What do I need to make my PS3, LG 60LM7200, Denon AVR 1613, dell PC, iPhones, and iPads all networked? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I need some help. I want to set up a dedicated network mostly for music and audio sharing but I do not know the first thing about it.

I've researched a bunch of stuff on here but nothing definitive on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Basically I have a Denon AVR 1613 receiver which my cable and ps3 are attached to and it feeds my LG 60LM7200. I want to create an audio network that my Receiver can access and share all my music through so my laptops, ipads, iphones, and receiver can all pull the same music. Additionally I'd like to be able to use the remote app that comes with the Denon on my iPhone but in order to do that it has to all be networked in together. I have a dell PC which I can dedicate as a storage device and I also have a seagate external hard drive I'm not sure if I could also potentially use.

I have a basic Belkin wireless router which is attached to my modem. It is on a different floor than my receiver. Is there a wireless reicever which can receiver the signal and then Ethernet hard wire into my receiver or do I need to relocate the modem & wireless router combo to be where the receiver is and hard wire into it?

Also is there a softwear I can download on my PC which will just make it an audio/file storage device on a network? Or do I just need to set up a shared drive on the PC?

Once again any and all help would be appreciate. I'm a complete neeeewber when it comes to networking and ultimately my end goal is just to have my receiver and iDevices all be able to access music from a central location.

Thanks in advance to any and all advice. Once again I assume I will have to replace/add other components to this to make it work, so any recommendations would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So you've gotta start from the beginning with your network and server and work outwardly from there.

Your Denon is AirPlay capable.....are you using it via your wireless network?
AirPlay works with iTunes running on a network connected PC...do you store your music in iTunes on a network connected PC?

We can work on your network and audio distribution first....video is another ball game altogether.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Network and Audio is the main focus. I appreciate any and all help!!

I guess before I get the Denon on line I need to get a pc networked in?

I have a pc with iTunes and all my music, it's a desktop I dont use anymore because I have a new computer so I was thinking it could be a good designated computer for just this purpose. So I currently have music on the cloud with iTunes and I have it on my pc as well.

The Denon I have I believe doesnt have wifi connection abilities. Which is the other opportunity I have because it's near a cable outlet and would only need a modem to run an ethernet cable out to it.

So should I set up the desktop as a shared computer first?
post #4 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Without a doubt, setup your second PC as a network iTunes server. Simply connect it via Cat5 directly to an unused port on your wireless router.

Now for your Denon, I'd connect it via Powerline Network Adapters. They are so simple to use and plug and play. You can use 100mb models if you don't plan on doing video at some point, but the price difference is so small I'd invest in the 500mb variety. I use the Netgear AV5001 units. The nice thing about Powerline is either unit in a pair can be used as a receiver or transmitter so if for example you buy two pairs, you wind up with the one required transmitter and three receivers resulting in three available zones of networked Audio/video.

You've indicated you have iPads/phones?........if so, the Remote App is an invaluable tool for streaming. You won't have to turn on a TV to operate the Denon's AirPlay, but use the IPad as the interface. There's tons of other things an iTunes network can do, but I don't want to complicate things.....best to concentrate on te core and get that working solid first........but it can be done. I currently run 7 zones throughout my home and yard.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Without a doubt, setup your second PC as a network iTunes server. Simply connect it via Cat5 directly to an unused port on your wireless router.
Now for your Denon, I'd connect it via Powerline Network Adapters. They are so simple to use and plug and play. You can use 100mb models if you don't plan on doing video at some point, but the price difference is so small I'd invest in the 500mb variety. I use the Netgear AV5001 units. The nice thing about Powerline is either unit in a pair can be used as a receiver or transmitter so if for example you buy two pairs, you wind up with the one required transmitter and three receivers resulting in three available zones of networked Audio/video.
You've indicated you have iPads/phones?........if so, the Remote App is an invaluable tool for streaming. You won't have to turn on a TV to operate the Denon's AirPlay, but use the IPad as the interface. There's tons of other things an iTunes network can do, but I don't want to complicate things.....best to concentrate on te core and get that working solid first........but it can be done. I currently run 7 zones throughout my home and yard.

