New to FiOS, IPTV, and HDHomeRun Questions (little long) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may be a little long, but be patient with me since I’m basically new at this. It’s been about 7-8 years since we have had high speed internet (might as well say forever the way technology changes). We built a house out in the country knowing that we wouldn’t have it for a little while. The telephone provider (Embarq/CenturyLink) kept saying that it should only be a few months till we were able to get it, and here we are 7-8 years later. ANYWAYS, our small county telephone/cable company got a grant and is now running fiber throughout the county (FiOS). It should be up and running sometime next summer. I’m now in the process of trying to get our house ready for everything that is coming (telephone/TV/internet package). The telephone is already done and I’m running CAT6 throughout the house. The TV signal will be IPTV, which I don’t know a lot about. I’m running three wires to each TV location (TV signal, game console, and streaming/video box?). I’m also running three extra wires to the home theater for the receiver, TV, and unknown. All wires are run down to the basement to a patch panel where everything will be hooked up. I will also have a dual-band Gigabit wireless router for the wireless signal. We will probably start off with a new desktop computer that will be in the living room (same room as the HT).

Now that you know what’s coming and what the network will be like, here comes the questions. While the package price isn’t bad, ~$100, the extras are ridiculous. They want an extra $9/TV for HD service and $14/TV for DVR service. That will get expensive very quick! My thought was to get a cable card and then use HDHomeRun Prime for the HD/DVR option (using the new computer). I would like for the whole family to share the DVR service, but from what I understand, that would mean that all TVs would need an XBOX360 as an extender. Another problem is that I don’t even know if HDHomeRun Prime will work with IPTV. If it does not, is there another option? I research things to death so any information would be helpful. I’m not sure if it helps or not, but I believe the normal set top box that they use is ADB-3700 series (link below). I’m hoping to have a basic plan by Black Friday in case I need to pick up anything that might be on sale.

http://www.adbglobal.com/products/iptv/adb-3721wn.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know what kind of DVR solution works with IPTV?