps like Amazon Prime and Netflix to watch video media.

- Not have to use 3-4 different remote controls to control video and toggle between video/audio when i am upstairs in front of the TV.

RAID backups and all that is a bonus, but these things above are my main goals. I want to do these things well but not overspend for things I don't need at the moment

Any advice for any aspect, or the whole concept would be VERY much appreciated... Thanks guys!

Current equipment: Samsung TV LN46C650L1F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any advice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 PM

Ill start off by saying I'm fairly new to all this as well, but do have a little experience. I may not be able to help a lot, but will try. If not, maybe we'll just create some interest in this post so some other more knowledgeable members may offer their expertise. Other than your TV, what other equipment do you currently have?

post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Noob here also. I feel your pain.

I hate being new at forums, it is sometimes hard to get answers.
Best thing to start is use the search function and then step away from the general question and kind of piece by piece ask questions .

The problem here is that everyone has different set ups, wants, desires and needs.

Map out like you have, search the specific pieces and then hit the TECHNICAL questions, HOW, WHAT, WHY, WILL IT WORK and then most are great at helping from there.

Unfortunately we don't all have the same gear, so you have to be specific one piece at a time.

For what it is worth...

Have a great weekend.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillsnik View Post

I have honestly been up and down the line on how to accomplish the things I am looking to do with my home media network, and I am still confused as to what would be the best, most efficient way for me.
My main goals are:
- I want to have a networked storage drive so i can create and access downloads from my laptops or android phones.
- To be able to control my audio media (through a nice functional interface, so it's not clunky to navigate) via phones and laptops, and have full functionality over my stereo receiver ON TWO DIFFERENT FLOORS OF MY APPT. Mostly just will need to control volume and which speakers are actively playing, but turning the device off/on, and choosing what to play is also essential.
- Stream video media from my network drive to my TV (which is a smart TV with DLNA and network jack - TV is Samsung LN46C650L1F). NOTE - I do not want to deal with constantly converting files, if i can avoid it. So I suppose a good front end is worth the money to me.
- Use third party apps like Amazon Prime and Netflix to watch video media.
- Not have to use 3-4 different remote controls to control video and toggle between video/audio when i am upstairs in front of the TV.
RAID backups and all that is a bonus, but these things above are my main goals. I want to do these things well but not overspend for things I don't need at the moment
Any advice for any aspect, or the whole concept would be VERY much appreciated... Thanks guys!
Current equipment: Samsung TV LN46C650L1F

I just recently went through this process of seeing up HTPC's and my home network so let me see if I can give you some help. As a note, everything I've done is working 99% perfectly for me right now. Knock on wood.

Networked Storage Drive - I purchased a Synology NAS and filled it with two 3tb Seagate Hard Drives configured at Raid0 to mirror one another for security. This is hooked directly into my router and is accessible via my home network as well as a number of apps for my iPad and Android devices. Awesome device and very easy to set up. Would highly recommend.

A/V Control - Now I've been more focused on video but I can control my audio from all over the house with just a good RF remote. I am using an Acer laptop as my streaming device and run XBMC as my front end. I can control that program via a remote, mouse, keyboard, my android phone or ipad via the network. Again, great tool.

Streaming to your TV - Again I'm using my laptop to handle the streaming but I'm guessing you could stream right from the NAS to your tv with out issues. I also use that PC to watch Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and much more.

I tried a Roku, Boxee and AppleTV and nothing did "everything". Switched to a dedicated PC with XBMC and the NAS and I will never look back.

Hope that helps some.

I Golf
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page