Thinking about getting one of those Roku things. Any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm considering getting the RokuXS. I'm leaning to the top one because it has an Ethernet port which would be a handy backup, not to mention the other features it has. I don't need that angry birds thing whatever that is though, nor do I need the gaming features, but the other units don't have what I do need or want so I'm forced to look at the XS.
Anyway, I'd like to know what other's experiences are with this item. I like documentaries and classic TV shows like Columbo, mission impossible etc. I'm interested to see what free content is available if there is anything within my afore-mentioned genres. I'm also considering streaming Netflix..maybe. One of my favorite shows is How It's Made which I have not been able to receive for years. I'm also curious about anyone else's experience with Netflix streaming. While it's far and away cheaper than cable, I still don't want to pay a monthly fee for something not much different from cable.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 539
There is an entire thread for Roku, which shoud give u a good idea what people think.....Its one of the top streamers of onlne content for a reason....NetFlix is great IMo especially for TV shows (mostly older) they have a good library that could keep a person busy for a long time...NetFlix comes in handy if you missed a show thats aired and they ahve the back seasons available to stream...
post #3 of 44 Old 11-28-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Roku is great for Internet content. Netflix is first-rate via it. They recently added the ability to single-search across Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, etc. As for free content, Crackle is decent. If you like tech, CNET and Revision3 are good. You can also add private channels like BBC World News, CNN, etc.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 44 Old 11-28-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are currently 8 seasons of How It's Made on Netflix streaming...trust me it'll be the best $8/mo you'll ever spend smile.gif
post #5 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 AM

Liked: 15
Dont use it with a AVR, especially Onkyo.
post #6 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

???

Why would you say that? I've got a Onkyo 5008 and my Roku works flawlessly with it. I agree with those above, they Roku is a great little addition to the entertainment center. There are also tons of free "channels" on the Roku with a lot of things you'll never bother watching but a few gems can be found as well.
post #7 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 AM

When streaming netflix in HD 5.1 you don`t get a dark picture?? If not let me know your settings. The dark picture on netflix HD 5.1 is a common problem. If you don`t believe me check the Onkyo support forum or the Roku forum.
post #8 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Dunno about Onkyo,but i have a Denon 2310CI AVR and it works perfectly,never any issues. smile.gif
post #9 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When streaming netflix in HD 5.1 you don`t get a dark picture?? If not let me know your settings. The dark picture on netflix HD 5.1 is a common problem. If you don`t believe me check the Onkyo support forum or the Roku forum.

I often stream Netflix DD+ movies with my Roku 2XS thru my Denon 2310CI AVR and have never had a dark picture problem,must be an issue with Onkyo.
post #10 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 AM

It could be just Onkyo. Thanks for letting me know about Denon. I will remember that when I am looking for another receiver.
post #11 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

To the OP....I have owned a Roku 2XS for ~7mos.,and have found More than enough content there to keep me happy,enough so that i was able to eliminate my satellite service($96/mo.)and save lotsa $$$.
The Roku 2XS is a nice little streaming player and IMO doesn't deserve the bad reviews that some have given it.......just my opinion. Also,whether you will like the Roku or any streaming player is totally dependent on what YOU want to watch. If you NEED to see "The Walking Dead" on AMC then no streaming player will satisfy you. IF you're a TCM fan like me there may be hope. Recently TCM has been making noises about possibly starting a streaming service,if that happens i'll be the first in line to sign up and buy it. smile.gif
post #12 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Uh oh! All I have is an Onkyo TX-RS705 AVR! So the Roku does not work with these receivers? That's a deal killer! I guess I won't be getting a Roku then.frown.gif
I got all excited reading about How It's Made being on there and everything, then read this.
Can somebody tell me if there is a cheap and easy fix or if I have to run out and by a $1000 AVR?
post #13 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

To the OP....I have owned a Roku 2XS for ~7mos.,and have found More than enough content there to keep me happy,enough so that i was able to eliminate my satellite service($96/mo.)and save lotsa $$$.
The Roku 2XS is a nice little streaming player and IMO doesn't deserve the bad reviews that some have given it.......just my opinion. Also,whether you will like the Roku or any streaming player is totally dependent on what YOU want to watch. If you NEED to see "The Walking Dead" on AMC then no streaming player will satisfy you. IF you're a TCM fan like me there may be hope. Recently TCM has been making noises about possibly starting a streaming service,if that happens i'll be the first in line to sign up and buy it. smile.gif

