Mede8er MED600X3D new 3D version to 2013 - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 900 Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
IF I want to watch trailers every, EVERY, single DVD or Bluray I own has trailers on them. I can just as easily archive those as I can the main movie.

The reason I use a media server in the first place is so as cut out all that crap and be able to enjoy JUST the movie.

Every piece of software out there that archives owned media has a way to archive said trailers.

There is no reason Youtube is needed to watch trailers.

Since Youtube is not needed to watch trailers if one owns the actual media being archived that leads me to two possible reasons for this trailer push.

One is as I've already stated, caters to people who don't actually own the media dwelling on their media storage devices.

Two is marketing. Both marketing for the X3D, "Our player plays trailers from..." sales job AND marketing from the Google-Youtube side of the equation as it pushes these trailers out to people's media playback devices.

As a feature the time it is taking to implement makes me lean more towards the marketing and pushing stuff from Google side of the thing.

Too bad Mede8er has decided to spend the resources to do this kind of feature but is leaving some other stuff unattended, like sub-titles that do not display correctly.

As for the personal opinions directed towards me, imagine that......

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 900 Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
I noticed in your other post you say you don't need 3D. You could try out the WD Live SMP as it's a bit cheaper and can be typically found locally. I bought the Mede8er before the WD started supporting DTS-HD MA codec or else I would have tried them out first as well. I've seen another member, Kelson I believe, suggest it a number of times when 3D isn't desired.

It doesn't look like the WD Live SMP supports full BD menus either. I may have to get the Dune Smart D1, maybe this is the only one left that does?

-Tom
post #873 of 900 Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

" I have to encode my rips in SBS or TAB and manually switch my projector into 3D mode"

I did the same with my lowly Pivos AIOS. It just passed through the video as it was encoded. I had to switch the TV manually as you noted. But it did work. One of the AIOS support folks suggested it and it worked.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #874 of 900 Old 08-03-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
It doesn't look like the WD Live SMP supports full BD menus either. I may have to get the Dune Smart D1, maybe this is the only one left that does?
My understanding is none of the newer players support full BD Menu's due to it being necessary to include cinavia. I don't follow the Dune line of players but I'm sure their newer players also fall into this. The Smart D1 has been around for awhile so probably why it supports it as you say. Sooner or later though you will be faced with their obsolescence unless the D1 outlives your lifetime or interest in this hobby.
post #875 of 900 Old 08-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
IF I want to watch trailers every, EVERY, single DVD or Bluray I own has trailers on them. I can just as easily archive those as I can the main movie.

The reason I use a media server in the first place is so as cut out all that crap and be able to enjoy JUST the movie.
Yes they all have trailers but trailers for other movies and not the one for the movie on the disc. So you think people are going to rip all these trailers and store them just in case they decide they actually want the movie some point in the future? Do you know what trailer(s) are on every DVD or Blu-ray you own? Are you going to go back and watch all of them to see if you can find the one you want/need for your particular movies?

Like I said in my original post, I would like to be able download the trailer to my server and access vs. youtube. This current way of thinking on your part is actually better than your original idea. Still a time consuming task that I don't see myself doing but to each his own. It would be easier to download the trailer than go through hundreds of discs for the slight chance it might be on one of them.
post #876 of 900 Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Yes they all have trailers but trailers for other movies and not the one for the movie on the disc. So you think people are going to rip all these trailers and store them just in case they decide they actually want the movie some point in the future? Do you know what trailer(s) are on every DVD or Blu-ray you own? Are you going to go back and watch all of them to see if you can find the one you want/need for your particular movies?

Like I said in my original post, I would like to be able download the trailer to my server and access vs. youtube. This current way of thinking on your part is actually better than your original idea. Still a time consuming task that I don't see myself doing but to each his own. It would be easier to download the trailer than go through hundreds of discs for the slight chance it might be on one of them.
10Muse jukebox has an option to download trailers of the movie(s). It's pretty neat, but a waste of time for me.

I agree with your comment as well.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #877 of 900 Old 08-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
10Muse jukebox has an option to download trailers of the movie(s). It's pretty neat, but a waste of time for me.
Looks like an easy alternative to downloading one at a time. I see it only supports certain players but guessing you could use it to get the trailers and exclude/delete everything else.
post #878 of 900 Old 08-03-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
My understanding is none of the newer players support full BD Menu's due to it being necessary to include cinavia. I don't follow the Dune line of players but I'm sure their newer players also fall into this. The Smart D1 has been around for awhile so probably why it supports it as you say. Sooner or later though you will be faced with their obsolescence unless the D1 outlives your lifetime or interest in this hobby.
Yes, it looks like the Smart D1 is still available brand new with the grandfathered in full BD menu support. It seems to be more money than it originally was though, $359.

