LG SP520 No FLAC No DTS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up one of these yesterday at Frys for $25, marked down from $90. When I set it up I found out why it's so cheap. It doesn't recognize movies with DTS and it doesn't recognize the free lossless audio codec format. eek.gif I made sure it had the latest firmware but still nothing. How can a company that's supposed to be on the cutting edge sell dinosaur crap like this?

I currently have an older Patriot Box Office media player and a Roku box sitting next to the tv. The Patriot plays DTS movies and flac audio files perfectly but it doesn't have any smart tv features. The Roku box streams Pandora, which is all my wife is interested in. I was hoping to combine the 2 with the SP520 but missing those 2 formats renders the box worthless mad.gif

Before I take it back are there any hacks or external drivers that would make the LG recognize those formats? If not, can you recommend any High Definition media players that stream like the Roku and work like the Patriot? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Nope nothing you can do, most big name AV devices only cover the basics they because are not based on a dedicated media platform but done in house.

You could use a transcoding DLNA server, which converts media in real time, though you'd likely need an LG profile which does that. The newer 2012 generation LG TV's have DTS but still no Flac. Try Serviio or Mezzmo and use a Blu-ray player LG profile if one is available.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpassa View Post

I just picked up one of these yesterday at Frys for $25, marked down from $90. When I set it up I found out why it's so cheap. It doesn't recognize movies with DTS and it doesn't recognize the free lossless audio codec format. eek.gif I made sure it had the latest firmware but still nothing. How can a company that's supposed to be on the cutting edge sell dinosaur crap like this?
I currently have an older Patriot Box Office media player and a Roku box sitting next to the tv. The Patriot plays DTS movies and flac audio files perfectly but it doesn't have any smart tv features. The Roku box streams Pandora, which is all my wife is interested in. I was hoping to combine the 2 with the SP520 but missing those 2 formats renders the box worthless mad.gif
Before I take it back are there any hacks or external drivers that would make the LG recognize those formats? If not, can you recommend any High Definition media players that stream like the Roku and work like the Patriot? TIA

Well LG does have to be mindful of the murky legal waters surrounding content. The PBO and other Chinese media boxes have been playing loose with all of that. Ever notice how they don't have access to premium content?

Basically you won't find what you want in one box. To handle ISO playback, DTS audio, etc.... have a look at the PCH-A400, Dune line.

You can run the Plex media server which will act as a DLNA server to the SP502.

For $25 the player is fine. It's not as though the Roku or any other bigger name media player will do what you want. DTS downmixing requires licensing.

In any case I would try Plex for both the Roku and the SP502.

philip
post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

I returned the LG to Frys. While I was there I noticed the LG smart Bluray player was DTS compatible. Since they license the technology for one device I don't see why they couldn't have licensed it for all of them. I saw a Sony media player with all of the features of the LG plus DTS for $59 but they were out of stock on them. So it can be done and probably for a good price with the holidays coming up and sales to lure you in. Worse comes to worse I can convert flac to mp3 so I can work around that but no DTS is a deal killer for me. Maybe some day LG will offer a new ROM flash that fixes the problem but I'm not hanging around to wait for that.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I returned the LG to Frys. While I was there I noticed the LG smart Bluray player was DTS compatible. Since they license the technology for one device I don't see why they couldn't have licensed it for all of them. I saw a Sony media player with all of the features of the LG plus DTS for $59 but they were out of stock on them. So it can be done and probably for a good price with the holidays coming up and sales to lure you in. Worse comes to worse I can convert flac to mp3 so I can work around that but no DTS is a deal killer for me. Maybe some day LG will offer a new ROM flash that fixes the problem but I'm not hanging around to wait for that.

Of course the licensing can happen. Depends on the product, price, etc ... There are Sony products which do not support DTS. There are LG which do. Not sure why you would be unnerved because a lowend streamer did not.

Philip
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Of course the licensing can happen. Depends on the product, price, etc ... There are Sony products which do not support DTS. There are LG which do. Not sure why you would be unnerved because a lowend streamer did not.
Philip
They don't consider themselves a low end streamer and a device that doesn't do what you want it to do isn't a bargain at any price. However, if you don't mind it not having those features it's on sale again at Frys for $24.95 until Dec. 6th
post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

It doesn't recognize movies with DTS and it doesn't recognize the free lossless audio codec format. eek.gif

Is there any streaming device that does DTS? Are there any streaming service that has DTS?

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Is there any streaming device that does DTS? Are there any streaming service that has DTS?

Yes, there are plenty of them. Just look for the DTS logo on the box. I am currently using a Sony SMP-N200 but many other manufacturers also make them
in price ranges from the mid $20 to over $200 depending on what features you want.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page