Xtreamer DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,
I'm looking at Xtreamer DVD. I need your advice. I'm not a newbee for media players, i've been in this business for some time. Currently i have a WDTV LIve Streamer (gen3) which kind of sux. Does what it should but it's slow and feature poor.
What I would like to achieve is that i can finally entirely disconnect my DVD player and the WDTV Live and have only one device for the following purposes:
- Play original DVDs
- Play Xvid DVD rips and 1080p H.264 MKV content mostly from my Synology NAS through a wired LAN connection
- Play HIGHRES Youtube videos and possibly some other content from the net
- And be able to use Airplay, so that my iTunes music and videos from my iphone can be played wirelessly on my stereo / TV set. (Youtube, iTunes)

Please let me know your thoughts whether this can be safely achieved by Xtreamer DVD without too much hassle and whether this product is stable enough to serve me for this purposes on the daily basis. The price tag is very attractive, same price as for an Apple TV that would do only the Airplay connectivity not the rest.

Thanks for your thoughts. If someone already has this thing, please share your thoughts on stability and useablity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The Xtreamer DVD is nothing more than an old Realtek 1073 based media player with DVD drive stuck on it. It certainly does not do Airplay and is unlikely to do high res Youtube if at all.

Here is a list of devices with (reverse engineered) Airplay which wont guarantee full compatibility, DRM free media will work and some streaming video sites will work but not always 100%.
1) Pivos XIOS
2) Boxee Box

As you can see it's a very short list, neither will play commercial DVD discs. The Boxee Box is no longer supported and the Pivos XIOS which runs XBMC is still in beta though is the better option long term.

The other long term option is wait for Sigma Designs (people who make chip that powers WDTV & others) port of XBMC to their chips, their version of XBMC will play commercial DVD discs (don't ask why super technical/legal stuff). However you probably wont see any products until 2013.

The only other option for XBMC is a HTPC like a Pulsebox, uses Openelec and plug in a USB DVD drive which should work might want to ask them first just to be safe.

For the AppleTV you can do this, use MKV2MP4 to turn your H.264/MKV into MP4 quickly without converting. Use AVI2MP4 to do the same for XviD/AVI (MPEG4 is part of MP4) and iOS devices will play MPEG4/MP4.

Now get your iPhone or iPad set the Airplay output as your AppleTV and install a basic DLNA client on it like DLNAapp, when you play media it will go straight to the AppleTV.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page