Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys!!

can you suggest what is better:-
1) buying a combo nas + media player like WD HUB?
2) buying a media streaming box(like WD LIVE etc) and a 1 TB usb hard drive and connecting it to WD live and use it as a NAS and media server?
3) some other setup which can fulfill my requirement in the same price range.

i am a very basic user, i just want a NAS and a media streamer (which can play all major formats) which i will connect to my av receiver and projector. So my major concern is the transfer speeds(all transfers will be wireless) i would get while transferring movie files from the laptop. i currently have a CISCO LINKSYS EA 4500 ROUTER which supports upto 450 mbps but i would be getting 300mbps because of the laptop wifi adaptor limitation.
as i said earlier i am a very general user and would be focusing on only playing movies and watching photos on the projector. i probably wont be using any of the online streaming services.

any and every help would be highly appreciated
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post

hey guys!!
can you suggest what is better:-
1) buying a combo nas + media player like WD HUB?
2) buying a media streaming box(like WD LIVE etc) and a 1 TB usb hard drive and connecting it to WD live and use it as a NAS and media server?
3) some other setup which can fulfill my requirement in the same price range.
i am a very basic user, i just want a NAS and a media streamer (which can play all major formats) which i will connect to my av receiver and projector. So my major concern is the transfer speeds(all transfers will be wireless) i would get while transferring movie files from the laptop. i currently have a CISCO LINKSYS EA 4500 ROUTER which supports upto 450 mbps but i would be getting 300mbps because of the laptop wifi adaptor limitation.
as i said earlier i am a very general user and would be focusing on only playing movies and watching photos on the projector. i probably wont be using any of the online streaming services.
any and every help would be highly appreciated
thanks

I would pick 2 but I would be hooking the external up to the laptop to move files to it.

Bill
post #3 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply bill.

actually i want a setup where i don't have to get up to transfer the files because i download files on three different computers and its just cumbersome to copy files from all those computers in different rooms.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM

I would recommend the WD Live with external HDD attached by USB. I have 2 of the current model WDTV Live with 2 2TB drives attached to each and 1 of the older WDTV Live model that streams over the network from the other two. It works quite well. When the current model WDTV Live is "off" it functions as NAS showing both of the attached drives and allowing me to download and drop my video files directly to the drives. Note that I am using ethernet rather than wifi - in my experience wifi connections from the computer to the WDTV Live tend to be much slower when dropping files onto the attached storage.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page