I'm strictly into watching what many folks don't. I don't like anything they put out today on TV. I'm not a big TV watcher as it is anyway. I am just looking for something that offers the programming I like in which most of it is not available on cable or sattlelite. (Documentaries, classic shows, concerts, etc.) I'm not into any one station or any of todays programming.
post #14 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmusic View Post

Uh oh! All I have is an Onkyo TX-RS705 AVR! So the Roku does not work with these receivers? That's a deal killer! I guess I won't be getting a Roku then.frown.gif
I got all excited reading about How It's Made being on there and everything, then read this.
Can somebody tell me if there is a cheap and easy fix or if I have to run out and by a $1000 AVR?

It may not happen with ALL Onkyos as we have someone who posted with a 5008 and they dont have issues....if it doesnt work, then you can always return the device...
post #15 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm strictly into watching what many folks don't. I don't like anything they put out today on TV. I'm not a big TV watcher as it is anyway. I am just looking for something that offers the programming I like in which most of it is not available on cable or sattlelite. (Documentaries, classic shows, concerts, etc.) I'm not into any one station or any of todays programming.

If documentaries,and classic shows is what you're into then you'll be very happy with a Roku....don't know about concerts....i don't watch them.Netflix has LOTSA documentaries and a 'fair' amount of classic shows. I especially like "Dark Shadows" and "The Night Stalker".They also have the "Poirot" series,among others. Hulu and Hulu plus have a goodly number of classic shows....tooo many for me to recount here. Almost forgot to mention.....to get Hulu you'll need to have the Playon platform installed on your computer,the free version of Playon carries Hulu,which you can stream to your tv via the Roku. Hulu is also free.Hulu plus costs $8.00/mo.
post #16 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I have trouble with HDMI handshaking with the ROKU and my Onkyo. Several times a day when switching the source to the ROKU I end up with a pink screen.
post #17 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52610[/URL
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=49584&hilit=Search%E2%80%A6
post #18 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

It may not happen with ALL Onkyos as we have someone who posted with a 5008 and they dont have issues....if it doesnt work, then you can always return the device...

I'd rather know it's going to work than set myself up for a huge dissapointment and hassle.
post #19 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The most satisfying boxes are those that have tons of content available. Roku has tons and tons of apps.
You should really enjoy it.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #20 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If documentaries,and classic shows is what you're into then you'll be very happy with a Roku....don't know about concerts....i don't watch them.Netflix has LOTSA documentaries and a 'fair' amount of classic shows. I especially like "Dark Shadows" and "The Night Stalker".They also have the "Poirot" series,among others. Hulu and Hulu plus have a goodly number of classic shows....tooo many for me to recount here.

Goody!smile.gif I like the ol' Dragnet, Adam 12, Columbo, Emergency....I like Documentaries and Doc shows like How It's Made (what has already been covered here), Modern Marvels, Egypt Docs, other Docs of things I find interesting and even soem Huell Howser thrown in for laughs. I'm curious about concert stuff like The Artist's Den and such. I also like classic Sci Fi: The Original Star Trek, classic Sci Fi movies like Colossus, Silent Running, etc. Sounds like a Roku and Netflix will give me what I want.
post #21 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank You! I feel better about it now. It would also seem to me that should I run into an issue I could set the AVR in some way to correct it. (I'm not concerned with 5.0 and 5.1 and 23x2 and whatever as what I like to watch is way way before sound processing like that was even in someone's mind. If I want 5.1 and what not, I pop in a DVD).smile.gif
post #22 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Goody!smile.gif I like the ol' Dragnet, Adam 12, Columbo, Emergency....I like Documentaries and Doc shows like How It's Made (what has already been covered here), Modern Marvels, Egypt Docs, other Docs of things I find interesting and even soem Huell Howser thrown in for laughs. I'm curious about concert stuff like The Artist's Den and such. I also like classic Sci Fi: The Original Star Trek, classic Sci Fi movies like Colossus, Silent Running, etc. Sounds like a Roku and Netflix will give me what I want.

