Best blu-ray player for DLNA streaming .wtv files from Windows 7 media center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Win7 computer upstairs that I use as a media center to stream recorded shows from the InfiniTV 4 cablecard tuner throughout the house. I have the bdp s590 and an earlier ethernet only Sony (can't remember the name) that are DLNA compliant and both play the native .wtv from the media center fine. Yesterday, I bought a Samsung 40UE5300 that I thought would also stream the recorded .wtv files. Sadly, I was mistaken. Samsung's AllShare cannot play the .wtv files and I don't want to entertain the thought of converting 500 GB worth of recorded content. It seems the easiest way would be to buy another Blu-ray player or media player for the sole purpose of streaming the DLNA to the Samsung. Kind of irritating that my ancient 55" Samsung LED from 2009 can do the DLNA thing and the new "Smart TV" can't...

Anyways, looking for the best and or cheapest recommendation for a player that can seamlessly stream .wtv without any hassle smile.gif

Thanks much!

John

ps - I also have this posted in the Blu-ray player forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Allshare is a piece of crap dont use it, as is Samsungs DLNA which requires custom DLNA profiles to work defeating the whole point of it.

Where you using WMP12 to stream the media, that might work with the Samsung. If not try Mezzmo, Serviio or TVMobili instead as your DLNA server, they all have Samsung profiles but whether they support .wtv files is another matter because it is an obscure format rarely supported outside of Microsoft based software.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I know Plex supports WTV. You could try Plex, which is compatible with many LG and Samsung blu-ray players. See here.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I know Plex supports WTV. You could try Plex, which is compatible with many LG and Samsung blu-ray players. See here.
Does Plex support copy-protected WTV files? WMC is heavy into DRM for cable-card recordings that greatly restricts what you can do with them or how you can play them. It would be nice it you could play them on something other than an X-Box extender.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Does Plex support copy-protected WTV files? WMC is heavy into DRM for cable-card recordings that greatly restricts what you can do with them or how you can play them. It would be nice it you could play them on something other than an X-Box extender.

The only thing that's going to play copy once material is the original PC and WMC extenders tied to it. It's worth checking out the Ceton Echo, which is a brand new WMC extender that is going to dual boot android.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Serviio works through the Samsung TV (and the picture is awesome and not downressed like on the bdp s470 in the living room) but I can't fast forward or rewind. I'm going to try plex this weekend and see how that goes. Thanks for all the help so far, I really do appreciate it biggrin.gif
post #7 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 213
if something cannot play wtv, and has to remux on the fly, fast forwarding and rewinding will be harder to accomplish

boxee box is another one that i know has wtv listed in its specs.

if your server software has xml profiles you might be able to trick your tv into thinking that your wtv files are something like ts or mpg. i can trick my android phone into opening them.

who is your cable provider? as was stated, if your channels are all marked copy once your only options to play them are an xbox 360, ceton echo, and the discontinued extenders by linksys, hp, dlink, and samsung.

if you can find a Samsung Media Live MR-00EA1 used look into that. I saw one sell for around $10 on ebay. You must have a Samsung tv to use it because it uses hdmi-cec.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Cox communications is my provider.

That certainly makes sense about the FF/REW if the file is being remuxed just to watch it.

And the server is a Win 7 pro pc smile.gif
post #9 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Just to save you a lot of aggravation try this:

It's almost a guarantee anything you recorded from HBO, Stars, Showtime, or Cinemax will be marked Copy Once, meaning nothing but an official WMC extender or your htpc will play them. Most cable providers mark everything BUT the local channels that way too.

Look at something you recorded from a channel like USA, TNT, ESPN, Discovery, etc. Look at see if they are marked Copy Protected on the synopsis as shown at the bottom of this picture. If they are marked this way there is no point trying to find a combination of server/bluray player to play wtv files because your files will never play.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #10 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Pitt.

All the recordings are local station recordings of prime time shows with the exception of Walking Dead and I don't believe I've noticed that copy protected symbol on any recording so far smile.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Plex appears to have solved all my issues and there is even a Plex app for my Samsung tv that I can use to access the media server and FF/RW up to 16x as well as apps for my Droid phone and the spouse's iphone that allow streaming over 3g

Thanks for all the help!
post #12 of 12 Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 PM

Liked: 10
SONY Blu Ray players stream the content perfectly and without the need to install any kind of server on your HTPC. The only thing you need is to enable streaming on windows media player (weird that this enables streaming of WMC content, but it does), and allow the blue ray player access to the content, this is done from a list in the windows media player itself.

I have 3 different SONY blu ray players and they all do it just fine. All I did was look for players that were DLNA certified. I record shows on my HTPC and my office PC if I happen to be up there, and the players stream from both with no issues.

Franke46
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming