Amp, Apple TV 3 & Airplay to kitchen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time to post here on AVS Forum.

I live in a small 2-room apartment in Japan, probably the size of most people's living rooms back where I'm from in the USA.

The kitchen has a little dining area where I like to sit and read stuff on my ipad, listen to music, relax, eat, etc. I spend a lot of time in there. I'm also in the process of making the space into a home office. So I'm looking to improve my audio/networking set up and get everything flowing together.

In the kitchen, I have an old iphone 3G sitting in a dock, connected to a really old JBL Creature II (3-speaker set up), shuffling through itunes playlists mostly. The sound is good, but I feel like it might be time for an upgrade. Especially with my recent purchase of Apple TV and the convenience of Airplay.

In my bedroom, I've got Apple TV 3 hooked up to my Yamaha AX-V465 amp via HDMI, which is then connected to my Sharp Aquos HDTV. Now I would like to get my bedroom TV/Audio synced with my kitchen, so I'm not constantly flipping things off and on manually, and using separate devices (which ultimately have the same playlists running) each time I change rooms.

Does anyone have any advice for how I could upgrade my bedroom/kitchen set up without spending too much money and in lieu of running some long speaker wire to the kitchen. I've just realized I have an old Airport Express sitting around which could be worked into the new system as well (?)

I'm sure there's probably some easy ways to get it all linked up.
Interested to hear of any suggestions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The major problem with Apple's system is it's reliance on iTunes as it's central point for all media, you can only get iTunes on a Mac or PC*.

ITunes gives you homesharing and your iOS device acts as the remote to iTunes using the iOS remote app allowing you select media to play but also pick the airplay output so you have the AppleTV in one room and the Airport Express hooked up to your speakers in the other. Find a second hand Mac Mini and use that as your media server so that will give you the same media listings for both rooms.

* There are other ways of connecting to the iOS remote app from Apple but they are so complicated and flaky they are beyond most peoples patience.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestions. I have an old mac mini and might set it up. Another possibility may be to buy a new iMac eventually for my work, which would probably eliminate some of the hassle.
For now, I just set up the airport extreme which is working pretty well, as you said-- switching the apple tv control from the bedroom to the wireless speakers in the kitchen.

Unfortunately I'm running into a new issue with the TV to amp set up via HDMI, which for some reason turns off the amp whenever I try to listen to the apple tv stream without the TV being on...
(all my manuals are in Japanese so it doesn't help).

Not sure if this is worthy of a new post in another forum or not, but how do I keep my apple tv system running through the amp, when turning my TV off?
post #4 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Could be HDMI CEC is enabled on the TV and amp ?

HDMI CEC allows one device to control another via HDMI cable, it can be a very temperamental feature and cause all sorts of other problems. Make sure that feature is disable on both devices, unfortunately the TV makers like to rename HDMI CEC so Samsung call it Anynet and Sony Bravia Sync etc so you will have to dig through the menus to find it.

Also on the AppleTV go into it's audio and video settings, disable sleep after x number of minutes (makes barely any difference power draw only drops a fraction) and set the audio output to 16-bit, both of those might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page