streaming 3d iso's, current options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, first post. I have been searching around for a few hours now reading up on the current state of things and trying to familiarize myself with the htpc/media server world.

From what I gather there are few options atm that will let you stream 3d iso's from a file server, 2 of these being the med1000x3d and the upcoming a-400. My question is, what are the restrictions behind all this that has limited one to so few choices?

Can one not just build a sweet pc w a ton of new hardware or is it a software issue.

Sorry for the noobish questions :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 596
You "could" build a "sweet pc w a ton of new hardwaare" but the COST of doing this would probably be over the ~$250 that these two players will\are selling for........Restrictions I believe have to do with the chipsets, and only "recently" have they started to come out to consumer media players in full force.....Also, 3D for media players are not as in demand as they would be for full fledged Blu-ray players or TVs. Youll probably start to see mroe and more players with 3D capabilites, but for msot players it takes about a year of work from start to release from what I see (and maybe even more).....
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
My question is, what are the restrictions behind all this that has limited one to so few choices?
What Ph8te said and Cinavia copy protection. Plus, this is a niche market. There are many Realtek 1186-based 3D streamers, but Mede8er's 1000X3D is best among them. In addition to Syabas' upcoming PCH A-400 (maybe by Friday this week), Dune plans to release several 3D streamers as well (timing unknown). Also, CES will happen in January and we may learn of other offerings (maybe).

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess my next question is, if I already have a spare i3 cpu and mobo, it would prob be a good idea to go ahead and build my own box right? Are there any specific pieces of hardware that are absolutely required for 3d iso streaming or does it boil down to mostly cpu/ram and software. Im guessing gigabit ethernet is a must.

Also what is the "popular" OS and interface to use these days? Plex with Windows 7?

thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If you want 3d iso files Im pretty sure that leaves you with windows and running powerdvd with your iso mounted as a disc, No software I know plays 3d iso files. VLC might you will need an nvidia graphics card to work well with powerdvd
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM

Liked: 11
The problem of course is cinavia. There is no good solution for playing 3D isos with cinavia right now on htpcs with windows or linux.

You can get around cinavia with standalone media players, but my experience with playing 3d isos on both the micca 950 and latest mede8er players have been far from flawless. Besides the little bugs some would not play at all on the mede8er and others would freeze before moving to the next chapter. These were all 3d isos that played fine from disc and were created using dvdfab.

Your best bet right now for 3d isos may be to burn them to disc and buy an older standalone bluray player that does not have firmware that detects cinavia. And play everything else in xbmc on a home built htpc which I think many would agree has the best looking interface.

I have also yet to stream a 3D iso over a network without significant stutters so you might just want to throw that idea out.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 PM

Liked: 11
I have used the Micca EP600 G2 with 3d iso's that have Cinavia and have not had a problem with playback. However I get stutters when I try to stream even when wired. So I connect an external hard drive by USB to the Micca.

Ray
Old 11-17-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I also would like to know which is the best bet when you want 3D Blu-Ray iso playback:

- Micca EP600 G2 (Is this even available in Europe?)
- Popcorn Hour A-400
- Mede8er 1000X3D

EDIT:
What I also need is 'dual-audio output'. With this I mean audio both send over SPDIF (the core DD/DTS signal) and simultanously the lossless DTS-MA/True-HD signal over HDMI). The Dune and Oppo have this 'feauture' for example.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I would take the Micca EP600 G2 out. I don't think it lives up to the comparison of the other two players. I owned it for a few days & sent it back. I would take that new KDLinks Model(I own it) over the Micca, & from what I hear the Mede8er is probably the best 1186 on the market, so I would take it over the KDLinks. Now what really we all really want to know is what is going to be the better of these two:

- Popcorn Hour A-400
- Mede8er 1000X3D

Too early to tell but I think Brajesh will be able to give us his opinion. I have the Popcorn hour on preorder. Hope to get it next week from Diamond.