Video Streaming of DVD and BD suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK so its time to get rid of my Cinematube BV5005HD and get something new. I have looked through a ton of treads and there is a dizzying amount of options. Can anyone recommend a media player that they use that can do the things listed below.

1. Steam from a shared folder on my media PC (win 7)
  2. Play DVD Video_TS folders by selecting the DVD folder (i.e. THE _CAMPAIGN) and pressing play. This is a must as i have over 200 DVDs backed up this way.
  3. Play BD ISO files with menus if possible(i have starting backing up these in ISO as this seems more compatible)
  4. Easy to use interface (wife and kids need to be able to pick up and use system easily)
  5. Surround Sound support
  6. Netflix and (amazon is a bonus) Hulu support

Im not looking to spend more than $150

I looked at a few Dune players but im alittle concerned they are going to require a lot of setup. The Popcorn hour devices look good but seem expensive. and then there is the WDTV Live which seems to have easy setup but is it robust enough.

Please help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 336
The WDTV Live is quite robust but it won't do #3 of your list. If you want BD.iso with menus, be prepared to spend quite a bit more.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The WDTV Live is quite robust but it won't do #3 of your list. If you want BD.iso with menus, be prepared to spend quite a bit more.

Will it play at least the main movie? I might be able to live with that as long as there is a way to make sure to select the non 3D movie on some of the dual discs.

I know the Dune Smarts will play BD menus but will the Dune 301 them?
post #4 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 336
When given a BD.iso, the WD Live-SMP will simply go in and play the biggest .m2ts file in the BDMV\STREAM folder. It does not process playlists so if the main title is authored as seamless branching. the Live-SMP can't handle it. With the Live-SMP you cannot simply rip the whole BD and play it with guaranteed success. You will have to use an app (like Clown_BD or MakeMKV) to extract the main title as BD.m2ts or BD.mkv or BD.iso.

For more info, see the active threads here on ripping BD and for the WD Live-SMP. If you want full BD menus you will have to look at Dune or PCH for substantially higher cost.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page