If you like sci-fi and horror,you'll find TONS of it with a Roku.There are a LOT of developed channels that carry that material. Netflix has "Columbo" I would have to go thru the many diff. channels offered by Roku,but i 'think'you can find episodes of "Modern Marvels" along with episodes of other shows along those lines. You should also check out Internet Archives,they have a lot of old movies there too,and a few tv series that are in the public domain. Don't know if you're into old radio broadcasts but they have literally hundreds of "Dragnet" radio shows there at IA.
post #23 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I have trouble with HDMI handshaking with the ROKU and my Onkyo. Several times a day when switching the source to the ROKU I end up with a pink screen.

Funny you should mention that. I read a post by a fellow in another forum who is having a similar problem as the one you describe(pink screen). He also has an Onkyo,i don't remember the model # but he said he found some kind of work-around for the problem. Sounds like there 'could be' some compatibility issue...at least with certain Onkyo models,he said he believes it may be a software issue.Who knows. He also said that it only happens with Netflix,not with any other channel or service provider, and it only happens when he's streaming movies with DD+audio with CC enabled, from Netflix.
post #24 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you like sci-fi and horror,you'll find TONS of it with a Roku.There are a LOT of developed channels that carry that material. Netflix has "Columbo" I would have to go thru the many diff. channels offered by Roku,but i 'think'you can find episodes of "Modern Marvels" along with episodes of other shows along those lines. You should also check out Internet Archives,they have a lot of old movies there too,and a few tv series that are in the public domain. Don't know if you're into old radio broadcasts but they have literally hundreds of "Dragnet" radio shows there at IA.

Not into Horror at all.
I like the old Sherlock Holmes radio shows. I also like the old Sherlock movies with Basil Rathbone and Nigel bruce (I won't watch any other Sherlock movies but those).smile.gif
post #25 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

You will find a few Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies on Netflix and 1 or 2 other 'channels' but not all the movies are available. I bought all 14 Sherlock Holmes movies fairly cheap. I agree that the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies are the best. smile.gif they're the only ones i watch too.
post #26 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You will find a few Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies on Netflix and 1 or 2 other 'channels' but not all the movies are available. I bought all 14 Sherlock Holmes movies fairly cheap. I agree that the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies are the best. smile.gif they're the only ones i watch too.

Yes, I bought them as well.
post #27 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Holy cow! I was just looking at content available for Roku and the list of private channels alone is impressive! Then looking at all the Free content that comes with the Roku + the private channels + the third party free channels and then if one adds Netflix you end up with more channels and content than cable and sattelite combined! If I did this and didn't find anything I wanted to watch, I'd have to have myself locked away in a mental institution or something. Now I'm thinking I'd be insane not to get one of these and should have done so sooner instead of living without some of the shows I like for the last 6 years after cancelling cable.
post #28 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Catastrophegirls website probably has the most complete list of channels private or public on the internet. www.catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com You can read and learn about the Playon platform there too. The Playon platform is used in conjunction with the Roku. It can expand your channel base.

OH, if you like classic tv shows then you probably like "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". Both Hulu and Netflix have it. They carry ~150 eps. apiece.
post #29 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Am I reading correctly? I was reading about PlayOn on the DisasterGirl site or whatever it's called. Do I understand correctly that there is an annual fee? I thought PlayOn was more like a root or hack helper and not a service. I'd much rather learn how to root or mod the thing.
post #30 of 44 Old 11-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

There are 3 levels 1 is free 2 an annual license,the 3rd. is a lifetime license. IIRC they are offering a special deal but it ends tomorrow(unless they extend it). You can by a lifetime license and get a free Roku LT for $60 bucks,or a lifetime license plus a free Roku HD for $80 bucks. The Roku HD doesn't have an ethernet port,only the 2XS has that. Don't know if there are any diff. beyond that.That's catastrophegirl. 'Course there ain't much diff. between a catastrophe and a disaster biggrin.gif A lot of people have the free version cuz it offers Hulu in a way that can be streamed to your tv via the Roku instead of it only being available on your computer. The Playon platform is a service. I'm not familiar with the term "hack helper". confused.gif Just google playon.com that should take you to their website. I tried to post you a link here, but for some reason it won't work.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page