Mede8er MED600X3D new 3D version to 2013 - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #901 of 932 Old 08-31-2014, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if i pick up a 600 or 800 am i able to add my own wifi card to it? does anyone know what kind the factory version is (realtek, atheros, etc etc? i have a box full of wifi cards here (i do pc repair and warr work) and would love to be able to just use one i have sitting here?

is the 600 or 800 still up at the top or is there anything newer that is better? i had planned on buying one a few months back and had other stuff come up and want to get one this coming month. wondering if these are still good choices if buying now? i actually returned a kdlinks model because it just did not work right and i got no where with their support.

appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 932 Old 08-31-2014, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezman View Post
if i pick up a 600 or 800 am i able to add my own wifi card to it? does anyone know what kind the factory version is (realtek, atheros, etc etc? i have a box full of wifi cards here (i do pc repair and warr work) and would love to be able to just use one i have sitting here?

is the 600 or 800 still up at the top or is there anything newer that is better? i had planned on buying one a few months back and had other stuff come up and want to get one this coming month. wondering if these are still good choices if buying now? i actually returned a kdlinks model because it just did not work right and i got no where with their support.

appreciate the help!
The MED600, 800 and 1000x3D are the current models. The only difference between them is that the 800 and 1000 can take an internal hard drive. The 800 has a removable sled and also a fan where the 1000 has a fanless / spaceship design.

The Mede8er x3D Models support both internal and external WIFI and according to the US Distributors website you can buy the internal card as an "Accessory"

http://www.mediaconceptusa.com/accessories.html

According to the Manual it only supports the Mede8er Wireless Dongle MED10WFB. (Other brands will not work).

I still highly recommend the Mede8er Players since you can't get the Popcorn Hours in the US anymore and Dune seems to be fading away as well, I've had great luck with their support when I got a unit that wasn't quite right out of the box and their forum is also great for any other questions you might have.
post #903 of 932 Old 08-31-2014, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
so is anyone one of the three better then the others? how well does the fanless design work in the 1000 i like the ease of swapping drives but i do like the looks of the 800 better. and is the 800 or 1000 due to the internal drive and faster overall or have less issues with playback vs the external drive?

edit: looks like many different usb dongles work just fine. im really interested about finding out the model on the sticker of the pcie card (not mede8er model but the oem model number)

edit again: found the info. the card is just a rtl8188ce (non bluetooth version) and a few other tested rtl cards work as well. nice i have a bunch of those here and ill experiment with a couple ac cards i have (i doubt they will work because it seems this will only work with all realtek chips overall but worth a shot)

thanks again!!

Last edited by thezman; 08-31-2014 at 02:41 AM.
post #904 of 932 Old 09-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So what is the picture quality performance of this device in comparison to the Dune? I have never used a Realtek based device, so I am very curious.
post #905 of 932 Old 09-17-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
So what is the picture quality performance of this device in comparison to the Dune? I have never used a Realtek based device, so I am very curious.
I have a Dune Base3D and the Mede8er 600X3D. I may do a comparison one day, but as far as I can tell, 1to1 BR rips are pretty much identical on both.

Looky here!
post #906 of 932 Old 11-19-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Will this player be able to play my media off of 2x 4TB My Book external hard drives connected to it directly by USB?
post #907 of 932 Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some of you are using a med8er mediaplayer with receiver Denon X5200???

RMerlano
NewBie on AV Systems....
post #908 of 932 Old 11-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myst4ry View Post
Will this player be able to play my media off of 2x 4TB My Book external hard drives connected to it directly by USB?
Shouldn't be an issue with the newer / newest firmware
post #909 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 AM

Liked: 11
A couple of quick notes about the MED600X3D to anyone in my situation considering a change. I came from a WD TV Live SMP, and the transition has been both good and bad. My primary use for the player is streaming uncompressed blu-ray rips over the network. I imagine there are lots of folks out there who were in my situation - wanting to stream high-bandwidth content over a network, tired of the WD's many quirks, and unwilling to spend several hundred bucks on a dedicated HTPC setup.

Good
-Menus and interfaces are much faster. The WD would constantly lag and trip all over itself trying to hop around the GUI - especially when dealing with network shares. God help you if you have a couple hundred blu-ray rips with movie sheets that need to be displayed - it would take 5 to 10 seconds just to "draw" each screen of 6 or 7 movies thumbnails. The Mede8er is nice and snappy, with no discernible delays.
-It passes through full HD audio tracks just fine. As I understand, not many set-top media players on the market can do this.

