Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

There are 3 levels 1 is free 2 an annual license,the 3rd. is a lifetime license. IIRC they are offering a special deal but it ends tomorrow(unless they extend it). You can by a lifetime license and get a free Roku LT for $60 bucks,or a lifetime license plus a free Roku HD for $80 bucks. The Roku HD doesn't have an ethernet port,only the 2XS has that. That's catastrophegirl. 'Course there ain't much diff. between a catastrophe and a disaster biggrin.gif A lot of people have the free version cuz it offers Hulu in a way that can be streamed to your tv via the Roku instead of it only being available on your computer. The Playon platform is a service. I'm not familiar with the term "hack helper". confused.gif

I'll have to look closer because all I saw was 1 = $4.99/month 2= $60 with free Roku LT and 3= $80 w/ free Roku HD. The Ruko LT is already $60 and the HD is $80 by themsleves, no point in committing to a contract for life like cable or a timeshare. Perhaps going straight to the Playon site will reveal the devil in the details. smile.gif I'm going with the 2XS since it has a RJ45/ethernet port which to me is called a "back up connection when the wireless fails". Now if I could only figure out how to get rid of that Angry Birds thing and Gaming stuff that comes on it. Maybe there is a way in "setup" or something, once I get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
You can delete Angry birds any time you like, it's easy and if you want to add it back later on you can do that too,it's in the Roku channel store. The lifetime license isn't like a cable sub. it's a one time fee. There was another deal for existing Roku owners which i took advantage of, which was a lifetime license for $40 bucks but i don't know if it's still being offered.

Oh heck, i totally forgot about the monthly and yearly licenses,sorry for my absent mindedness. redface.gif I prefer the lifetime license cuz it allows for third party add-ons,the other licenses don't offer that perk.
post #33 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

When streaming netflix in HD 5.1 you don`t get a dark picture?? If not let me know your settings. The dark picture on netflix HD 5.1 is a common problem. If you don`t believe me check the Onkyo support forum or the Roku forum.

Huh... I've not noticed that but now if I do I'm going to be angry with you! Ignorance was bliss!

I know in the past there was a widespread issue with 0-255 vs 16-235 video levels but that was supposed to be fixed. I'll look in to the Onkyo issue and see what I can find!

Edit: It appears there may be a roko / onkyo issue with the signal processing chipset in the xxx9 line of receivers. Those with a older model may not have an issue. That being said, it looks like Roko is working to find a solution (which is more than Onkyo seems to be doing).
post #34 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 AM

Liked: 10
How does the Roku 2 XS compare to AppleTV? Anyone have both in their house to comment. I'm looking to get one of these boxes this Christmas but debating which one.
post #35 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Liked: 15
I have both. The Apple works fine with my Onkyo AVR. The Roku wont. If streaming Amazon is important to you that leaves the Apple out.
post #36 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

You can delete Angry birds any time you like, it's easy and if you want to add it back later on you can do that too,it's in the Roku channel store. The lifetime license isn't like a cable sub. it's a one time fee. There was another deal for existing Roku owners which i took advantage of, which was a lifetime license for $40 bucks but i don't know if it's still being offered.
Oh heck, i totally forgot about the monthly and yearly licenses,sorry for my absent mindedness. redface.gif I prefer the lifetime license cuz it allows for third party add-ons,the other licenses don't offer that perk.

I assume we are still talking about PlayON. I read their site and ended up Emailing them with questions because it's a little sketchy. In one spot they say the lifetime subscription is $39.99 and then you go to the purchase section and its $59.99 plus $10 shipping and you get a low end Roku. Then there's the Annual subscription which appears to be the most cost effective, but I don't know it's abilities. I'm only interested in getting You Tube and HULU Regular (HULU Plus stinks) on the Roku. I'm not interested in anything else they have and won't ever be as I have no need for 110 sports channels or 300 channels of The Kardashians. I'm also concerned about PlayOn interfering with NetFlix (if I get a subscription to Netflix) because they offer it as well. I've Emailed them asking if there is a purchase choice for my purposes. I'm also not real keen on the lack of a phone number to these people. To me that makes them a possible fly-by-night set up. We will see.
post #37 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Haynes View Post

How does the Roku 2 XS compare to AppleTV? Anyone have both in their house to comment. I'm looking to get one of these boxes this Christmas but debating which one.

