Advice on Streamer and a few other questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at picking up a couple of Apple TVs to act as front ends for my media server for the 3 TVs I have throughout the house. I've used AnyDVD with ClownBD in the past to convert my Blu Rays to .m2ts but only as a test and haven't actually streamed them so I have some familiarity with the program. I am wondering if there is a program that converts a Blu Ray to a compatible Apple TV format with forced subtitles and HD Audio (DTC, etc)?

If not, is there another route I should be taking? I'm looking for a reliable, high WAF (wife acceptance factor), front end that includes netflix and can stream movies and TV shows from my server.

Although not necessarily a question for this particular forum but I'll try anyway. What do you use to do long video runs? I have my AV rack in a closet and the closest TV is 30+ ft with the longest being 40+ ft, is HDMI acceptable to run at those distances or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by klooney View Post

I am looking at picking up a couple of Apple TVs to act as front ends for my media server for the 3 TVs I have throughout the house. I've used AnyDVD with ClownBD in the past to convert my Blu Rays to .m2ts but only as a test and haven't actually streamed them so I have some familiarity with the program. I am wondering if there is a program that converts a Blu Ray to a compatible Apple TV format with forced subtitles and HD Audio (DTC, etc)?
If not, is there another route I should be taking? I'm looking for a reliable, high WAF (wife acceptance factor), front end that includes netflix and can stream movies and TV shows from my server.
Although not necessarily a question for this particular forum but I'll try anyway. What do you use to do long video runs? I have my AV rack in a closet and the closest TV is 30+ ft with the longest being 40+ ft, is HDMI acceptable to run at those distances or should I be looking at something else?
Thanks for your time.

Apple TV is very picky for playing and streaming ripped movies. In my personal opinion a waste of money. You can't have a reliable and stable media player that can do both Netflix and playing ripped movies. I would recommend for you to either get a roku or Apple TV for Netflix and get a stand alone media player for ripped movie.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

So I should be looking at the Dune or PCH-A400? Or are there more reliable, WAF, options?
post #4 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by klooney View Post

Thanks for your time.

Apple TV is very limited in format support, MP4/M4V is the only choice unless jailbroken. The current generation can not yet be jailbroken. It also requires iTunes so you're server or another computer would need to have this running with the movies linked in order to see them. No HD audio either.

You can decrypt using AnyDVD or DVDFab and then encode to MP4 with DTS-MA audio, burning in the subtitles, using Handbrake. This is just one way, it is time consuming and has a learning curve. If the player supports .m2ts then you won't need to encode but forced subs can be an issue for alot of players.

PCH-A400 is very new and very full of bugs so I would avoid it, the PCH-A300 is no better from what I read. I don't believe Dune has Netflix but they are well regarded for the the most part, they don't come cheap however. There's also the Mede8er players but they don't support Netflix either.

You can take a look at the WD TV Live, it supports Netflix along with more format support...not sure about .m2ts but I think it can. I believe it will pass TrueHD but not DTS-MA, just the DTS core for DTS-MA. At least the WD TV Live Hub did so I would expect the same. Not sure how well it supports forced subs. The WD forum would be a good place to start to get as much info as possible.

I believe 50 feet is the max. on an HDMI cable.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

djc11369 thanks for the detailed reply. It doesn't look like there is much that will fit what I'm looking for. I think I will just run Netflix off of my TV (Sony SmartTV) and skip the whole Netflix experience on a streamer....as far as the other TVs go I'll have to figure out something. I'm definitely not tied to .m2ts its just what I have experience doing with ClownBD but can easily "check a different box" Would it be worth looking at the PCH-A200 (I've seen that its fairly stable) or the WD TV Live as a better media streamer? I wonder if its better to convert HDMI to CAT5 then back to HDMI on the other end to reduce the degradation of the video signal?
post #6 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't know about the A200, I know GusGus has the A210 which he said is a good player. I think the A200 & A210 were the same except the case? They're both old players now though so you'll likely only find them used on places like eBay. Since you crossed Netflix off you're list then personally I'd consider one of the Mede8er players. If you only want 2D then the MED450X2 or MED500X2 will do, they pass HD (lossless) audio and the company supports them well up to this point. They do have issues with forced subs, but you can get around that if you don't need regular subtitles.. You can go the encoding route and burn them in but like I said previously it's time consuming, mostly for your PC as it takes several hours to encode. It really depends on what you want to spend and what's really important to you. You've got lots of reading ahead of you.smile.gif

I haven't read anything on HDMI to CAT5 so I'm no help there.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
HDMI will run that distance just make sure to get an Active HDMI cable like this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9431&seq=1&format=2 and it will give you full potential
post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Top media player right now:

2D
1) Dune (expensive, but it works)
2) Mede8er (a good media player, but I think their jukebox is lacking)
3) PCH A200 / A210 (older model, but works good, lots of different jukeboxes to choose from)

Force subs is something that the Mede8er 1185 base chip has problems with. You will have to turn them on manually. I am not sure about their new 1186 chip based player.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #9 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely agree I have lots of reading ahead of me, I appreciate all the responses and definitely have a good place to start. Definitely not looking at doing 3D anytime soon as none of my TVs support it and I personally think its a gimmick. As far as the Dune players go any recommendations. I don't need a blu ray or dvd drive and I am in the process of building a server so internal storage is not a priority. Any experience with the 303D or should I be looking more towards the premium line?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I would suggest the Dune Smart H1. However, Mede8er came out with a new media player. Med600x3D, which is half the price of the Dune. If you want to save some money, I would suggest the Mede8er instead. The only thing I didn't like about the Mede8er is their YAMJ hybrid jukebox, and it doesn't recognize forced subs. Other than that it is an awesome media player, and their customer service and support is 100% better than Dune.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I would suggest the Dune Smart H1. However, Mede8er came out with a new media player. Med600x3D, which is half the price of the Dune. If you want to save some money, I would suggest the Mede8er instead. The only thing I didn't like about the Mede8er is their YAMJ hybrid jukebox, and it doesn't recognize forced subs. Other than that it is an awesome media player, and their customer service and support is 100% better than Dune.

Is the med600x3d better at music and/or photos? Can it play back BD-J based disks? Full Blu-ray menus? What about it is better than dune other than customer support and 3d?
post #12 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Is the med600x3d better at music and/or photos? Can it play back BD-J based disks? Full Blu-ray menus? What about it is better than dune other than customer support and 3d?

Neither is good at music or photos. I don't think there is a media player out there that is good at music or photos. Most are build for playing movies mainly. Dune is an excellent 2D media player, and jukebox for movie and TV Shows is probably the best. Mede8er is an excellent media, but its jukebox isn't as good as Dune's. However, Mede8er's jukebox is supposed to work for Movies, TV Shows and music. However, I never tried TV Shows or Music with the Meder8er because at the time I owned one (MED500X2) it didn't support TV Shows or music. You should read the Mede8er review Damian did here's the link:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2012/10/24/review-mede8er-med1000x3d/

Home Theater Set Up:

post #13 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The NMJv2 jukebox for music is not bad, it can take a bit to scan your collection into it, but works pretty decent I will setup a test and show it off later. I tested mlknez samples he sent me and all of them played but a track from HD-tracks which the 300 series had problems with them as well so I posted it up as a bug for the powers that be, and it did not play his DSF files everything else worked that he sent. Im not any audio junkie so cant comment on what all I tested. As for pictures never tried NMJ pictures at all, never had the need to.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page