Bad
-As I mentioned, I have blu-ray mkv rips shared on my network. They are full 1080p with HD audio and no compression - about 20 to 35GB each. They're on HDD's connected to a Time Capsule's USB port, and shared over the network. The TC is a fast, current 802.11AC model. It's all hard-wired with Cat6 cable running at Gbit speed - including the Mede8er. To its credit, the Mede8er sees the shares just fine, and never has any trouble recognizing them (unlike the WD, which sometimes needed a restart and other "tweaking" just to re-recognize already-existing shares).
---however---
Using this setup, I get brief stuttering/hiccups in both audio and video every 45 to 60 seconds. On the Mede8er forum, I've been told that since the X3D was optimized for 3D streaming, they had to emphasize/tweak NFS sharing, which somehow compromised SMB performance. Apparently this is what's causing my issue. I've confirmed this by hooking up the drives by USB to the Mede8er, and all media plays perfectly. So it must be a network speed issue, which is absolutely baffling since it's all hardwired Gbit ethernet. I've tried new cables, etc. When doing file transfers across the ethernet from those media HDD's I achieve speeds that should be many times higher than necessary for blu-ray streaming.
-I understand that a Time Capsule isn't a dedicated NAS and won't perform as well. But, here's the kicker - the WD did just fine (once the movies started playing) in this setup. And, it costs half as much as the Mede8er, and it only had 100mb ethernet. That makes me wonder how the Mede8er folks somehow degraded SMB performance so badly that it can't even stream blu-rays over a full Gbit hardwired network.

So, just a heads up. If you're looking to stream uncompressed blu-ray content over a SMB share to your Mede8er, expect to have issues. If you connect your content via USB, you'll be fine.
turls likes this.
post #910 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 09:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
A couple of quick notes about the MED600X3D to anyone in my situation considering a change. I came from a WD TV Live SMP, and the transition has been both good and bad. My primary use for the player is streaming uncompressed blu-ray rips over the network. I imagine there are lots of folks out there who were in my situation - wanting to stream high-bandwidth content over a network, tired of the WD's many quirks, and unwilling to spend several hundred bucks on a dedicated HTPC setup.

Good
-Menus and interfaces are much faster. The WD would constantly lag and trip all over itself trying to hop around the GUI - especially when dealing with network shares. God help you if you have a couple hundred blu-ray rips with movie sheets that need to be displayed - it would take 5 to 10 seconds just to "draw" each screen of 6 or 7 movies thumbnails. The Mede8er is nice and snappy, with no discernible delays.
-It passes through full HD audio tracks just fine. As I understand, not many set-top media players on the market can do this.

Bad
-As I mentioned, I have blu-ray mkv rips shared on my network. They are full 1080p with HD audio and no compression - about 20 to 35GB each. They're on HDD's connected to a Time Capsule's USB port, and shared over the network. The TC is a fast, current 802.11AC model. It's all hard-wired with Cat6 cable running at Gbit speed - including the Mede8er. To its credit, the Mede8er sees the shares just fine, and never has any trouble recognizing them (unlike the WD, which sometimes needed a restart and other "tweaking" just to re-recognize already-existing shares).
---however---
Using this setup, I get brief stuttering/hiccups in both audio and video every 45 to 60 seconds. On the Mede8er forum, I've been told that since the X3D was optimized for 3D streaming, they had to emphasize/tweak NFS sharing, which somehow compromised SMB performance. Apparently this is what's causing my issue. I've confirmed this by hooking up the drives by USB to the Mede8er, and all media plays perfectly. So it must be a network speed issue, which is absolutely baffling since it's all hardwired Gbit ethernet. I've tried new cables, etc. When doing file transfers across the ethernet from those media HDD's I achieve speeds that should be many times higher than necessary for blu-ray streaming.
-I understand that a Time Capsule isn't a dedicated NAS and won't perform as well. But, here's the kicker - the WD did just fine (once the movies started playing) in this setup. And, it costs half as much as the Mede8er, and it only had 100mb ethernet. That makes me wonder how the Mede8er folks somehow degraded SMB performance so badly that it can't even stream blu-rays over a full Gbit hardwired network.