Great I'm going to pick up the powerline adapters today and play with networking it over the weekend! I will get the 500mb ones just like you mentioned just so I have a good core structure laid down.

As far as setting up an iTunes network with the PC is there a feature in iTunes that I need to turn on to make it network? Is that the "home sharing"?

I've got a gen 1 iPad which just sits around and I'm thinking that can be my designated remote/control device for the system.

I actually havent tried gaming with the PS3 online yet so if it's slow running just through the wifi I might also hardwire it to a powerline adapter as well.

Thanks again for you help with this Mayhem!
post #6 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Home sharing is the core with BonJour as the service. Once your Denon is in the network, iTunes should identify it as an Airplay client and display a small blue arrowup box in the lower right corner where you can select it for playback. The Remote App running on the iPad will also display this icon as well as all of your stored music content. Since you mentioned all of your music is on the cloud, you can access it all from the ipad without having to turn on the PC running iTunes......an added bonus. When you're ready for video streaming, you'll be amazed what a few connected AppleT's are capable of.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 PM

hi,

I just bought an Denon 1613 too. Before, I connected my Ps3 to LED TV and I can get 1080p on TV. But, now, with the Denon 1613 sitting between Ps3 and TV, I can only get 1080i.

Do you have this issue?

-Wade
post #8 of 12 Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had the issues with the pass through. I've been getting full resolution.

I tried running the action tec powerline adapters and they would never link. I'm going to return them and try and the net gear ones. More to come later on my networking adventures.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 PM

Can you share how you can get 1080p from PS3 via Denon 1613? I have tried...

1). set deep color to off on PS3(get rid of blue flash line issue but still can only get 1080i)
2). switch to different hdmi on back of denon 1613. no help. still 1080i
3). reset the Video setting by holding PS3 power until PS3 beeps. no help. Still 1080i
4). switch to different hdmi cable(bought from RadioShake) no help

About the powerline, I use Linksys Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit (PLSK400). It works so great that I bought another one. It is much more faster than WIFI.

-Wade
post #10 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadehw View Post

Can you share how you can get 1080p from PS3 via Denon 1613? I have tried...
1). set deep color to off on PS3(get rid of blue flash line issue but still can only get 1080i)
2). switch to different hdmi on back of denon 1613. no help. still 1080i
3). reset the Video setting by holding PS3 power until PS3 beeps. no help. Still 1080i
4). switch to different hdmi cable(bought from RadioShake) no help
About the powerline, I use Linksys Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit (PLSK400). It works so great that I bought another one. It is much more faster than WIFI.
-Wade

I'm going to explore another brand of powerline adapters as well.

What tv do you have? Perhaps it's the tv that's limiting the signal? I have had no issues and just make sure that in the hd setting on the receiver that the pass through is turned on and also check the settings on the ps3 to make sure it's outputting the appropriate signal as well.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl Hometheater View Post

I'm going to explore another brand of powerline adapters as well.
What tv do you have? Perhaps it's the tv that's limiting the signal? I have had no issues and just make sure that in the hd setting on the receiver that the pass through is turned on and also check the settings on the ps3 to make sure it's outputting the appropriate signal as well.

If I connect PS3 to my TV then I can get 1080p. I am thinking Denon 1613 is doing something so the max resolution can only go to 1080i.

Can you tell me how you turn on the hdmi pass-through on Denon 1613?
post #12 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadehw View Post

If I connect PS3 to my TV then I can get 1080p. I am thinking Denon 1613 is doing something so the max resolution can only go to 1080i.
Can you tell me how you turn on the hdmi pass-through on Denon 1613?

Never mind. I bought two AmazonBasiv HDMI (with ehternet) and it just works now smile.gif
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Lg 60lm7200 60lm7200 60 1080p Led 3d Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page