-Tom
post #879 of 900 Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 PM

Wow that's a hefty premium, but if it's worth it to you then that's all that matters.
post #880 of 900 Old 08-04-2014, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Like I said in my original post, I would like to be able download the trailer to my server and access vs. youtube.

That is something being developed

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.ph...c,14822.0.html

But it has to work via the current URL link system developed for Youtube.
post #881 of 900 Old 08-04-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Anyone able to help please?

I have the MED600X3D. It has FW V3.0.2 installed and boot loader IAIE.0402.0065.

It it working fine, but I want to update the FW to the latest which is v3.0.7Beta. To do this I need first to install v2 of the boot loader as far as I can tell. The boot loader version should be KIIE.0402.0065. I have downloaded the BL and the FW and unzipped the BL to a USB drive, to the root folder, as requested. I then follow the Emergency Procedure to install the BL, which is to remove the power, reinstall the power and hold down the On/Off button for 20 seconds. I then release the On/Off button as directed and... nothing. What is supposed to happen is that the On/Off blue LED flashes and the install proceeds, but nothing at all happens here.

I cannot update the FW until I have updated the BL so I am currently stuck. I removed power and rebooted the unit and it is still working fine but on the old BL and FWQ of course.

Anyone any ideas? Thanks.
post #882 of 900 Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you're already running fw 3.0.2, then you have the latest bootloader. Are you not able to update to 3.0.7 using the emergency procedure? I remember a post on the Mede8er forum from a while back where someone had just received a new box with bootloader IAIE instead of KIIE, and I believe he had to send the unit back. I could be wrong, though. Best to check with support staff on the official forum.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #883 of 900 Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Every piece of software out there that archives owned media has a way to archive said trailers.

There is no reason Youtube is needed to watch trailers.

Since Youtube is not needed to watch trailers if one owns the actual media being archived that leads me to two possible reasons for this trailer push.

One is as I've already stated, caters to people who don't actually own the media dwelling on their media storage devices.

Two is marketing. Both marketing for the X3D, "Our player plays trailers from..." sales job AND marketing from the Google-Youtube side of the equation as it pushes these trailers out to people's media playback devices.

As a feature the time it is taking to implement makes me lean more towards the marketing and pushing stuff from Google side of the thing.

Too bad Mede8er has decided to spend the resources to do this kind of feature but is leaving some other stuff unattended, like sub-titles that do not display correctly.

As for the personal opinions directed towards me, imagine that......
While I see where you are coming from. Trust me I never understood the whole trailer thing either. But its been around for ages. People want the trailer to the movie they are about to watch not a random trailer most of the time. I think some people use it as a way to decide what to watch. They dont necessarily want the trailer to play before the movie starts but a way to see what the movie is like. More like a movie party feature " like hey what is that movie about lets watch the trailer"

Now with that note I know of people that want random trailers as well as them old school grab your popcorn and snack type intro movies before there movie so its more like a drive in. YAMJ added youtube trailer playing back in 2012 some people used it.

Last edited by halfelite; 08-04-2014 at 01:21 PM.
post #884 of 900 Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER1956 View Post
That is something being developed

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.ph...c,14822.0.html

But it has to work via the current URL link system developed for Youtube.
Looks like the squeaky wheel on the forum just got a little grease.
post #885 of 900 Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
People want the trailer to the movie they are about to watch not a random trailer most of the time. I think some people use it as a way to decide what to watch.
Absolutely.
I have well over 600 movies on HDD now. Some of which I haven't seen in a few years. It's nice to have a quick refresher on hand to be reminded of what the movie is all about. Many movies my wife, kids, and friends haven't seen. It's good to have trailers so you can decide what you want to watch.

As for "wasting resources" trying to figure out how to include trailers.... the now discontinued Boxee Box has had trailer abilities for YEARS now. This is a resource that SHOULD have been worked out some time ago.
post #886 of 900 Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have never seen a movie trailer on the movie in question included on the Blu Ray, so do you not know what you're talking about or is there something I'm missing?

Quote:
By your logic then, I guess everybody who uses the included movie scraper is pirating movies? You have the Blu Ray. You can scan the cover and the description and include that when you rip.... right

