Ethernet over HDMI question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I consider myself pretty literate when it comes to electronics, but I am just now finally taking the plunge into HD and I'm finding a lot of info that I'm not completely sure about. I'm replacing my old CRT television with a Panasonic VIERA TC-L55E50 that I got a great deal on. The tv is "wi-fi ready", that is I will need to either purchase a separate USB dongle to connect to the internet or use a hard ethernet connection to take advantage of the smart features. I don't yet have a Blu Ray player, but will in the near future.

My question is this. I've noticed that HDMI cables now come in ethernet capable varieties - If I purchase a wi-fi enabled Blu-Ray player and connect it to my internet capable television via HDMI cables with ethernet, will my television be able to share the internet connection with the blu-ray player (eliminating the need for a dongle or extra wiring), or does it not work this way? With my searching I can't seem to find a straight answer on this that makes sense to me. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yes HDMI 1.4 added an ethernet channel feature so you could share the network connection on a device with another, though it sort of seems pointless to me any device worth it's salt has an ethernet or wifi link already.

Now whether the BD player and TV support ethernet over HDMI is another matter as it is an optional feature you'll have to go digging into the specifications or contact the manufacturer. Plus you need special HDMI ethernet cables for it to work.

So don't waste your time,hook up each device via wireless or just get an ethernet hub and connect each device to that, if no wireless get an ethernet to wireless bridge (like Airport Express).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page