Need help with software for ripping movies to store on NAS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently in the market to get my first media streamer and I have been reading a lot of the threads here to educate myself on the subtle differences in the various models. I just finished building a NAS to store all of my home media on (Synology DS412+) and my goal is to rip my movie collection (2d dvds and bds) and store them on the NAS. What do you all recommend for software to do this? Sorry if this has been answered before. I searched for a guide for this sort of thing but was a little overwhelmed with the options. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I use Anydvd Hd

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

I use it for both my Blu rays and dvds.

My set up
Synology ds1812 and Dune media players. For dvd i rip with any dvd and use dvd shrink to create a main movie only iso. Blu rays rip with Anydvd and use clown bd for main movie only.

Another good one is dvdfab. What is your final outcome ie dvd iso or are you going to re-encode?
post #3 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm venturing into uncharted territory with this project so I'm not sure which final filetype/outcome is better for what I need. Ideally, a media streaming solution that will play just the main movie (no need for extras on the disk) to my movie room via cat5. I gave up on a wireless solution as soon as I read through the nightmares others had on the forums. I don't think my available storage space on the ds412+ can handle a 1:1 ratio (~42gb) per bd movie. I read that clown_bd reduces the final file size substantially but I wasn't sure if there was any quality issues in doing so.

What are the benefits of just ripping the dvd to an .iso file rather than re-encoding it?
post #4 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by northman11 View Post

I am currently in the market to get my first media streamer and I have been reading a lot of the threads here to educate myself on the subtle differences in the various models. I just finished building a NAS to store all of my home media on (Synology DS412+) and my goal is to rip my movie collection (2d dvds and bds) and store them on the NAS. What do you all recommend for software to do this? Sorry if this has been answered before. I searched for a guide for this sort of thing but was a little overwhelmed with the options. Thanks in advance for any help.

MakeMKV. Fast and simple and compared to AnyDVD or DVDFab it's cheap.

Looky here!
post #5 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northman11 View Post

I'm venturing into uncharted territory with this project so I'm not sure which final filetype/outcome is better for what I need. Ideally, a media streaming solution that will play just the main movie (no need for extras on the disk) to my movie room via cat5. I gave up on a wireless solution as soon as I read through the nightmares others had on the forums. I don't think my available storage space on the ds412+ can handle a 1:1 ratio (~42gb) per bd movie. I read that clown_bd reduces the final file size substantially but I wasn't sure if there was any quality issues in doing so.
What are the benefits of just ripping the dvd to an .iso file rather than re-encoding it?

File size. I'm basically leaving the main movie untouched (each dvd iso for me averages around 4 gigs) I have the possibility of using 18 hard drives(with the expansion models) so space for me isnt a concern. You could try to re-encode the dvds with something like handbrake the blu rays with something like BD Rebuilder and see how you like the quality.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Any BD software for ripping on a Mac?
post #7 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAVJunkie View Post

Dvdfab has a Mac version of their software. I think you can download and try it for 30 days.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

MakeMKV.

Looky here!
post #9 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to play around with some of the programs you recommended.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Handbrake is one of the more popular ones.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My process is a 2 stepper and adds a couple of extra steps to make sure I get exactly what I want every time.

1 - Run the BR through BDInfo and identify the main playlist with the movie.
2 - AnyDVD HD running in the background
3 - Load the main playlist with TsMuxer (free program) and choose the streams that I want to keep and strip the rest out. Rip to a single .m2ts file with Tsmuxer

30-45 minutes later you'll have a single uncompressed movie file that will play back on almost anything, but the size could be anywhere from 13GB to 45GB. For my handful of favorites like Gladiator, Heat, Fight Club, etc., I just store them like this. For everything else, I go to the next steps and shrink the size.

4 - Load .m2ts file into Handbrake or Ripbot264.
6 - I usually encode to an .mp4 with 2 audio tracks. The first is a 2-track .aac (128kbps) and the second is a 6-channel .ac3 (448 kbps) or DTS track. This usually guarantees that it will playback on almost any device.
5 - h264 settings: I downscale most movies to 720p unless it is something that really benefits from being in 1080p. I use 2-pass and a bitrate of 2200-2500kbps on 720p and 6000kbps on 1080p. The advanced settings are up to you and can have huge affects on quality but also how long the encode takes. I usually plan on 8-10 hours with and AMD Phenom x4 955. I usually end up with 3-4GB 720p and 7-8GB 1080p files that look great on my 50" plasma from 10 feet away. If my TV were larger or I sat closer, I may be more liberal with the bitrate.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post

My process is a 2 stepper and adds a couple of extra steps to make sure I get exactly what I want every time.