Have both. Roku just works, netflix, amazon, vudu, pandora and HBO Go.
Apple very buggy. Netflix doesn't always work, movies on itunes is fine. Good luck if you want to wake up a sleeping imac for sharing music.
Both wired into FIOS.
post #38 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, got a reply from PlayOn and they try to rip you off at first. The rep told me that I don't need PlayOn to get You Tube on the Roku and that the only choice for me was the $59.99 + $10 Lifetime subscription and that I must have it in order for the Roku to function. He then stated that I could decline the Roku unit with the subscription, but would still have to pay $59.99 plus $10.00 for shipping.
I wrote back to him to get him to explain what he said and asked him if the Annual plan was the same as the PlayOn Lite version.
Got another reply form the rep and now he has changed his tune. Now he says that PlayOn Lite will give me You Tube, but not Hulu regular or anything else except Pandora (which I have on everything but the kitchen sink) and the ability to stream from files on your PC (which I do not have and don't need). He then said the Annual Plan does everything the Lifetime plan does and is exactly the same.
I'm glad that got cleared up, but I have decided not to go with PlayOn based on the rep's initial response. I don't condone that behavior. He should of responded with his second response and been done. Had he done that, I would have been more willing to try the Annual plan.
post #39 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Unless something has changed at Playon the free version gives you Hulu which is what many people have. You definitely don't want to use playon to watch Netflix even tho' playon supports it cuz playon only does SD resolution not HD and you'de be limited to stereo audio.,best to watch Netflix directly thru the Roku.The $39.99 deal for a lifetime license was only for existing Roku users, which is the deal i got.When i bought my license it was a straight-forward deal,never felt like i was being ripped off. NONE of the answers you were given make any sense at all confused.gif. I think you must have been talking to somebody who didn't know what they were talking about. Why would you have a"shipping charge" if you declined the free Roku?? I also don't understand the answer you got concerning Youtube. Roku no longer supports Youtube cuz of some dispute between Roku and google. Don't know about Playon support for Youtube cuz i don't use Youtube very often and when i do i just use my laptop to directly access the website. This business about your "only choice being a $59.99 + $10.00 lifetime license in order for the Roku to function" is totally whacked out!!, what kind of statement is that??? You must have gotten stuck talking to an IDIOT!!, a MORON!. There is NO TRUTH in that statement.

Playon isn't for everybody,some people like me find it to be a useful tool for certain things,others don't,i use it everyday.It's not necessary to have but i thought i'de tell you about it. Sorry your experience with them was so bad. eek.gif
post #40 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I rarely use PlayOn but I got the lifetime license because of the Roku that came with it. Well actually they ran out so I got a $60 gift card instead. So I used it to by a Roku 2 XD when the were on sale at Best Buy a while time ago. Even though it's only wireless, usage is identical to when I use my wired Roku 2 XS. One day I might use PlayON more, but at least with the lifetime license I will hopefully be covered.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #41 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I rarely use PlayOn but I got the lifetime license because of the Roku that came with it. Well actually they ran out so I got a $60 gift card instead. So I used it to by a Roku 2 XD when the were on sale at Best Buy a while time ago. Even though it's only wireless, usage is identical to when I use my wired Roku 2 XS. One day I might use PlayON more, but at least with the lifetime license I will hopefully be covered.

Yeah, I don't think I would use PlayOn much if I did have it either. By the way, as I understand it, the Roku 2XS is also wireless, but just happens to have an Ethernet Port as well for some reason. Perhaps for those without a wireless network or router or what have you. Am I wrong?
post #42 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 PM

Liked: 10

can anybody tell me if roku channels are just like you are watching cable or is it gonna be pixelated and keep buffering kind of thing?

post #43 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldman5 View Post

can anybody tell me if roku channels are just like you are watching cable or is it gonna be pixelated and keep buffering kind of thing?

It depends on your Internet connection I wopuld think. If your cable internet or similar tru broadband you should have little to no issues in the regard. DSL on the other hand could be sketchy depending on how close you are loacted to a repeater station, most likely not that close.
goodoldman5 likes this.
post #44 of 44 Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldman5 View Post

In my experience with Roku channels, they are very similar to watching cable/sat. AFA buffering and pixelation is concerned,but luvmusic is right,it depends on your internet connection. My down speed is ~8mbps.,more than enough to stream 1080p HD video and i rarely if ever have buffering/pixelation issues unless the service provider is having server issues(VUDU comes to mind here,they seem to have more than their share of server problems) but that isn't a Roku issue.
goodoldman5 likes this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page