Newbie Question - Can't fast forward or rewind - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone

I just hooked up a ZyXEL NSA-320 media server and copied a couple of ripped to them. They are not in a Video_TS folder and are just the regular .vob files. I am connected wireless (no cat; no way to wire existing house) to a Samsung BD-D5700 DVD player. The player sees the NAS no problem and I can play the movie without any problems. However, the fast forward / rewind button does not work. The DVD player indicates "Function not enabled".

Is it even possible to fast forward / rewind when streaming from a NAS (wired or wireless?). Do I need to convert the .vob files to something else, such as mpeg?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Samsung have their own version of DLNA so a DLNA server needs a custom profile for Samsung to make fast forward and rewind work. What DLNA options are available for the NSA-320 I don't know, if it's running Twonky 7 it should have device profile support, look in Twonky control panel under media receivers or media renderers I forget which. You will see a list of IP addresses and drop down boxes, make sure Samsung profile is tied to the IP of the TV.

If the NSA-320 isn't running Twonky 7 or worse is some unknown server then replacing the server may prove difficult.

If you want DVD's playable through DLNA without converting the video use MakeMKV or VOB2MPG both of those will extract the video/audio to a .mkv or .mpg container.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alx330, thanks for the reply. The NSA-320 is running a "lite" version of Twonky. Not sure which or if I can upgrade / replace it, but I certainly will take a look.

But if I convert the .vob files using MakeMKV or VOB2MPG will that allow me to fast forward / rewind? If there is a better format to store the video for streaming I certainly would do that. I just don't want to lose any resolution in the process. Or am I basically stuck with what I can do with my current hardware. Would buying a streaming media player (Roku, Western Digital) be a better option?

Thanks!!
post #4 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
It's unlikely you will get ff/rw with .mkv or .mpg but it's worth a go at least and the movie is in one file not split up into segments.

A WDTV Live would be a better option, ff/rw should work over DLNA and failing that you can always browse the network share directly via SMB or NFS with the WDTV which defintely would give you ff/rw.

Twonky have guides on how to upgrade their version of the server on their forums for some NAS like WD My Books there might be something there for Zyxel. In fact this thread states the latest firmware for the Zyxel 310 includes Twonky 7 ?

Try updating the firmware on the 320 maybe they included the newer version of Twonky.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page