So, just a heads up. If you're looking to stream uncompressed blu-ray content over a SMB share to your Mede8er, expect to have issues. If you connect your content via USB, you'll be fine.
Have you check the port negotiation feature in your switch? I advice you set to NO AUTOSENSE and then set to 100Mbps.

RMerlano
NewBie on AV Systems....
post #911 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
You can't generalize and say everyone should expect to have issues as it's simply not true. Not everyone has a Time Capsule with external drives connected to it. If you are using a true NAS, meaning multiple internal drives, or a server then your chances of success are much greater. The Time Capsule was intended for data backup and not streaming so I can only guess that it is not the best device for this purpose.

Get yourself an NAS with internal drives that was intended for streaming as well as backup, such as a Synology or Qnap, and use the externals for backups only. You'll be much happier, except for the extra cost of course.
rmerlano likes this.
post #912 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
You can't generalize and say everyone should expect to have issues as it's simply not true. Not everyone has a Time Capsule with external drives connected to it. If you are using a true NAS, meaning multiple internal drives, or a server then your chances of success are much greater. The Time Capsule was intended for data backup and not streaming so I can only guess that it is not the best device for this purpose.

Get yourself an NAS with internal drives that was intended for streaming as well as backup, such as a Synology or Qnap, and use the externals for backups only. You'll be much happier, except for the extra cost of course.
Well, I specifically addressed this in my post. I know it's not meant to be used as a NAS. However, the WD TV Live did just fine, with the same setup. And it costs half as much, and it was only a 100mb connection, whereas the Mede8er is full Gbit. If the TC is my bottleneck, then how come the WD pulled it off?

Again, I think Mede8er degraded SMB performance to the point of being almost unusable. I'd love to hear from someone who streams uncompressed blu-rays over their network via SMB with a Mede8er. Maybe someone has found a way to make it work (without buying an expensive NAS/server just for the NFS capability).

In the meantime I've moved the HDD's to the Mede8er's USB port on a hub, and no hiccups. I'd rather do that than drop $300 to $400 on a NAS setup!
post #913 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Do you have Jumbo Frames enabled on your Gbit network? If so, turn them off.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #914 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Do you have Jumbo Frames enabled on your Gbit network? If so, turn them off.
Do you mean on the Time Capsule? I don't think I can do that - Apple doesn't give us that kind of control!
post #915 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you mean on the Time Capsule? I don't think I can do that - Apple doesn't give us that kind of control!
It's a setting enabled on your router. Seeing that you didn't know that, I'd guess you don't have it turned on, but double check to make sure.

post #916 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
It's a setting enabled on your router. Seeing that you didn't know that, I'd guess you don't have it turned on, but double check to make sure.
The Time Capsule is the router - it's the Gbit network in the house. All these devices are plugged into it via ethernet.
post #917 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Time Capsule is the router - it's the Gbit network in the house. All these devices are plugged into it via ethernet.
Is the Time Capsule connected to your modem? Eitherway, TC doesn't have Jumbo Frames enabled, so no worries there.

post #918 of 932 Old 12-03-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Is the Time Capsule connected to your modem? Eitherway, TC doesn't have Jumbo Frames enabled, so no worries there.
Yes, but the gateway is basically in bridge mode. It's just taking the fiber connection and shooting the Internet over to the Time Capsule. The only traffic that goes through the gateway is outside Internet traffic - not local LAN stuff.
post #919 of 932 Old 12-04-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone do ATMOS audio stream through the Meder8er's?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #920 of 932 Old 12-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Anyone do ATMOS audio stream through the Meder8er's?
I watched the new Transformers movie the other day on my MED600X3D. Even though my Denon X4000 doesn't do Atmos, I think the Atmos stream from the blu-ray was still coming through the MED600X3D via pass-thru, but of course I have no way of knowing for sure.
post #921 of 932 Old 12-04-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

How would you know the ATMOS stream is there?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #922 of 932 Old 12-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
How would you know the ATMOS stream is there?
Well, if you have an Atmos-capable AVR, I would assume it would detect the stream and reflect that on the display, just like my AVR says "TrueHD / DD+ / HD Master / etc."
post #923 of 932 Old 12-04-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I understand how it would be done in general. I'm asking you, without an ATMOS AVR how can you tell?

post #924 of 932 Old 12-04-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I understand how it would be done in general. I'm asking you, without an ATMOS AVR how can you tell?
Oh, gotcha. Well, I did say that I have no way to know for sure. I'm watching from an .mkv encoded with MakeMKV, so I know the Atmos stream is the only one in the file. So either it's all coming through bit-for-bit and my AVR is just down mixing it to a TrueHD stream, or the Mede8er is down mixing it first. Either way, there's no way to tell without an AVR capable of Atmos.
post #925 of 932 Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. From reading other threads it appears some non-Atmos receivers are accepting the Atmos audio information but using it as TrueHD. Which makes sense.

