Media streamer suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going crazy trying to find a streamer for my parents.

They don't want an htpc and have an imac that could do everything over the network wired or wireless but not directly connected to the tv.

I have the movies and tv show files organized to work with xbmc/media center master on an external hdd. I strongly prefer the media player to work without changing the file names or format.

Dune, micca and wd live tv seem to be the best choices but all have their negatives.

Things I want:

Easy to control player that's smart enough to recognize the file format and use the proper settings with either an iphone, tablet, or logitech harmony one
Hdmi pass through for video and surround sound for their 5 speaker (no subwoofer, large towers), to their yamaha 720 receiver
Ability to play any modern file format in 1080p and hopefully cover the near future as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 49
A place to start. It's my blog, and I wrote the article to help as questions like yours get asked here often. But, the 'best' solution will be specific to your needs.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
See the Pivos XIOS it's an XBMC set top box, but it is still in beta so it's not currently ideal for parents but should be when things settle down.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx for the feedback. I now like the mede8r, popcorn and dune. Seems like the more you read the harder it gets to choose.

The pivos looks very nice as well and possibly what I prefer but I'll need to make sure I can set everything up for an easy experience for them.

I can't tell if it will do audio pass through? I may be missing something on my nexus 7 browsing so will check it out later.

I tried very hard to get an htpc and use jriver, which is my preferred media player, but for some reason they refuse...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page