Advice: Dune Smart H1/D1 or Mede8er MED1000X3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I'm planning to move my popcorn A-210 to a spare bedroom and am looking to replace it with something better (if there is something better) and have the 2 player's above as my top 2 choices. Below are the things I need

- Bitstream HD Audio to my reciever
- Excellent network speed as I stream everything from my gigabit media server (needs to support nfs and smb. my server is capable of both)
- Play BD ISO/BDMV folders (most of my movies are m2ts format but I do have a few BDMV/ISO rips that I would like to play)
- Jukebox capability (I use YAMJ currently but would be open to something else. I only need the jukebox for movies.don't need it for tv shows)
- Relatively bug free (I know this is somewhat impossible with these type of devices but I don't want to spend more time troubleshooting a device than watching movies on it)

I absolutely despise 3D so don't care if it can play 3D movies. I know the MED1000X3D's main draw is it's 3D ability but I also liked it's relatively stable operation from reviews as well as it's network speeds. I've had other media players that had issues with this so that's what's keeping it on the list for me

P.S. I'm not interested in the newer popcorn hours. I tried an A-300 and was not impressed. I would be more inclined to get another a-210 before purchasing any of the newer pch's

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
if you don't care about 3D, go for the B1/D1, as it will do everything you need and even more... Smart serie from Dune are the most stable players on the market.

details :

- Bitstream HD Audio to my reciever => no problem
- Excellent network speed as I stream everything from my gigabit media server (needs to support nfs and smb. my server is capable of both) => best management on the market both in SMB or NFS (100Mbs is enough for streaming anything you want).
- Play BD ISO/BDMV folders (most of my movies are m2ts format but I do have a few BDMV/ISO rips that I would like to play) => no problem (all my rips are BDVM)
- Jukebox capability (I use YAMJ currently but would be open to something else. I only need the jukebox for movies.don't need it for tv shows) => Yamj/eversion available for Dune, but there are various other (free) jukeboxes if you want to test.
- Relatively bug free (I know this is somewhat impossible with these type of devices but I don't want to spend more time troubleshooting a device than watching movies on it) => as I said already, Dune Smart is the most stable media player you can find.
post #3 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Agree. If you do not need 3D go for H1 / D1.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I would go with med600x3d coming in january to USA for about 140$ , i think mediaconcept usa will have it for sale.
besides it does 2d flawless bug free ,......except it doesnt do forced subtitles.

the dune 340$ its way to expensive for a hdmi1.3 player .

regards

Portuguese Blog & Forum Discussion about Audio & Video
Visit our Blog & Forum CinemaHIFI.PT
Like cinemahifi on Facebook
post #5 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

except that the 600x3D is not doing BR menu (i guess that if ikecomp ask about ISO/BDVM compatibility it's because he's interested in menu) and also it will be a new model with all the risks of having a bunch of bugs at launch...(including the current ones of the 1000x3D)

Smarts are expensive, but they do the job and they do it flawlessly (as long as you don't care about 3D)
post #6 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the responses. While I'm willing to pay for a good experience, I can't help feeling the Dune's price point is a tad too high especially since it came out a long time ago. And while full menu support would be nice it's not a deal killer as long as the player can play the main movie. As I stated, I only have a handful of movies with with menus and the main movie plays fine on my current A-210 so as long as the mede8r can do that it should suffice.

Now with regards to the jukebox which is very important. I started reading the guide for setting up Y2M and my only question/concern is the setup for scanning movies. My server has multiple hard drives with a folder on each hard drive that has my movies (ex. hard drive one has a folder named HD_M1, hard drive two has a folder named HD_M2, etc). In YAMJ, I used a junction link for all the folders on a separate drive so they could be seen in one consolidated folder to make it easier to scrape for information. Can I continue to use this setup with Y2M or must I scan each movie folder (HD_M1, HD_M2) separately.

Feel free to point me to a guide that explains this question if it's been asked before.