Quote:
Who says they're leaving things unattended? Is there any proof of this or are you just making things up?
Personally speaking, I like options. I don't know too many people that don't. An option-rich platform is what people want. XBMC is a good example of that.
post #887 of 900 Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
If you're already running fw 3.0.2, then you have the latest bootloader. Are you not able to update to 3.0.7 using the emergency procedure? I remember a post on the Mede8er forum from a while back where someone had just received a new box with bootloader IAIE instead of KIIE, and I believe he had to send the unit back. I could be wrong, though. Best to check with support staff on the official forum.
Thanks. The emergency procedure is what I was trying but it doesn’t work for the BL or the FW. It seems odd that if KIIE is needed for v3 of the FW that my unit came with IAIE and v 3.0.2 of the FW. I will see if the support people can help with that - thanks.
post #888 of 900 Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
Yes, it looks like the Smart D1 is still available brand new with the grandfathered in full BD menu support. It seems to be more money than it originally was though, $359.
Yes, all the Dune Smart Series support FULL BD menus. I've got a D1, which I'm going to sell since I want to build an HTPC. I want to either sell it or trade it for an Intel NUC. It will be in the classifies.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #889 of 900 Old 08-06-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Yes, all the Dune Smart Series support FULL BD menus. I've got a D1, which I'm going to sell since I want to build an HTPC. I want to either sell it or trade it for an Intel NUC. It will be in the classifies.
I ordered a D1 Monday, it shipped the same day and FedEx shows it arriving today! I installed My Movies so will try it out with the D1. I look forward to comparing it to my NTV550.

-Tom
post #890 of 900 Old 08-11-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

WoW!

Just loving this new trailer feature, and they have implemented it quite well. You don't have to redo all of your xml files because they have an "ADD TRAILERS" button which automatically edits each of the xml files on a batch level. Just highlight your drive and hit the button (or highlight jukebox+ if you want to do it all in one jump). It even works with your custom movie sheets. It doesn't disturb them at all, just simply adds the 'view trailer' button.

I was quite disappointed when I went from boxee box to mede8or because of the sad lack of a trailer feature... but not anymore!
post #891 of 900 Old 08-11-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I will admit that originally I didn't think that I would like or care about trailers but Plex just added the same feature (kind of a coincidence huh) and I love it especially since it just adds them auto-magically once you do a refresh. I am looking forward to upgrading my Mede8er and getting them on there as well.
post #892 of 900 Old 08-11-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The trailers are great for quick 'refreshers'. I have probably a little over 1000 movies now and I can't for the life of me remember them all. A really great feature, and I can't believe how easily they made it fit in, and update.
post #893 of 900 Old 08-12-2014, 02:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quick update to my earlier problem wrt to FW updating the unit.

After working with Larry at Mede8er (thanks Larry!) and trying a different unit which exhibited the same problems, the answer was that there was nothing wrong with the unit. The problem was that the USB stick I was using to attempt the FW update was formatted with ex-FAT and this is not recognised by the unit for the upgrade process, even though the drive is read without problems by the unit. Reformatting the USB drive with FAT32 and then attempting the upgrade again, worked perfectly. And this is with the 'old' Bootloader version beginning IAEE....

So all is well and Mede8er have added an instruction to their FW update pages on their site to the effect of always using a FAT32 formatted USB drive when attempting a FW upgrade.

Great support from Mede8er - great product, happy customer.
StratmanX likes this.
post #894 of 900 Old 08-13-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

"I can't believe how easily they made it fit in, and update."

Really? Cause it seems to me folks are having issues.

post #895 of 900 Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Really? Cause it seems to me folks are having issues.
I can't go on what others are experiencing, only what I am, and it has worked flawlessly thus far. No complaints at all. It works as advertised.
post #896 of 900 Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Is anyone using Yadis that can help me? I can get the jukebox to pull up and also the detailed info shows up when I click on the movie but it will not play the movie. I am using network to play the files. I have my computer hooked up to the network and and pulling the movies from my computer. Here are the setting I have for yadis and Yadis2Mede8er. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

War Eagle!
post #897 of 900 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Got trashed both here and on Mede8er's forum for my opinion regarding using locally stored trailers. Easier, don't depend on Google, etc. But got trashed.

Newest firmware indicates someone doing the FW engineering must've agreed. New feature for trailers is to be able to use local storage.

Nice.

Glad to see the feature not being tied to Google.

Looks like the "How to" still needs a little work. But trailers being viewed from local storage is being implemented.

It just really annoys some folks to no end too when I'm right.

post #898 of 900 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Got trashed both here and on Mede8er's forum for my opinion regarding using locally stored trailers. Easier, don't depend on Google, etc. But got trashed.
I thought you were "trashed" over your idea to make your own trailers from your disks, not where the trailers were stored.

Last edited by StratmanX; Yesterday at 02:20 PM.
post #899 of 900 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post
I thought you were "trashed" over your idea to make your own trailers from your disks, not where the trailers were stored.
Don't try to confuse the issue with the facts.
post #900 of 900 Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Newest firmware indicates someone doing the FW engineering must've agreed. New feature for trailers is to be able to use local storage.

Nice.

Glad to see the feature not being tied to Google.

Looks like the "How to" still needs a little work. But trailers being viewed from local storage is being implemented.

It just really annoys some folks to no end too when I'm right.
Right about what exactly?
More features? Not sure how anybody can lose with more features. Use google or local trailers Take your pick. I welcome it. Who says we can't have our cake and eat it too?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page