Not going to Atmos any time soon myself. Just wondering when I do with the 800X3D if it'll be okay as my media device.

post #926 of 932 Old 12-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks. From reading other threads it appears some non-Atmos receivers are accepting the Atmos audio information but using it as TrueHD. Which makes sense.

Not going to Atmos any time soon myself. Just wondering when I do with the 800X3D if it'll be okay as my media device.
That's what mine seems to be doing. It shows TrueHD when I watch the new Transformers (and the Atmos audio is the only track in the file).
post #927 of 932 Old Today, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Has anybody had an HDMI handshaking issues with the Mede8er?

I have a Denon AVR which switches HDMI from all of my sources to the Projector. I have a PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Mede8er media player, HTPC, Cablebox, Apple TV and a Wii U.

All devices work fine, except for the Mede8er. Sometimes it will either just not show video when I switch to the source, other times it will show fine but then drop the image and I cannot get the handshake to occur again without power cycling the projector. Power cycling the mede8er, including pulling the power cable, does not resolve the issue.

Now, one could conclude that it's the Mede8er since this is the only device exhibiting this behavior, however I have a 2nd HDMI output that goes to a small TV in the adjacent room that sits above my treadmill. When the Epson PJ refuses the Mede8er I can go up to this TV and use it without issue. So in summary I have 8 sources, 1 AVR and 2 display devices. Everything works perfectly except for the Mede8er with the PJ, parts of the time. Other times I can use it without issue.

I have tried a new cable from the Mede8er to the AVR.

I am running the latest firmware update for both units., although I could install the latest 3.07 December Beta on the Mede8er. I am going to duplicate this post in the Epson PJ thread, but didn't know if there is something out there that I'm just not considering.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #928 of 932 Unread Today, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

I have a Denon AVR which switches HDMI from all of my sources to the Projector. I have a PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Mede8er media player, HTPC, Cablebox, Apple TV and a Wii U.

All devices work fine, except for the Mede8er. Sometimes it will either just not show video when I switch to the source, other times it will show fine but then drop the image and I cannot get the handshake to occur again without power cycling the projector. Power cycling the mede8er, including pulling the power cable, does not resolve the issue.

Now, one could conclude that it's the Mede8er since this is the only device exhibiting this behavior, however I have a 2nd HDMI output that goes to a small TV in the adjacent room that sits above my treadmill. When the Epson PJ refuses the Mede8er I can go up to this TV and use it without issue. So in summary I have 8 sources, 1 AVR and 2 display devices. Everything works perfectly except for the Mede8er with the PJ, parts of the time. Other times I can use it without issue.

I am running the latest firmware update for both units., although I could install the latest 3.07 December Beta on the Mede8er. I am going to duplicate this post in the Epson PJ thread, but didn't know if there is something out there that I'm just not considering.
I have a Denon AVR-X4000 and a Mede8er MED600x3D and I don't have any issues whatsoever. I do not however have a projector. I am connected to a Sharp TV. I had some strange issues (similar to what you described) especially with my my HTPC but never with the Mede8er when I had my devices connected to an HDMI Switch.. Since getting the Denon I've had no issues whatsoever.
post #929 of 932 Unread Today, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

I haven't had this issue with the Mede8er but I did have it with a BD player going to my rear projection TV, the solution in my case was setting the resolution to a fixed output instead of leaving on Auto. Ever since then I set the resolution on every device instead of the Auto setting.
post #930 of 932 Unread Today, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 254
What could cause a signal drop in the middle of a movie, this may be the larger culprit of my problem. Still not sure if it's the mede8er or the PJ.

If the video signal drops while the movie is playing, audio still heard by the AVR, but no image will come back. Switching AVR sources sometimes brings it back but it often requires a power cycle on the PJ. During this time I can get an image on the 2nd display/TV.

It almost seems as if the PJ is detecting something it doesn't like and locks out that EDID.

Anyone have to deal with mede8er warranty issues?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page