New to serviio--completely lost with mapped drives/folders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using serviio to stream my pc files to my new Sony BDP-S790. All the folders shared and were populated successfully on the Sony, except for all of my mapped drives. They show up in the Serviio browser list on the S790, but are empty. It says "no playable files". I have a desktop computer with multiple external hdds attached, and access these through my laptop with mapped folders.
I haven't been able to find instructions on how to resolve this problem.
I'm using "add local" for local folders, and "add path" for the mapped/shared folders. And I'm adding the path the same either way, eg
A local folder: M:\Movies
A remote folder: N:\Videos

Is there some other way I should input the path?

I've double and triple checked my sharing and security settings on the remote computer and all seems fine there. In addition, I've always had these folders mapped to the laptop so there has never been any issue accessing them. Also, I had no trouble setting up these folders with the PS3 Media Server I used to use...but I really prefer Serviio, and would hate to go back.

I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried changing serviio's logon from local system to "this account", in which I enter my username here on the laptop. I found that suggested here: http://supremetechs.com/2012/01/12/adding-shares-serviio-library/
It will take the name (I've found that if I input a name that doesn't exist or is somehow wrong, I'll immediately get an error and be unable to apply), but once I restart serviio with that new username, I get error: 1069. So I have to revert back to local system account. I've checked and unchecked "allow service to interact with desktop" and that has made no difference. Then I thought maybe the user name I need to enter is the one on my remote computer, since that's where these problematic drives and folders reside, but it wouldn't accept that user name at all.
I've also tried inputting the remote drives in several ways, eg:

add local: I:\
add local: \\LION\My Book (L)
add path: I:\
add path: \\LION\My Book (L)

Those four are all the same drive. If I get the address by going into the drive via mapped, I get the the I:\ address. If I go into the drive under network, I get the \\LION\My Book (L) address. This is just one example--applies similarly to all my mapped/remote drives/folders.

I always force refresh afterwards and wait to see if files will start adding, but they never do. I've even left it alone for several hours to see if it at some point will start to add, but again nothing.

And I've found one additional problem. In at least one of the folders that I successfully added to serviio and shared to the S790, at least half the files within are not showing up. There are multiple subfolders within that larger folder--lots--and I wonder if that's the problem. Is there any limitation with folder depth or something similar? I removed the folder where I noticed this problem and am in the process of re-adding it, which takes some time. I'll know soon if that solved the problem. Otherwise, another mystery to me.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Update: No luck re-adding that folder. The majority of subfolders within the larger folder are still showing up empty. "There is no playable file." The files within are absolutely supported by serviio and the Sony, it's just not reading them or adding everything.
So stuck.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
First, make sure you're using the bravia 2012 profile, not the default sony blu-ray profile. Sounds wrong, but the latest sony firmware broke compatibility with that profile. Also realize it can take a very long time, possibly days, to get a complete file list, especially if you have meta data turned on (I leave it off).

You mentioned some other DLNA servers in another thread. I've never had any luck with them on my sony player. Serviio has worked the best by far for me.

If you still have trouble, the serviio forum is probably your best bet since the developers hang out there and are the real experts.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I did post the same thing to the serviio forum, just haven't heard back yet.
I did set it up with the Sony Bravia 2012 profile. I read that early on, and remembered to do it.
And I turned metadata off--the Sony can't read it anyway, and I read as you said that it really slows things down.
I've had serviio running on and off, mostly on, since Wednesday.
I think it comes down to correctly adding those mapped folders.

After making this post, I found something on another site that seems to address my issue. They explain a fix, but I can't quite figure it out--maybe you can. This was for the TVMobili server, which I briefly tested out, thinking that maybe serviio was just never going to work right for me. But even though the instructions were written for TVMobili, I can at least figure out that they are universal.

Here's what they said:
TVMOBILi will happily stream content from a network share, to add a network share to TVMOBiLi you need to do the following:

Windows:
Adding content using a mapped drive is a little bit of a problem on Windows due to the way that Microsoft map network drives on a user by user basis and not machine basis. This means that drives that you map using explorer are not visible to TVMOBiLi. Here's Microsoft's official line:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

To solve this problem you need to do the following:

1) Open Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services and right click on the tvMobiliService in that list.
2) Choose 'Properties' and change the logon account that the service uses to be your own personal logon account for Windows.
3) Restart the Service.
4) Ensure that there is a user on your NAS box that is EXACTLY the same as your Windows user account. Most NAS boxes provide you with an admin interface to accomplish this.
5) Use the full UNC path (\\sever\share) to add the NAS box into TVMOBiLi.

So, steps 1-3 are what I had tried before without success. I've retried it several times since too.
But, step 4 was never mentioned before. Now, even though the guy mentions NAS box, I'm pretty confident that his solution would also apply to a networked share. I just don't understand what he's saying.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 PM

i know this is an ancient thread, but a user may find it by searching, and he or she will then find this response: in situations like the one you describe, first look for cyrillic or other "non standard" charsets in the directory or file names - even in the metadata! Serviio has few shortcomings, but the undocumented behavior of "ignoring" cyrillic (and other) object names is one of them.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page