Long term DVD ripping file suggestion: ISO vs. .vob - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings all, newbie to 'media-player world' and looking for input from people with experience. My main goal is to rip TV Show DVDs to an external hard drive for ease of access and plug that into some type of player. I currently have a PS3 and have done some experimenting ripping to .vob format, which the PS3 plays well. Seeking suffers, but I can live with that for TV Shows and not buying a new device would be a plus. HOWEVER I noticed .vobs aren't necessarily a clean 1 episode to 1 .vob, but I have found guides on this subject so it doesn't seem like an issue.

My question is the long-term happiness using one format over the other. Are there issues I may find with .vobs (audio, etc) from time-to-time that may make it not worth it and would only appear on a TV Show to TV Show basis? Should I just use ISO's from the beginning and not deal with .vobs and buy a dedicated media player? I just don't want to put in a lot of work and say "Jeez, I wish I had ripped ISOs instead" Basically soliciting input from someone that has ripped their TV Show DVD collection and how their experience was overall.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-28-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 332
The format you use depends on the experience you want. First off the PS3 is not a good streamer, it is a game console. A real media player like a WD Live ($90) will play a wider array of formats and give you a better overall experience.

I have WD Live players and about 800 TV series DVD's stored on 6TB of network storage dedicated to DVD.iso. For TV series, I rip the full disk to a DVD.iso file. Playback on the WD Live provides the same experience as if I inserted the original disk into a DVD player -- full menu support -- just about every media player you can buy these days has full DVD menu support. I then use the on-screen original DVD menu to select the episode I want. This is the viewing experience I want so I use full disk DVD.iso. I simply cannot be bothered ripping individual episodes to discrete files. Others may feel differently.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
VOB2MPG is what your looking for.

It scans DVD's for video streams then extracts the video/audio to a standalone .mpg container, it is especially useful for TV show DVD's as you can get each episode out cleanly as a single file. Plus the PS3 supports .mpg files so you have compatibility with it and any other future player.

If you plan on using ISO you will need a new media player Kelson describes.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for the tip Alx330, do you know if this applies any compression? Couldn't tell from the site.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

It does not compress, it only assembles the .vob segments into a single .mpg file. Be aware that in switching to an .mpg container you will lose chapter points and may lose subtitle support. This may not be important to you, but at least you are aware of it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think it would be less work in the long run to buy a device that plays .ISO. Most aftermarket streamers and HTPC software will play them just fine. Then just rip to .ISO for shows and movies.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I have WD Live players and about 800 TV series DVD's .

You been happy with the WD Live?
post #8 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sMetalForever View Post

You been happy with the WD Live?
Completely satisfied. It is rock solid for DVD.iso and the UI can be as pretty as you want it to be. I have two of them in play streaming from network storage. Support is good, they have issued 11 firmware updates for the Live-SMP since its release. I had the Live + first; I bought the Live-SMP within a couple weeks of its release. Assuming it maintains the streaming feature set, I'll buy the next-gen model when it is released later in 2013 and dips below $100.

Since I rip full disks, I especially like the fact that I can rip a complete box set of a TV season to DVD.iso in under an hour with no more effort than it takes to feed the disks into the drives (I rip two at a time) and click the start button on DVD Fab. Ripping individual episodes would be so incredibly time consuming -- I would rather spend the time watching the content. The Live-SMP writes bookmarks to the storage device so it remembers where it was in a DVD.iso. If you are watching a series from the start, you can do a "Play All" from the menu and just turn off the Live-SMP whenever you have to stop viewing. When you come back later and replay the DVD.iso file it asks if you want to Restart or Resume playback so you can pick up right where you left off. Since it writes bookmarks for each DVD.iso file, there is no limitation in how many DVD's it can "remember".

- kelson h

post #9 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Since it writes bookmarks for each DVD.iso file, there is no limitation in how many DVD's it can "remember".

Huge thumbs up on that! Now how does it know what a 'series' consists of? If I have 10 ISO files for Futurama, say 3 episodes each, is it based on whats in the same folder? Also I assume this is ONLY on Play All mode? No indicator like in Netflix showing that you've watched something (red bar)
post #10 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sMetalForever View Post

Huge thumbs up on that! Now how does it know what a 'series' consists of? If I have 10 ISO files for Futurama, say 3 episodes each, is it based on whats in the same folder? Also I assume this is ONLY on Play All mode? No indicator like in Netflix showing that you've watched something (red bar)
The bookmark is for a specific DVD.iso and is based on the name of the DVD.iso file (i.e. "Futurama S1 D3.iso" or however you want to name it) and is stored in the folder the .iso is stored in. You are playing each DVD.iso as if you were putting the individual disks in a DVD player. Each DVD.iso gets it's own bookmark. The bookmark takes you back to wherever you left off in the DVD. I typically do not use the Play All selection from the menu and go to the episode index. Typically with a commercial DVD, after I finish an episode and let it play out it returns to the episode menu and the next episode to watch is highlighted. I turn it off there and when I later Resume playback of that DVD.iso it takes me back to the episode menu with that next episode to watch highlighted -- just like I left it.

So wherever you are in the DVD.iso is remembered whether it is in an episode or a menu screen.

- kelson h

post #11 of 18 Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So wherever you are in the DVD.iso is remembered whether it is in an episode or a menu screen.

No sh*t! wow, the one feature I had little hope for and you're saying it exists! Cool, thx - another nudge for going ISO smile.gif Any idea is most media players would do this with ISO?
post #12 of 18 Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Completely satisfied.

So from my research the biggest complaint I find on the WD Live is a 'compiling' issue, meaning when you add new files to an external hard drive. Any idea if this was relegated to a certain firmware release and has been resolved? I see the 1.12.14 firmware update states: "Updated media library scanning performance for USB HDD." - any idea if this is true? This could be a deal-breaker for me if not. thx
post #13 of 18 Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that was a complaint about using the media library function in early firmware issues. Read back here 4-5 months and I don't think anyone has been complaining about it. I don't use the media library and prefer to use folder based lists. TV shows are easy to organize that way -- a main folder for the show, sub folders for each season and the DVD.iso files of the disk set in each season folder. I have 50 disk images from the Stargate SG-1 series tucked in under a single root folder name. There is never any compile issues with lists.

- kelson h

post #14 of 18 Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think that was a complaint about using the media library function in early firmware issues.
OK, so what's the difference between the two settings; does the 'media library' setting use thumbnails or something?
post #15 of 18 Old 01-13-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

To close this out I've been using the WD Live for a while and am happy with .ISO format rips. As Kelson stated bookmarks are created to remember where you left off, just like a DVD. The only compiling issue I've come across is having mass media on an external. I "commented out" the folders I didn't care for the WD to see (place a period in front of the folder name) and then it compiled fine. There were thousands of mp3s in these folders and I think it just choked on them.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Support is good, they have issued 11 firmware updates for the Live-SMP since its release.
Try 16, betas not included.
Quote:

Ripping individual episodes would be so incredibly time consuming
Really? Write one batch for DVDFab and it's done (or rip to MKV).

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #17 of 18 Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

Try 16, betas not included.
You are quoting a post of mine from nearly 14 months ago in a dead thread.

- kelson h

post #18 of 18 Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Which only stresses your initial point of WD's continued support for their player while your other statement being as wrong back then as it is now wink.gif

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page