over the air antenna TV audio, compared to DVD quality audio. Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have recently up graded my system with a PSA15v subwoffer. The sound from my DVD movies now have much more depth, and low end bass that brings the movies up to the quality of a true home theater. The same movies from over the air antenna TV broadcasts have no low end bass, or depth.

for over the air antenna TV, I use a small HDTV converter box. Is it possible to get the same, "or close to the same" quality of sound from over the air TV, as I am getting from my DVD, with a different converter? Or is the signal from over the air antenna TV just to narrow to have the full frequency response that I can get from a DVD?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Is that small HDTV converter box relaying the full DD/5.1 audio stream from the OTA broadcast to your AVR or is it down-converting it to stereo. It should be feeding your AVR via either HDMI or digital audio (optical or coax) connection. You AVR should show DD 5.1 on its display and not a synthesized sound field.

That being said, the DD 5.1 audio you get OTA is of lower bitrate than what you will get from a DVD and thus lower quality. The top bitrate for AC3 is 640Kbps. I find most DVD have an AC3 bitrate of ~540Kbps while OTA broadcasts have an AC3 bitrate of ~320Kbps.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

The converter box is delivering the sound in 2 channel. At this point I still have a JVC CRT model of TV. Some people out there are probably scratching there heads wondering what's a CRT?? wink.gif So all the sound goes through the TV before going out to the amps. Will running the signal through an AVR give a significant benefit? And do most new TVs have the same decoding advantages of an AVR?

post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Odds are the converter box is crippled and can not output DD 5.1. OTA audio is very good, if it's presented in true DD 5.1.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOM ZOOM View Post

And do most new TVs have the same decoding advantages of an AVR?
Current digital HDTV's with digital OTA tuners have an optical output for running the broadcast digital audio out to your AVR. Your AVR is responsible for decoding the AC3 audio. The only decoding an HDTV will do is to decode the stream into something it can play on its internal speakers -- usually no better than 2.0. I don't know if converter boxes are available that will deliver 5.1 audio from an optical or coax output.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, and info. I now know what I need to do.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page