Thanks again for your feedback.
post #7 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

I guess you will have more answers on the 1000x3d topic as the 600x3d should work in the same way wink.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420605/med1000x3d-high-definition-3d-multimedia-player
post #8 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

I guess you will have more answers on the 1000x3d topic as the 600x3d should work in the same way wink.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420605/med1000x3d-high-definition-3d-multimedia-player

I'll check it out. Thanks again.
post #9 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Y2M is a terrific tool, making movie jukebox setup easy. But, no, Mede8er can't consolidate different shares into one. Also, TV jukebox support in Mede8er is poor, but you said you didn't need this. The movie jukebox in Mede8er is very nice IMHO.

For playback, the 1000X3D is quite solid, stable. My review here. There are frequent firmware updates, almost weekly.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #10 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Y2M is a terrific tool, making movie jukebox setup easy. But, no, Mede8er can't consolidate different shares into one. Also, TV jukebox support in Mede8er is poor, but you said you didn't need this. The movie jukebox in Mede8er is very nice IMHO.
For playback, the 1000X3D is quite solid, stable. My review here. There are frequent firmware updates, almost weekly.

Thanks for the reply. I've already read your review as well as few others and that's what ultimately help me make my decision along with some of the other posts on AVS. To get to the heart of my question, I already have YAMJ setup. I have junction links setup that all point to the same shared directory using an old guide I found back in the day on the NMT forums (YAMJ for Dummies). So technically, the 1000X3D would only need to look at one network share for all my movies

For example

YAMJ_SHARE (Folder I created on a random network drive. I pointed YAMJ to it to scan for movies)
- HD_M1 folder on hard drive one --junction link--> YAMJ_SHARE
- HD_M2 folder on hard drive two --junction link--> YAMJ_SHARE
- HD_M3 folder on hard drive three --junction link--> YAMJ_SHARE

When I run the scan for YAMJ, it looks inside the YAMJ_SHARE directory (which has HD_M1, HD_M2, HD_M3 in it) and it recursively scans these 3 main directories for all my movies. So in your experience, will this no longer work? If not is there is another tool that can accomplish this? I have no problem posting in the dedicated thread if that is best
post #11 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

His junction points should not change for Y2m they are setup on the PC its just showing all shares in a single folder, like if you mount the NTFS drives to a folder. So it should all work the same.

S
post #12 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hmm, maybe I need to read up on setting up junction links. Didn't know you could do this. Got a link to a wiki or any instructions? Thanks.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #13 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Hmm, maybe I need to read up on setting up junction links. Didn't know you could do this. Got a link to a wiki or any instructions? Thanks.

All the different types of windows options

http://comptb.cects.com/2268-overview-to-understanding-hard-links-junction-points-and-symbolic-links-in-windows

junction is part of sysinternals so you need some extra software.
post #14 of 37 Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

2 TB Drives don't go as far as they used to so I had to find a way to have all my movies spread across different drives show up in one folder. I used an old guide which is no longer recommended but you can also review this one targeted at setting it up on windows 7

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=36201

Or you could use this one which a link or guide for setting up YAMJ on may different platforms

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=35043
post #15 of 37 Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 AM

I am thinking about buying the PCH A400 or the Mede81000. As I read the thread above the Dune smart H1 could also be of interest? I do not need 3D at present but if possible I would like to watch You tube videos and navigate in you tube.
Is the Dune then still somethinhg for me or is it outdated?
What size hard disk does it take? Would it take 3TB?
Can you attach a keyboard, what type?
Do I need Wifi for it? I guess there is no IPad App for it...
Thank you!
Paul
post #16 of 37 Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

If you don't need 3D then the smart range is still the top player and will offer full Br compatibility (including menus), best in class streaming and various 3rd party jukeboxes.
there's a youtube app in the dune, but TBH I never tested it so can't comment...
If you don't look for 3D, Smart range is absolutely not outdated and works like a charm.
Internal 3TB is not a problem as long as you use green drives.
You can use a bluetooth keyboard, there's the official one but I think you can use other brands (search this topic for more answers).
Don't know if you can attach a kb using a USB port (i would say yes, why not...)
Wifi is not needed but any ethernet connection is highly recommended. Anyway if you plan to stream HD, you can forget about wifi.
There are various apps for Dune mostly IP remote controllers or jukeboxes (iOS version of the PC version).
pavel_1968 likes this.
post #17 of 37 Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 AM

As I see it Wifi is useful if there is a ipad or android app, but there is none? How do yo see the PCH A400 perform for my purposes( if I do not depend on HD) Does the Dune have any disadvantages?
Thanks, Paul
post #18 of 37 Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

If you don't need 3D, you won't find anything better than a smart...

