Mede8er MED600X3D new 3D version to 2013 - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 851 Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a MED400X which has one feature which is indispensable for me: fast forward with audio. I mainly watch DVB TS streams with embedded subtitles, and mkv with embedded or external srt subtitles. The MED400X will display DVB TS subtitles while fast forwarding with audio at 1.5x and 2x, however it does not display srt subtitles when fast forwarding.

Does the MED600X3D still support this functionality? And does it also work with srt subtitles? Just having this feature for srt subtitles would be enough to make me upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 851 Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 PM

Hello,

I do apologize for jumping in on this thread with a new question but I've come to the point of near hopelessness as far as finding out if my desired set-up will work well with this device. I don't have the device yet - I just received an Amazon Fire TV today through their 30-day trial program and will be testing that with XBMC and Plex though the lack of real VC-1, Mpeg-2, and HD-Audio codec support are almost certainly going to result in it getting sent back. I am going to go to Best Buy on Saturday and purchase a WD TV Live SMP and test that with my desired set-up as well. Ideally I would have one of these (MED600X3) in hand to compare the three, but the difficulty in acquiring one has led me to ask if you all think I would have luck with what I want to do. 

So, here is what I would like to do:

- I have a TB WD My Book 4TB  USB 3.0 (Model WDBFJK0040HBK-EESN) which I confirmed here will work with this device.

- I would like to copy all of my media files that I currently have directly to the drive from my computer through USB to start. Then, I want to simply hook up the hard drive via USB to the MED600X3 and, as I acquire more movie rips, copy them over the network to the hard drive. 

- I intend to keep the MED600X3 wired via gigabit ethernet directly to my router, and can do the same for my computer if needed, though I would prefer to keep my PC wireless if possible as it's only purpose in this set-up will be copying new media files to the WD My Book drive via the network.

- I just want to be able to browse my files via the USB connected drive and play them in a way that won't have stuttering, audio drops, etc. It seems as though USB connection is the safest way to ensure this. I'd really like to also customize the GUI and benefit from the scrapers, etc., to make an aesthetically pleasing experience, but I assume I will be able to do this regardless of my intended set up.

My main concerns are:

- Does the MED600X3 effectively turn a USB connected drive into one that can be seen on the network? If so, what steps do I need to take in order to be able to copy files from my PC to the drive with it attached to the MED600X3? Are there any further considerations given that I want to use the scrapers to add metadata (the need to grant Write capabilities, rather than just Read, for example)?

- Can I use the 4 TB WD My Book for purposes other than just a media host if I have it connected to the MED600X3? Ideally I'd like to use part of the space to simply back up my computer, though this isn't a dealbreaker.

Thank you very, very much in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

post #843 of 851 Old 05-30-2014, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleydough View Post

My main concerns are:

- Does the MED600X3 effectively turn a USB connected drive into one that can be seen on the network? If so, what steps do I need to take in order to be able to copy files from my PC to the drive with it attached to the MED600X3? Are there any further considerations given that I want to use the scrapers to add metadata (the need to grant Write capabilities, rather than just Read, for example)?

- Can I use the 4 TB WD My Book for purposes other than just a media host if I have it connected to the MED600X3? Ideally I'd like to use part of the space to simply back up my computer, though this isn't a dealbreaker.

Thank you very, very much in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

The Mede8er does NOT share the USB Hard Drive on the network so that will not work as you would like it to. Some people connect their Hard Drive to their Router and share it out that way. I've heard that works very well and would allow you (depending on the router) to still access the hard drive by all of your devices and not have it dedicated to your Mede8er.

If you want to user the Mede8er built in Scrapper App you will need to give it "Write" Access to your folders as it will place all of the data in each individual folder which is good as it saves time when you rescan the folders.

I don't really know about customizing the skins of the Mede8er but do know that there are different skins available. I am thrilled with mine and trust me when I say that I've tried just about every player out there with the exception of a Popcorn Hour (which is no longer available in the US at least for the time being) and a Dune which was just a little too much for me.

post #844 of 851 Old 05-30-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

The Mede8er does NOT share the USB Hard Drive on the network so that will not work as you would like it to. Some people connect their Hard Drive to their Router and share it out that way. I've heard that works very well and would allow you (depending on the router) to still access the hard drive by all of your devices and not have it dedicated to your Mede8er.

If you want to user the Mede8er built in Scrapper App you will need to give it "Write" Access to your folders as it will place all of the data in each individual folder which is good as it saves time when you rescan the folders.

I don't really know about customizing the skins of the Mede8er but do know that there are different skins available. I am thrilled with mine and trust me when I say that I've tried just about every player out there with the exception of a Popcorn Hour (which is no longer available in the US at least for the time being) and a Dune which was just a little too much for me.

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate you saving me the surprise of failing to connect the hard drive that way.

That's more or less what I was thinking I'd need to do as far as "Write" access goes, and I'm sure if I'm having trouble doing that I can find an answer here or on the Mede8er forums once I get my hands on the device.

It's comments like your final one that have me reluctant to "settle" for a WD TV Live over this device which, aside from its nearly as impressive file support (I only have MKV full-bitrate rips), is seemingly an inferior device. I'm particularly concerned with the WD TV Live's supposedly sluggish UI and to a lesser extent, lack of Full 3D Support. 

For those with the MED600X3D, is the most common means of playing files by streaming them via ethernet from a NAS to the device? I do not have a NAS, so the closest thing I could do to this would be to leave my computer running at all times. This certainly isn't ideal, so I will likely try the router option first. 

Can anyone weigh in on their experiences sharing files from a router-connected hard drive to the Mede8er? In particular, is there anything unique about the configuration process that a generic "Connect hard drive to router via USB" tutorial wouldn't tell me? And, assuming my network is indeed at gigabit speeds, should this experience be stutter free regardless of the movie files I throw at it?

Thanks again for your help.

post #845 of 851 Old 05-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate you saving me the surprise of failing to connect the hard drive that way.

That's more or less what I was thinking I'd need to do as far as "Write" access goes, and I'm sure if I'm having trouble doing that I can find an answer here or on the Mede8er forums once I get my hands on the device.

It's comments like your final one that have me reluctant to "settle" for a WD TV Live over this device which, aside from its nearly as impressive file support (I only have MKV full-bitrate rips), is seemingly an inferior device. I'm particularly concerned with the WD TV Live's supposedly sluggish UI and to a lesser extent, lack of Full 3D Support. 

For those with the MED600X3D, is the most common means of playing files by streaming them via ethernet from a NAS to the device? I do not have a NAS, so the closest thing I could do to this would be to leave my computer running at all times. This certainly isn't ideal, so I will likely try the router option first. 

Can anyone weigh in on their experiences sharing files from a router-connected hard drive to the Mede8er? In particular, is there anything unique about the configuration process that a generic "Connect hard drive to router via USB" tutorial wouldn't tell me? And, assuming my network is indeed at gigabit speeds, should this experience be stutter free regardless of the movie files I throw at it?

Of course my opinions are just that and subjective, I have a WD TV Live sitting here that I used for about 1 hours before ordering my Mede8er but there are people out there that absolutely love them.

That said I am using Full Bit Rate MKV Files as well as some older files that are in the VOB Format and don't have any problems with playback at all. Keep in mind that I do not do anything in 3D So I can not comment on that aspect of the Mede8er at all. I am sure others can / will. I know that the Mede8er supports is but have seen people talk about an occasional issue?

As for my set up I have a very old RAID Box that I am slowing migrating away from to a new Synology RAID which I absolutely love but know that is a very expensive option for most people. That said any USB 2, USB 3, 100Meg / 1Gig connection will certainly handle anywhere from a few streams to several simultaneous streams.

Do you leave you PC on all the time? If so you could connect your Hard Drive to you PC and share it out on the network so you can access it from the PC as well as anything else on the network. If you don't leave it on then I would try connecting it to the Router and see how that works. Again something I don't do but know many people here do it that way for many applications.

post #846 of 851 Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I have the MED800 and I stream from computer without issue. I'm not connected by router though, but hard wired to an 8 port gigabyte switch. My router hooks into the switch simply to deliver internet and to supply wifi for my hand held devices. As far as I'm concerned, it's better than NAS (more control). My computer stays on 24/7. I do allow it to sleep though and activate it through "wake on LAN"

I have a HDD connected to my 800 and I also have a Boxee box upstairs with a usb HDD, and a WDTV downstairs with a usb HDD as well. All drives can be accessed and shared easily by all devices without issue. The WDtv live does have some stutter issues on full sized rips the odd time, but that's the wd itself and not the network
post #847 of 851 Old 05-30-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

I have the MED800 and I stream from computer without issue. I'm not connected by router though, but hard wired to an 8 port gigabyte switch. My router hooks into the switch simply to deliver internet and to supply wifi for my hand held devices. As far as I'm concerned, it's better than NAS (more control). My computer stays on 24/7. I do allow it to sleep though and activate it through "wake on LAN"

I have a HDD connected to my 800 and I also have a Boxee box upstairs with a usb HDD, and a WDTV downstairs with a usb HDD as well. All drives can be accessed and shared easily by all devices without issue. The WDtv live does have some stutter issues on full sized rips the odd time, but that's the wd itself and not the network

Quote:

Of course my opinions are just that and subjective, I have a WD TV Live sitting here that I used for about 1 hours before ordering my Mede8er but there are people out there that absolutely love them.

That said I am using Full Bit Rate MKV Files as well as some older files that are in the VOB Format and don't have any problems with playback at all. Keep in mind that I do not do anything in 3D So I can not comment on that aspect of the Mede8er at all. I am sure others can / will. I know that the Mede8er supports is but have seen people talk about an occasional issue?

As for my set up I have a very old RAID Box that I am slowing migrating away from to a new Synology RAID which I absolutely love but know that is a very expensive option for most people. That said any USB 2, USB 3, 100Meg / 1Gig connection will certainly handle anywhere from a few streams to several simultaneous streams.

Do you leave you PC on all the time? If so you could connect your Hard Drive to you PC and share it out on the network so you can access it from the PC as well as anything else on the network. If you don't leave it on then I would try connecting it to the Router and see how that works. Again something I don't do but know many people here do it that way for many applications.

Thank you both for your responses. It's helpful to see how different set-ups are working for different people. I'm currently sitting here with my Amazon Fire TV and am, without surprise, not so happy with it for my purposes. It is incredibly fast and runs XBMC wonderfully, but that doesn't change that it can't play HD audio tracks or 3D, I also just don't have much faith in it as far as full bitrate rips are concerned - I don't want to have to worry about my device playing files back correctly or not. I hadn't heard about "wake on LAN" - seems like a great power saving option. 

I don't typically leave my PC on all time as it is a laptop but I am okay doing this if it means getting the best performance out of my media box. I'm going to pick up a WD TV Live this weekend to test, but your comment about it stuttering with full bitrate files definitely has me concerned. Part of me wants to just say forget it altogether and get the Mede8er. I'm just hesitant because of the price and the presumed inability to return the device if things go sour. It sounds like both of you have used the WD TV Live as well - is the UI much faster on the Mede8er?

post #848 of 851 Old 05-31-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:

Thank you both for your responses. It's helpful to see how different set-ups are working for different people. I'm currently sitting here with my Amazon Fire TV and am, without surprise, not so happy with it for my purposes. It is incredibly fast and runs XBMC wonderfully, but that doesn't change that it can't play HD audio tracks or 3D, I also just don't have much faith in it as far as full bitrate rips are concerned - I don't want to have to worry about my device playing files back correctly or not. I hadn't heard about "wake on LAN" - seems like a great power saving option. 

I don't typically leave my PC on all time as it is a laptop but I am okay doing this if it means getting the best performance out of my media box. I'm going to pick up a WD TV Live this weekend to test, but your comment about it stuttering with full bitrate files definitely has me concerned. Part of me wants to just say forget it altogether and get the Mede8er. I'm just hesitant because of the price and the presumed inability to return the device if things go sour. It sounds like both of you have used the WD TV Live as well - is the UI much faster on the Mede8er?

I am going to assume you are in the US, if so contact Media Concept (the US Distributor) and check on their return policy. My first Mede8er arrived with a dead USB Port which prevented me from upgrading the Firmware. Media Concept was great about the return and shipping me out another unit ASAP. I believe their return policy does NOT have a restocking fee unless you return it in a condition that is not "like new" / able to be resold. Personally I think the Mede8er is head and shoulders above the rest of the units I've tried. As I said I have a WD TV Live sitting in the box gathering dust.

Also "WOL" which is know as Wake On LAN does not just work when something tries to access the device, it requires a special packet to be sent to the device for it to power on. This is not something that is usually supported (the wake packet / request) by every day devices. I would try directly connected to the Router First and see how it works then if worst comes to worst you can connect the USB Drive to your Mede8er and remove it to copy new content if you don't want to leave you laptop on all the time.

post #849 of 851 Old 05-31-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also "WOL" which is know as Wake On LAN does not just work when something tries to access the device, it requires a special packet to be sent to the device for it to power on. This is not something that is usually supported (the wake packet / request) by every day devices. I would try directly connected to the Router First and see how it works then if worst comes to worst you can connect the USB Drive to your Mede8er and remove it to copy new content if you don't want to leave you laptop on all the time.

true, but if you're running windows then wake on lan is there, and it works fine. The MED keeps a list of all devices on the network and you check the devices (including multiple computers) you wish to wake when you boot up or hit the manual WOL switch (I hit the manual WOL switch because the MED stays on all the time) The other devices on my network (WD TV and Boxxe) I just leave on all the time. They don't drink enough power to worry about. I have both my main computer and kitchen computer set for WOL and the med can wake them both. As for the other devices.... as long as you can access the MED then you can trigger a WOL through it.

