Please help me optimize my LAN network streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got an Xbox 360 and have been trying to get HD streaming from my PC to work, but I just can't seem to get a decent enough speed (it only gets to "acceptable for TV" but not "HD" levels on the Windows Media Center extender tuner). Every time I google information about how to improve it I get so incredibly confused by all the acronyms and configurations, so I'm wondering if someone can give me some basic tips on how to improve LAN speed (why can't networking/streaming be simpler since so many consumer devices provide it now??).

Here is my basic setup:

Frontier FiOS service 15/5
Actiontec wireless N router MI424WR-GEN2 rev. F with firmware 20.12.2.4 (set up in living room behind TV/Xbox)
Router set up: WEP , channel 11 frequency, Compatibility mode (802.11b/g/n),

Xbox connected to router via Cat5 ethernet (static IP set, using Google public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.44)
PC connected to router wirelessly (802.11n Ralink LAN card with latest firmware)
(PC is in the office about 10 feet from router with 1 wall between)

I have no complaints about internet speed on my PC. Even though it is wireless I have no problems getting my full download/upload speeds as verified by Speedtest.

I also have no problems watching HD Netflix content on the Xbox 360.

I just can't seem to be able to stream HD content from the PC to the Xbox, even when there is no other traffic on the LAN.

One thing I thought might be the problem was the router being in "Compatibility Mode(802.11b/g/n)", but when I tried to change it to "Performance Mode (802.11n only)", none of my devices (PC, iPhone 4, iPad 2) could connect to the router at all anymore, even though they are all 802.11n. I've tried tweaking a few other settings based on things I've read on the internet (e.g. set a static IP for the xbox), but either it didn't help or I could no longer connect to the router, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any help/tips would be appreciated. If more info is needed on my setup I'm happy to provide it. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Your problem is you are using wireless.

Which sucks for 'real' high bitrate HD content.

internet HD content is about 1/10th the bitrate of high-end local HD content.

Netflix streams HD at like 5 mb/sec.

The max bitrate for bluray is 54 mb/sec

Most wireless can not consistently deliver better than 20-30 mb/sec.... a few higher end units, in a perfect world, can approach 50ish, but not many and not often.

To confirm, plug the PC and the Xbox, physically with Ethernet cables, into the same physical switch/router and I bet everything works perfect.

If running wired long-term is not an option then you'd have to look into things like powerline ethernet or MOCA.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Change your router WiFi settings... Get rid of WEP and use WPA2. You can't get 802.11n speeds using WEP, you are stuck on 802.11g rates.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page