As I said : wifi is not needed for streaming hd movies, but of course will be usefull for ipad connectivity or just for small file tranfer (if you really can't use wired Ethernet)
post #19 of 37 Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 14
My two Dune Smart D1's have been far more stable than any other player I've tested. (PCH, Western Digital, Netgear 550) I don't mean to sound like a fan boy but I try to save others the hassle of testing players so they can spend more time enjoying what they were intended for; playing movies.
post #20 of 37 Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Thank you very much for the helpful advice. I will cancel my yet unpaid A400 order.
Paul
post #21 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can we ADD Pandora on DUNE D1?
post #22 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

no (at least for now)
post #23 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 AM

@Mr. Eric & Co.

I am going to order the Dune HD smart H1, but can you suggest exactly which hard disk I should order with it? I know that it takes many but I have the feeling that the shops that are selling it with hard disks do not take the best ones, but the cheapest of course. Also I read in some forums that some green drives do not work unless configured. I want at least 2 better 3 TB. When I order the hard disk in a different store or at Amazon, shall I format it in the Dune? So I have to take any precautions before inserting it?
How do I get this automatic program to rum that retrieves the covers etc.?
Thank you very much!
Paul
post #24 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Any green drive or similar (low power consumption) will be OK.

format it once in the dune (NTFS, so you can also use it on you PC if needed).

For the jukeboxes, check mpcclub.com. They've got a thread for each major jukebox on the market (i.e. yadis, zappiti, mymovies, DFI for PC and DuneX for Mac) : http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85
post #25 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 AM

Liked: 14
Looks like everyone has had their questions answered and sorry to hijack this thread but I'm dying to know when the new Smart firmware update from HDI will be made available that allows for Zappiti too load on power-on!!

Anything...anyone??

Thanks,
FTL
post #26 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanlight View Post

Looks like everyone has had their questions answered and sorry to hijack this thread but I'm dying to know when the new Smart firmware update from HDI will be made available that allows for Zappiti too load on power-on!!

Anything...anyone??

Thanks,
FTL

No one knows. I think they have bigger bugs to fix with their new devices.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #27 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

No one knows. I think they have bigger bugs to fix with their new devices.

You're probably right (though it would be nice!). Count me as one more who thinks the previous generation of Dune players is the pinnacle of blu-ray playback over a network. I already have a Dune Prime 3.0 and Dune HD Max but I just ordered two Smart D1s in case one or both of those players die in the future since blu-ray ISO/BDMV playback in media players with support for seamless branching and forced subtitles is dead in the current generation of players.
post #28 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM

I don't care about 3D so much, just stability. Before I pull the trigger on the Smart D1 I was wondering if the Dune HD Duo is just as stable? I'm down to those two.
post #29 of 37 Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The HD Duo, Max, and Smarts have the same hardware and general performance for steaming so yes it is just as stable.
Snejenka likes this.
post #30 of 37 Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 AM

@Mr. Eric & Co.
Thanks Eric, once more!
I just ordered the smart H1, a 3TB WH hard drive, the Dune keyboard and the Dune WLAN:

Do I need for the Dune a USB Stick to increase the internal memory? I have read somewhere that this may be necessary?

Do you know if it is better to put onto the hard disk DVD iso files or the Video_TS folders? I know how to make iso-files from the _TS folders.

How could I get the cover of the movie (from the Internet) to be visible on screen when chosing a video? Is it that what the Juke boxes do?
Which Juke boxes do you recommend? Are they free or do they mean additional cost? What is the advantage? I know this sounds silly but I am new to media players...

Will the Dune also play my own HD Videos from the Sony Camcorder? What is the best format to put onto the player?
Thanks a lot!
Paul
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page