Once again, all drives (internal, network, and usb) are seen on my main desktop as well as all other devices. I can edit cover art on a usb drive upstairs from my main computer on the main floor, or watch a movie from the usb drive downstairs on the MED on the main floor.... etc. Personally I think it's outdoes NAS. There is much more flexibility. The only disadvantage is that writing to a network drive tends to be much slower. For this reason the drives that I run on the network are all full and there is no real need to do any serious writing to them. I'm just reading from them.

The MED software as compared to the WD is more detailed. The MED has scrape abilities and you can also edit the scrapes much easier with the med. The WD software is pretty simplistic and limited by comparison. But they both have their little glitches and temper tantrums every now and then and you have to reboot to clear them
post #850 of 851 Old 05-31-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

true, but if you're running windows then wake on lan is there, and it works fine. The MED keeps a list of all devices on the network and you check the devices (including multiple computers) you wish to wake when you boot up or hit the manual WOL switch (I hit the manual WOL switch because the MED stays on all the time) The other devices on my network (WD TV and Boxxe) I just leave on all the time. They don't drink enough power to worry about. I have both my main computer and kitchen computer set for WOL and the med can wake them both. As for the other devices.... as long as you can access the MED then you can trigger a WOL through it.

Once again, all drives (internal, network, and usb) are seen on my main desktop as well as all other devices. I can edit cover art on a usb drive upstairs from my main computer on the main floor, or watch a movie from the usb drive downstairs on the MED on the main floor.... etc. Personally I think it's outdoes NAS. There is much more flexibility. The only disadvantage is that writing to a network drive tends to be much slower. For this reason the drives that I run on the network are all full and there is no real need to do any serious writing to them. I'm just reading from them.

The MED software as compared to the WD is more detailed. Scraping is easier and faster. You can also edit the scrapes much easier with the med. The WD software is pretty simplistic and limited by comparison. But they both have their little glitches and temper tantrums every now and then and you have to reboot to clear them

Quote:

I am going to assume you are in the US, if so contact Media Concept (the US Distributor) and check on their return policy. My first Mede8er arrived with a dead USB Port which prevented me from upgrading the Firmware. Media Concept was great about the return and shipping me out another unit ASAP. I believe their return policy does NOT have a restocking fee unless you return it in a condition that is not "like new" / able to be resold. Personally I think the Mede8er is head and shoulders above the rest of the units I've tried. As I said I have a WD TV Live sitting in the box gathering dust.

You both deserve credit for selling this thing well, potential set-up caveats aside, consider me fully interested. As it turns out my router (supplied by Comcast) has a USB port that is completely non-functional, so I don't think that will work for me. I looked at switches to see if any might have USB ports and my research has lead me to believe that such a thing doesn't exist. In an effort to keep costs in check, I'd like to avoid buying another router to use for now, especially because the one Comcast gave us works very well for all other purposes.

It seems like my options are "WOL", leave the PC on all the time, or manually reconnect my hard drive to my PC each time I want to add a new file. I'd really like to avoid this last option as it kind of defeats any convenience in the process. 

Thanks for the comparison of the software. There are so few reviews for the Mede8er out there that it's hard to really grasp how quickly/well everything works. I'm going to go get a WD TV Live today and fiddle with it to see if it meets my needs. 

Bigbarney, you mentioned earlier that your WD TV struggles from time to time with full bitrate rips. Have you had any luck pinpointing the cause of the stuttering such as a specific maximum bitrate, codec and bitrate combo, etc.? I'd like to push the device as hard as possible while in my return window to see if it will stand up to anything I throw at it.

Thanks again to the both of you.

post #851 of 851 Old 05-31-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You both deserve credit for selling this thing well, potential set-up caveats aside, consider me fully interested.

Well, I'm not really "selling" the MED. I simply think it's the best plugNplay solution right now. Personally speaking I think the Boxee box WAS the best and had dlink kept it around and up to date, it would knock the socks off of everything else about now.

Quote:
Bigbarney, you mentioned earlier that your WD TV struggles from time to time with full bitrate rips. Have you had any luck pinpointing the cause of the stuttering such as a specific maximum bitrate,
No. I know it's not the network because the med has no issues on the same system. I just assume it's the wd and have never investigated further. With MED as the main streamer, I have no real need to perfect the wd operations.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page