DLNA Server Options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I currently have a WD NAS cloud drive or whatever they call it. It's their myBook where the only connection is a LAN port. I love it when it works and I hate it when it hangs or freezes which happens more and more the more you use it. This morning I had a particularly frustrating episode with it where I had to reboot it twice just to get it to allow me to delete a file. Grrr. So I started thinking about replacement options.

So I'm looking for referrals for reading material. I have extraordinarily cheap tastes, way more than you would believe so any retail product you are going to recommend is probably going to cost more than I am willing to spend. So what I want to know is how does all this stuff work - NAS and DLNA and how does that stuff work.

My TV has a remarkably functional DLNA client (NOT smart TV) so I use that to watch almost all my movies and other video content.

So blogs, articles, references? Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just look at DLNA on Wikipedia if you want to get a general idea. Word of warning DLNA is barely a standard, consider yourself lucky that your set up worked well, DLNA is rife with incompatibilities necessitating device profiles on the server to work around them.

As to replacements you could get quality and save money, buy a Synology DS112J and cannibalize the HDD from the My Book for use in the DS112J. The HDD will get erased so back everything up beforehand. The Synology is a better quality NAS devices and comes with a DLNA server built in with options to use other DLNA servers.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Synology is $150 on Amazon with no drive.

even though the WD "Live" drive is frustrating, it beats the smack out of all other NAS options on price.

A 3TB drive is $180 on Amazon.

Again, somewhat frustrating user experience at times but at that price difference, it's hard to get too excited about any other options.

The best I can do to match price is with a device I found on wirecutter : ZyXEL $90 - http://www.amazon.com/NSA310-Network-Attached-Storage-Server/dp/B005TJLU24/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2FILXFCCARSE3&coliid=I25YRFPS5YP5UH

and then match that up with a $90 2 TB hard drive - you're still at $180 and you have less storage than the WD model.

I guess until the cloud drive breaks down completely (I do back it up about once a month), I'll stick with it.

Also, I've tried to cannibalize WD external drives before and they appear to use some kind of proprietary connector which confounds me to no end. I really wish I didn't have to buy WD products (I've had tons of issues over the years with WD drives) but they are the only company that really does a great job of offering quasi-functional products at really appealing prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

also on the subject of how lucky I am that my TV works so well with DLNA - boy don't I know it. I got the TV through slickdeals at fry's for $400 and it has been an unexpected blessing to say the least. Who would have thought that LG would cram such an amazingly functional DLNA client into an otherwise unremarkable 47" LCD?

post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If you google removing hard drive from my book it shows most use a standard sata connector I haven't heard of any using a custom link.

Personally I don't think penny pinching on such poorly performing devices is worth it if they only cause you grief, sometimes it's worth paying extra for a better quality product. LG are one of the better behaved UPnP/DLNA devices but many of the other TV makers are not.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yah this is what I was getting at in my original post - nobody seems to hate spending money as much as I do smile.gif

also, I just remembered that it was my fantom drive that had the custom data connector, not the WD so maybe I could cannibalize the WD LIve drive if needed.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've been playing around with DLNA servers for a few weeks now trying to find the best balance for my Oppo player as well as the Roku and WD TV Live players.

I run two servers at the same time. oShare (free) is used primarily for the Oppo, as it works best for it IMO. I use Plex for the Roku, as it seems to work best for it. I also run Air Video Server for my iPad and iPhone (prefer it over the Plex right now).
post #8 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post

I've been playing around with DLNA servers for a few weeks now trying to find the best balance for my Oppo player as well as the Roku and WD TV Live players.
I run two servers at the same time. oShare (free) is used primarily for the Oppo, as it works best for it IMO. I use Plex for the Roku, as it seems to work best for it. I also run Air Video Server for my iPad and iPhone (prefer it over the Plex right now).

how do u like your wd tv player? does wd / roku play all kinds of movie formats? divx? h.264? mkv?

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page