WD Live Hub replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have kind of a love-hate relationship with my WD live hub. Most of the time it works OK. Other times it is buggy.

Are there any units out there with lots of storage built in but are smoother and more solid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvegas1 View Post

I have kind of a love-hate relationship with my WD live hub. Most of the time it works OK. Other times it is buggy.
Are there any units out there with lots of storage built in but are smoother and more solid?

Why keep the love-hate just for the WD live hub. You can get a lot more gear and share your love-hate around :-).

Because I dont think a one device fits all exists ATM. The closest thing would be a HTPC.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2013, 10:47 AM

I am curious what you found?
Last night, I was without the use of my WD live hub for the second time, the first resolved itself by me leaving it alone for the rest of the night and skipping using it altogether. When I came back a week later it worked.
Last night the unit simply stuck on loading videos. Holding my breath...it is working now after hours of trial and error. I am thinking that I found the culprit (Bad video file) which ultimately kept the unit from playing ANY files that I had on the unit. So I started looking for alternatives, and stumbled across the Pivos and the Matricom G-Box MX2...of which I am liking the MX2 quite a bit.

Again, I am curious what you found. I want something easy to use for the wife as we load these things with our kid's videos for those times when the weather blows and we need to kids to settle down while we clean house etc. Having the WD live hub was ideal until it started to act up...

-CrashMW-
Vizio 60 e601i-a3, Kenwood VR-N8100, 5.1 Klipsch, XB360, PS3
WD Live Hub (1GB), Harmony One remote with PS3 adapter
XB Live: MDW195

post #4 of 6 Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmw View Post

I am thinking that I found the culprit (Bad video file) which ultimately kept the unit from playing ANY files that I had on the unit.
That's a known but. After power cycling you'll be able to play back the good files.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things can only get better
post #5 of 6 Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 AM

Actually, yes and no. Believe it or not, I power cycled the thing 3-4 times before it came back. The unit stopped responding to the power button after power cycling...I though that my unit was dead. Front panel power button failed to work...so I unplugged the unit and waited an hour or so and then the unit came back. Tried playing the same video, and repeated the same thing more or less. What was odd is that I was able to "back" out of the loading screen and even go on to the apps and watch a netflix movie. Only file playback was failing. But the unit playing dead had me searching the web for a WD Live hub alternative, which yielded a few units as mentioned previously and that I may still look into (leaning heavily towards the MX2).
I still cannot seem to get the WD live hub networked to my PC, but I have not searched the web for help either so have not given it 100%.
Having a 2 y/o and a 3.5 y/o make it very difficult to work on things anymore. If they see me fire up the WD, they instantly want to watch one of their movies...if they are sleeping, my wife wants to chill and watch an hour of TV before bed, and that means I have to stay up late. (I'm lazy)

-CrashMW-
Vizio 60 e601i-a3, Kenwood VR-N8100, 5.1 Klipsch, XB360, PS3
WD Live Hub (1GB), Harmony One remote with PS3 adapter
XB Live: MDW195

post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
That's what I meant. When you unplug the device/disconnect it from power, upon next start you should be able to play all files again until you play that bad file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things can only get better
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page