2 - AnyDVD HD running in the background
3 - Load the main playlist with TsMuxer (free program) and choose the streams that I want to keep and strip the rest out. Rip to a single .m2ts file with Tsmuxer

30-45 minutes later you'll have a single uncompressed movie file that will play back on almost anything, but the size could be anywhere from 13GB to 45GB. For my handful of favorites like Gladiator, Heat, Fight Club, etc., I just store them like this. For everything else, I go to the next steps and shrink the size.

4 - Load .m2ts file into Handbrake or Ripbot264.
6 - I usually encode to an .mp4 with 2 audio tracks. The first is a 2-track .aac (128kbps) and the second is a 6-channel .ac3 (448 kbps) or DTS track. This usually guarantees that it will playback on almost any device.
5 - h264 settings: I downscale most movies to 720p unless it is something that really benefits from being in 1080p. I use 2-pass and a bitrate of 2200-2500kbps on 720p and 6000kbps on 1080p. The advanced settings are up to you and can have huge affects on quality but also how long the encode takes. I usually plan on 8-10 hours with and AMD Phenom x4 955. I usually end up with 3-4GB 720p and 7-8GB 1080p files that look great on my 50" plasma from 10 feet away. If my TV were larger or I sat closer, I may be more liberal with the bitrate.

You don't need to use tsmuxer if you are going to feed it to handbrake anyway. Just have anydvd rip to disc. Hand brake might also just accept the bluray as input, I know it will for DVD.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

You don't need to use tsmuxer if you are going to feed it to handbrake anyway. Just have anydvd rip to disc. Hand brake might also just accept the bluray as input, I know it will for DVD.

True, but it doesn't take any more time to rip with Tsmuxer than it does with any other method and when I'm done, I have a single, uncompressed .m2ts file that is already muxed correctly for streaming to most devices. I often rip and encode in different sessions and I'll often watch the movie in the uncompressed format the first time and then encode if I think it has the potential for multiple viewings. I never encode straight from the disc because the optical drive is too loud to just let run for 6-10 hours, not to mention wear and tear.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-11-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

How good is BDInfo at picking the correct main playlist when the disk has been authored with multiple playlists to thwart ripping.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #15 of 20 Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:

How good is BDInfo at picking the correct main playlist when the disk has been authored with multiple playlists to thwart ripping.

It gives you a list and you have to choose which of the list is correct
post #16 of 20 Old 12-17-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

So, in other words it does nothing to help you choose the correct playlist from the 20 or so that may appear in the list.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #17 of 20 Old 12-18-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
From my experience, this is what works best for my set up: 10TB unRaid server, which streams to Dune D1 and PCH-A210, and tablets.

Software:
1) AnyDVD HD for encryption removal.
2) ClownBD for BD folder structure main movie only.
3) MakeMKV for DVD single file main movie.
4) I only do DVD TV Shows as ISO's with AnyDVD HD.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #18 of 20 Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 AM
bk

I play MKV movies via a WD Live Streaming Media Player (SMP), and the MKV's were ripped with MakeMKV. With over 500 movies (dvd and bluray) ripped and played this way I can comfortably recommend the combo.

Couple caveats:
  1. MKV just gives you the movie - no menus, etc.
  2. If you rip a bluray and want subtitles to work on the WD Live SMP you need to re-encode the bluray subtitles with gzip since that's what the WD player expects. I use MKVMerge for this ripping the bluray with MakeMKV.
  3. WD Live SMP doesn't support DTS-MA, but I'm willing to accept this limitation since it works well otherwise.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Liked: 27
Like the other users, I use AnyDVD HD and ImgBurn to create 1:1 ISOs and to rip to the harddrive. From there you can find the main movie within the folders and create a main movie only ISO. You may have some issues with finding the main title with movies like Safe and Hunger Games but for the most part you can find it. I've also used MakeMKV as well and it is a very useful package. Is there a particular format you want/need to use? If you want to stream through an Xbox360 or PS3 then there are certain formats that they support. I use XBMC for playback. It works really well with the *.mkv and most *.ISO files. There are a few ISOs I have where XBMC chooses the incorrect title, Battleship being an example.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:

So, in other words it does nothing to help you choose the correct playlist from the 20 or so that may appear in the list.

Nope, but usually it is one with more files rather than less.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page